13a Visa issued in USA and what to do after arrival ???'s

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

First let me say how surprised I was at the approval speed of my 13a visa. A few weeks ago I sent in the application and accompanying documents / payment to the Philippine Embassy in Washington D.C. on Tuesday via FedEx second day. Got a text msg Thursday eve from the embassy confirming its receipt. The following Tuesday I got another text msg saying the packet was being sent out. At first I thought I forgot to include or sign something and that it was rejected. On Friday it arrived and much to my delight it was approved (single entry)!

So now to my questions. From what I've read both here on the forum and from other sources I understand that I must report to a BOI office within 7 business days of my arrival....true? Any BOI office (like Cebu or Angeles) or only Manila? It's also my understanding that I'll be issued a permanent 13a visa and not the probationary one....also true? Other then the packet I got back from the Embassy and of course my passport, any other documents I need to bring? It's difficult for my wife to get time off without at least 2 months advance notice and I'll be arriving back home to the Phils in about a month. Must my spouse be with me or can I go alone? 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Gator

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Not sure about the other issues but no, you are not probationary if your 13a visa is issued outside of PI.  Straight to the full thing.  I'm guessing the BOI visit is for biometrics and ACR-I card.  

Glad to hear they're processing 13a's again in their foreign missions.  Might be worth heading back to Australia to get mine done if is it's as efficient as it is in the US.  I know during Covid my 9a was processed surprisingly quickly.  I was going to wait before I came over and do my 13a prior to departure but in the end just bit the bullet; we hadn't seen each other in person for 2 years, I was sick of work and just wanted to be together again.  

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Not sure about the other issues but no, you are not probationary if your 13a visa is issued outside of PI.  Straight to the full thing.  I'm guessing the BOI visit is for biometrics and ACR-I card.  

Glad to hear they're processing 13a's again in their foreign missions.  Might be worth heading back to Australia to get mine done if is it's as efficient as it is in the US.  I know during Covid my 9a was processed surprisingly quickly.  I was going to wait before I came over and do my 13a prior to departure but in the end just bit the bullet; we hadn't seen each other in person for 2 years, I was sick of work and just wanted to be together again.  

Thanks Brett. I'm also hoping thats all the visit is for.....review of the packet, biometrics (again) and an ACR-I card. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gator said:

First let me say how surprised I was at the approval speed of my 13a visa. A few weeks ago I sent in the application and accompanying documents / payment to the Philippine Embassy in Washington D.C. on Tuesday via FedEx second day. Got a text msg Thursday eve from the embassy confirming its receipt. The following Tuesday I got another text msg saying the packet was being sent out. At first I thought I forgot to include or sign something and that it was rejected. On Friday it arrived and much to my delight it was approved (single entry)!

So now to my questions. From what I've read both here on the forum and from other sources I understand that I must report to a BOI office within 7 business days of my arrival....true? Any BOI office (like Cebu or Angeles) or only Manila? It's also my understanding that I'll be issued a permanent 13a visa and not the probationary one....also true? Other then the packet I got back from the Embassy and of course my passport, any other documents I need to bring? It's difficult for my wife to get time off without at least 2 months advance notice and I'll be arriving back home to the Phils in about a month. Must my spouse be with me or can I go alone? 

Thanks in advance for any help!

I did mine in Hong Kong 7 years ago. So, based on my experience  -

When you land immigration will stamp your passport advising deadline to report to BI. 7 days to do so.

I guess not all offices will do the "stuff" but I did mine in Iloilo. The immigration officer will advise on this I'm sure.

Yes, straight to permanent.

The BI will sort out your ACR etc when you visit. Other than cash (can't remember exact amount but in the region of 6-7000 php) you only need the pack. 

Prett6 straightforward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Gator
Posted
Posted

I arrived a few days ago and the process wasn't as straight forward as I had hoped. Going thru immigration at the airport wasn't the issue. After checking the QR code for the health pass I went straight to immigration. No other stations to check you thru now. At the immigration counter the BOI officer simply checked my passport, looked thru the packet, stamped my passport with the entry date (on a blank page and also on the entry visa) and instructed me to report to any BOI office within 7 days.

The following morning I went to the Angeles BOI office. I was told that since Covid they only process visa extensions and ECC's there now. The officer instructed me to go to the Intramuros BOI office. I asked about Cebu and was told they no longer process 13a's issued outside of the Philippines. This was also subsequently told to me at the Intramuros office as well.

At the Intramuros office: told to go to window 1, wait...... told to go to window 2, wait........ told to go to window 7, yup....wait some more to be told to go to window 8. At least no waiting there, lol

The officer at window 8 checked the packet and my passport. She said even though I had a full medical exam it is now required that Bureau of Quarantine do an exam and stamp my passport. She gave me the application for the ACR-I card and info of what I needed to submit. Namely the application, copy of the passport data page, copy of the page with BOQ stamp and copy of the visa page in the passport. All that, along with the packet, must be in one of those long file folders with the metal two hole clasp at the top (inside). The file folders and copies can be purchased from a kiosk directly behind counter 8 (convenient no?, lol).

So off the the BOQ HQ office. As anyone who's been to the area knows, finding a parking space can be a real bitch so left the car and took a trike as it's only about 2km away (cost 120 pesos). Was told by the guard at the BOQ that they do exams by appointment only and the next available date is Dec 23rd! My wife informed the guard of our situation, namely that we were told we only had 7 days to file the 13a with the BOI. The guard could care less, she only repeated her mantra that I had to make an online appointment. No waiting was allowed. I begged, pleaded and offered a donation to her favorite charity (judging from the 3 pounds of makeup she wore, it's herself for sure) to no avail.

Before leaving I logged onto the BOQ website, created an account (took 4 tries as it kept crashing) and found the next appointed there wasn't really until the first week of January. The other BOQ offices in metro Manila don't offer exams for foreigners. I looked at the Cebu BOQ and snagged the next available appointment for Dec 13. Cost for the exam is 500 pesos payable via G-Cash (plus a 50 pesos convenience fee so 550 pesos total).

Before leaving I went to back to counter 8 at the BOI office. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get into trouble because I could not turn in the packet within the 7 day time frame. The officer there was surprised the BOQ would not let me in without an appointment. She made a phone call to someone at the BOQ. After a heated exchange and she hung up she apologized to me saying she hadn't been informed that the BOQ's policy had changed and the no longer accept walk-in's. She did stamp the cover sheet of the packet, dated and signed to prove that I was there. Hopefully that'll be enough when I return to avoid any complications. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Gator said:

She said even though I had a full medical exam it is now required that Bureau of Quarantine do an exam and stamp my passport. 

Yep, I had the same thing almost 8 years ago so it's nothing new and they should make this requirement clear when applying out of country.  Luckily, the BOQ was in the same building and I literally had to go upstairs, answer a few questions, pay the 500php and get my passport stamped and go back downstairs - 30 minutes in total.  Nothing like as complex as your situation.

• Like 2