75 minors ‘rescued’ in Minglanilla

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I sure hope I never get "rescued". :whistling:

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1945000/cebu/local-news/75-minors-rescued-in-minglanilla

POLICE rescued 75 boys and girls who were underage in the southern town of Minglanilla, Cebu on Monday night, October 31, 2022, as part of their One Time Big Time Operation against violators of the curfew for minors.

The youngest was two years old. Majority, or more than 20, were 17-year olds. They were followed by 14-year olds, who numbered more than 10. Nine of the minors were 15 or 16 years old. The rest were 13-year olds (five), 12-year olds (three), 11-year olds (two) and one eight-year old and one nine-year old.

In Cebu Province, minors, or those below 18 years old, are subjected to a curfew from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. unless they are accompanied by a parent or they are out for an essential errand.

According to Mayor Arieza Otida, chief of the Minglanilla Police Station, they launched the operation in all the town’s barangays with the help of barangay tanods.

Otida said they will continue to rescue minors every night.

She said the minors who were rescued Monday night were formally turned over to the Municipal Social Welfare Development Office.

She added that they already warned the parents that if they did not take care of their children they could be charged in court

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I sure hope I never get "rescued". :whistling:

I can just see you running with the youths at night causing trouble :SugarwareZ-005:

• Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Mike J said:

more than 20, were 17-year olds

I sure wish they would "rescue" 17 year olds here in Canada.  If they are out after 11 PM they are surely up to no good.  Of course, if they were 18 they would instantly turn into perfect angels who do not need rescuing.  I wonder, if they were 17 when arrested (er, I mean rescued) and then their birthday started at midnight, would they be released?

• Like 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If they are out after 11 PM they are surely up to no good.  Of course, if they were 18 they would instantly turn into perfect angels who do not need rescuing.  I wonder, if they were 17 when arrested (er, I mean rescued) and then their birthday started at midnight, would they be released?

The Cinderella rule would take affect at midnight. :cheersty:

• Haha 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Rescued... a much misused and over used word here. It implies they did a good wonderful  deed. They use the same wording when barging into places where woman are making money, ( illegally/legally, grey areas )and then basically deprive them of an income. Great job guys.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Freebie said:

Rescued... a much misused and over used word here. It implies they did a good wonderful  deed. They use the same wording when barging into places where woman are making money, ( illegally/legally, grey areas )and then basically deprive them of an income. Great job guys.

Very Filipino though. Use a word that may not match the deed but makes their actions seem positive. 

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Very Filipino though. Use a word that may not match the deed but makes their actions seem positive. 

Corporate speak in any part of the world now.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Corporate speak in any part of the world now.  

Military brass shows up and says "We are here to help", translates to "grab your ankles". :bash:

Edited by Mike J
  • Haha 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

The funny part is that Filipino reporter used scare-quotes, implying the opposite.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

In Cebu Province, minors, or those below 18 years old, are subjected to a curfew from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. unless they are accompanied by a parent or they are out for an essential errand.

No a bad curfew as why are these kids out at that time anyway? Where are their parents if any? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1