NEXIOM (esomeprazole)

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Any members taking the above medication for acid reflux? I am trying to find out if it is readily available 

cheers

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I have GERD and take omeprazole.   Widely available and I buy it at Generic Pharmacy because it is much less expensive (11 peso for 40mg capsule).  They have both 20mg and 40mg.  No prescriptions required.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Both I and SWMBO have used it at various times, technically it needs a prescription but many smaller pharmacies don't ask for one.

(we had prescription but only asked about half the time)

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike J and Geoff H.

Appreciate your feedback, less I have to bring back.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Widely available and I buy it at Generic Pharmacy

I prefer Lansoprazole, (Prevacid), which is also available at Generics but costs 20 pesos per capsule, (or it did when I was buying it there)

• Like 2

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

When I lived in Australia I was prescribed 20mg Nexium for my acid reflux in place of 150mg Ranitidine which was being phased out due to health concerns by the FDA 

You can get Nexium 20mg or 40mg here from Mecury Drug Store but it is VERY expensive and the generic omprazole although cheaper didn't seem to work for me...generic emprozole worked better but again still rather pricey per tablet.

So I've ended up using Raxide (Ranitidine) 150mg available at all Watsons pharmacies..one tablet with every meal topped up by 4 Sodium Bicarbonate tablets.

Sodium Bicarbonate tablets can be found most pharmacies and only cost around P155 a container of 100 tablets.

It's not an ideal solution but is a much cheaper one. 

When I visit Australia I always stock up on Nexium available on prescription discounted price for pensioners.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I used to have reflux, and heartburn almost everyday.  In addition to the burning in the chest / esophagus area, I would get a weird pain in my jaw.  I always carried pepcid or tums in the car.

I have not had reflux or heartburn in months after cutting carbs and following Ketovore way of eating.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for the information, very good.

The surgeon here in Australia that was doing my colonoscopy also decided to do  a endoscopy while I was there, telling me that although I didn’t have any symptoms of GERD, I could quite possibly have it.  Sure enough I had it, the whole nine yards.

Now that I have read up on it,  I realise that my bad breath was not due to beer breath but a symptom of GERD.

Why am I telling you all about this you may ask?

I was advised by a good friend to come back to Australia annually and get checked out, and not getting the checks in country, and as I have an emergency fund for this purpose I used some funds from it.

So there ya go, I was living with a cancer causing ailment and I didn’t have any symptoms.

Food for thought.

• Like 1