Any walkable places with good air quality and decent Internet speeds?

Tobsi
Posted
Posted

I recently arrived in Manila, hoping to spend the whole winter in the Philippines. It's my first time visiting the country. The air quality is obviously terrible in Manila, which is not a surprise since it's such a huge and dense city. But what's a good place to go that has some balance of walkability, good air quality and at least decent Internet speeds? I'm not much for partying. The ideal place for me just has good places to go for long walks and a reliable Internet connection.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum Tobsi! :tiphat:

We have members living north and south east of Manila that have fresh air. They will likely have something to share. 

Walking can be a challenge in Philippines. Few sidewalks or public trails to safely walk. But for sure you can find a place.

Internet can be a mixed bag depending on the area and your idea of what is fast. 

Best move around the islands and you will for sure find a place that meets your needs.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tobsi said:

I recently arrived in Manila, hoping to spend the whole winter in the Philippines. It's my first time visiting the country. The air quality is obviously terrible in Manila, which is not a surprise since it's such a huge and dense city. But what's a good place to go that has some balance of walkability, good air quality and at least decent Internet speeds? I'm not much for partying. The ideal place for me just has good places to go for long walks and a reliable Internet connection.

How far from Manila are you considering?

P.S. As Internet seems a priority for you, most sizeable places have fiber Internet and speeds as good as you'll likely need. For example, here in Iloilo I'm with Globe fiber and get 420mbps without fail at all times. But, I choose my plan - I'm you're renting or something like that you may be less able to control your plan. I know if I was a landlord and doing short-term let's I'd not be providing the most expensive plan.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

Tobsi
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

How far from Manila are you considering?

P.S. As Internet seems a priority for you, most sizeable places have fiber Internet and speeds as good as you'll likely need. For example, here in Iloilo I'm with Globe fiber and get 420mbps without fail at all times. But, I choose my plan - I'm you're renting or something like that you may be less able to control your plan. I know if I was a landlord and doing short-term let's I'd not be providing the most expensive plan.

I'm happy to go quite far from Manila if it means I can find a place I like. I'm honestly shocked at how much the air quality is bothering me. It's like a constant blanket of mild discomfort. Obviously somewhere completely rural is off the table, because I want to be able to do things like walk to the store or rely on being able to get a taxi, and I need some degree of Internet connection. That said, I am currently using a prepaid sim card from Smart for my Internet needs, and can comfortably make do with about 2-3GB of data per day. Probably don't need more than a 10mbps connection. I don't work during this trip, so it's really just for my personal browsing, youtube, Netflic, Skype calls to family, etc.

The only part of the country I'm not considering is Mindanao (except Siargao). My country's ministry of foreign affairs advises against going there, and Swedish insurance companies have decided to follow suit and exclude them from all coverage. I'm also happy to try a few places out for a month or so each, but if I find somewhere that seems a good fit I might just stay there instead.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tobsi said:

You could try Subic Bay Freeport Central Business District.  Several condos around that are walkable to a mall and duty free markets.  Good air. You can walk a lot around that area.  I used to do a 6 mile loop on my bike there.

• Like 2

Tobsi
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You could try Subic Bay Freeport Central Business District.  Several condos around that are walkable to a mall and duty free markets.  Good air. You can walk a lot around that area.  I used to do a 6 mile loop on my bike there.

Thank you. That looks very worth looking into.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Tobsi

Although densely populated, air quality in the Clark / Angeles City / San Fernando area is significantly better than Metro Manila. Plenty of places to take a walk such as malls and the entertainment district as well as nature areas nearby. Internet speed is reasonably fast and dependable too. Trikes are all over; taxis are not as plentiful as in Manila, but they are there and can be easily gotten thru apps (Blue Taxi I believe is now the largest; currently operates only in Pampanga). 

As On My Way mentioned, the Subic area would also meet your needs. 

Guess it also comes down your budget as well. 

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Tobsi said:

what's a good place to go that has some balance of walkability, good air quality

Indoors, inside public malls. Outdoors, inside private gated subdivisions. Since the subdivisions are pricey, many have just given up altogether on walking outside and instead take a taxi to some of the largest malls around, just to walk in them. But if you've got the dough, a place like this is where you go:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tobsi said:

I'm happy to go quite far from Manila if it means I can find a place I like.

I have known so many expats to go to Davao that I am surprised with myself that I never tried it myself.  Its definitely quite far from Manila, but no so much if you fly.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Personally have lived in many different cities here over the years. Without exception have always found nice open areas to walk just outside the city. Garage free clean and with trees.  Many complain how ever its just a matter off getting out and finding places.

Now residing out skirts of Bacolod which is polluted city, (not our spot) especially in the built up areas, being improved by the phasing  out of the smoky jeeps. Within walking distance nice green walks, and if one drives a little, say, 15 minutes remote areas with  trails. Its been the same everywhere I have lived here.    Internet is a bit of a hit and miss how ever the new DITO works fine for us.

The nearby city of IloIlo is very upmarket, clean and may well be worth a look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1