SRRV or 13A visa?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PaulNeb86 said:

Annual reporting is done at BI, correct? It's only a 90 minute van ride from Catbalogan to Tacloban. I wouldn't call that particularly difficult. If I had to travel to Manila, that would be a little different, but it's still only an hour plane ride added to the trip time. 

Correct.  If you are a senior you can issue a limited power of attorney for someone else to due the annual report for you.  I have done this for the past three years with no problems.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, PaulNeb86 said:

Annual reporting is done at BI, correct? It's only a 90 minute van ride from Catbalogan to Tacloban. I wouldn't call that particularly difficult. If I had to travel to Manila, that would be a little different, but it's still only an hour plane ride added to the trip time. 

You are correct, the annual reporting requirement is not onerous at all.  But, if you are not actually  residing here it will mean you miss the deadline to report and face fines.  If I was not living here on a permanent basis I probably wouldn't have chosen the 13A

• Thanks 1

Walanapera
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

It sounds like 13A is not the correct option for you if you are continually unable to meet the annual reporting requirements.  

You're absolutely correct, but is there a way for me to unenroll from the 13A? I still love my wife and I want to remain married to her, but if I had known that we were going to live stateside for most of our lives, I'd never do a 13A.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, PaulNeb86 said:

Since I'm both retired Navy and old enough to draw Social Security.

That is a unique situation where the SPECIAL SRRV For ARMED FORCES RETIREES may be the best option for you.  I have only know a few retired US servicemen to take advantage of that one but they claim it to be very good.  I suggest you ask those who have that one if they like it. 

That visa is the: SRRV EXPANDED COURTESY

A monthly pension of at least US$1,000.00 and an SRR Visa deposit of US$1,500.00 are required. The SRR Visa deposit includes the principal applicant and 2 dependents.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, PaulNeb86 said:

Not that I haven't heard grumbling about the lack of visa reciprocity. The non-requirement of a police clearance from your nation of origin is a big plus though.

I obtained my SRRV a year ago, no request was made for a police clearance from home country, just a NBI clearance.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Walanapera said:

You're absolutely correct, but is there a way for me to unenroll from the 13A? I still love my wife and I want to remain married to her, but if I had known that we were going to live stateside for most of our lives, I'd never do a 13A.

Divorce?

Joking apart, IIRC the wife is a sponsor of the Visa so maybe it's possible she can withdraw sponsorship without actually separating?  Probably worth asking your BI when you next report?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

I know you can apply to the BI to cancel your 13A ACR card. They have a form for this and a fee around P200 from memory. I found this out as my 13A ran out by 3 years while living back in Australia and after my divorce. I moved back to live here again on a tourist visa and after marrying Cel we applied for a 13A visa for me and found out you must cancel your old card first...I thought if it expired that was it but ...no you must cancel it.

This may be a way to unenroll from the 13A.

• Like 5

PaulNeb86
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That is a unique situation where the SPECIAL SRRV For ARMED FORCES RETIREES may be the best option for you.  I have only know a few retired US servicemen to take advantage of that one but they claim it to be very good.  I suggest you ask those who have that one if they like it. 

That visa is the: SRRV EXPANDED COURTESY

A monthly pension of at least US$1,000.00 and an SRR Visa deposit of US$1,500.00 are required. The SRR Visa deposit includes the principal applicant and 2 dependents.

Sounds like I need to look into that one. Thanks. Time to get working.

• Like 1

PaulNeb86
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, RBM said:

I obtained my SRRV a year ago, no request was made for a police clearance from home country, just a NBI clearance.

Alrighty! Thanks for that info. 

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/28/2022 at 2:17 PM, Mike J said:

If you are a senior you can issue a limited power of attorney for someone else to due the annual report for you.

No need to be a senior, anyone can do it.

On 10/29/2022 at 8:31 AM, RBM said:

Which SRRV did you get it? It's a basic requirement on the form, I know many who had to get one:  Police Clearance (abroad)

Edited by Kingpin