Surfing venues

Peter Magnolia
Posted
Posted

I want to know if anyone has made any of the surfing venues their home. My search has revealed Baler Aurora, Siargao Island and Calicoan Island as being likely spots for finding big waves. I'm not a surfer myself but might enjoy photographing these folks doing their thing. Growing up near the Jersey shore I learned to appreciate a dynamic and powerful surf which I'm hoping to find in some of the outer lying islands. 

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I stayed in Baler for a few nights based on its "reputation". Just another crowded Filipino town with lots of people.

Drove outside the town and found a nice quiet hotel where there was a pleasant female receptionist. We ( 3 guys ) moved to the bar where her sister was working.

She had to work hard as were very thirsty. We then asked to see the menu and the receptionist was now the cook.

Nice sea view , but waves, cant recall seeing anything of surfable standard.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Peter Magnolia said:

My search has revealed Baler Aurora

Baler is where typhoons make landfall very often.  I would never live there.

• Like 1

Peter Magnolia
Posted
Posted
On 11/2/2022 at 10:06 AM, OnMyWay said:

Baler is where typhoons make landfall very often.  I would never live there.

Thanks for the info.  Looks like you live in Subic. I don't hear much about that place. I know it was were our base was and may be again. What was the draw for you if I may ask? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Peter Magnolia said:

Thanks for the info.  Looks like you live in Subic. I don't hear much about that place. I know it was were our base was and may be again. What was the draw for you if I may ask? 

The main draw for me was the peaceful neighborhoods, civilized driving on the base, and a lot of expats.  It will never be a U.S. base again but ships stop here quite often.

They surf in Zambales about an hour away but I don't they get big waves very often.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I don't surf, but surfer friends from Hawaii have mentioned Siargao as a place to visit.  It has a young, international scene.  Hopefully the last typhoon did not blow it away.  There is/was an offshore structure two or three stories high structure (Cloud Nine?) where you can watch and photograph surfers.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Hopefully the last typhoon did not blow it away

If you google images for "siargao after typhoon odette" you will see that is exactly what happened.  We can only hope they have rebuilt.

• Sad 2