Any walkable places with good air quality and decent Internet speeds?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are leaving for the Philippines in a few days.  She is a walker averaging 5 or more miles per day.  Our plan is to spend several weeks in Baguio City, possible at the former Camp John Hay or within walking distance to Burnham Park.  I don't know about pollution and quality internet, and we were told the city is now overcrowded.  Our recollection is pine trees and cool mountain air.  The elevation is 4,000+ feet accessible by luxury buses from Metro Manila.  It's about a 4 hours' drive according to my recent research.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I don't know about pollution and quality internet, and we were told the city is now overcrowded

Population has grown faster than the infrastructure in much of the Philippines and I think you will find this is true for almost all of the larger cities. 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Population has grown faster than the infrastructure in much of the Philippines and I think you will find this is true for almost all of the larger cities. 

And many of the smaller ones lacked much of the infrastructure in the first place.

What can you say?  It's a third world country with all that that implies *shrug*

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Not worth much, beyond "It's more fun!" ranking scores for marketing. 

Based on actual numbers, the Annual Financial Report on Local Government Units proves that

Cebu has total assets worth P215.270 billion. Rizal, which has assets of P30.637 billion, came far in second place behind Cebu. - https://sugbo.ph/2022/cebu-richest-province-8th-time/

Edited by Kingpin

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Not worth much, beyond "It's more fun!" ranking scores for marketing. 

Based on actual numbers, the Annual Financial Report on Local Government Units proves that

It's really NOT all about the money.  Well, not for me anyway.  

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's really NOT all about the money.  Well, not for me anyway.  

Probably why you chose a small city in the province. 

Your claim here is what I was disproving though:

23 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not true.  

Freebie
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My wife and I are leaving for the Philippines in a few days.  She is a walker averaging 5 or more miles per day.  Our plan is to spend several weeks in Baguio City, possible at the former Camp John Hay or within walking distance to Burnham Park.  I don't know about pollution and quality internet, and we were told the city is now overcrowded.  Our recollection is pine trees and cool mountain air.  The elevation is 4,000+ feet accessible by luxury buses from Metro Manila.  It's about a 4 hours' drive according to my recent research.

City has been horribly overcrowded since past 20 years. Large influx of squatters on the road from Mounrain Province cut down huge number of trees especially from Baguio to La Trinidad.

Not suprisingly many floods there regularly.

Havent been there for 5 years etc. as its just too much hassle trying to get around. No where to park.  And yet despite the obvious overcrowding, they build a large SM mall right in the middle of Baguio.  Which just creates more parking issues.

John Hay used to be nice in its old format with Heartbreak Hill hill on the old golf course. .Hopefully you will enjoy your stay there... but the pine trees and cool air... hmmm... in my view long gone......

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Probably why you chose a small city in the province. 

Your claim here is what I was disproving though:

Huh - I live in the biggest city in my province!  But that apart, I simply don't subscribe to the view that biggest is necessarily best and the data I provided backs that up.  Your random figure of "wealth" doesn't in any way support any measure of quality of life etc.

As to my statement -

Your post stated that fiber internet, Lazada, Shopee, Grab and FoodPanda were not available outside of metropolitan Manila/Cebu.  That is patently not true.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Your post stated that fiber internet, Lazada, Shopee, Grab and FoodPanda were not available outside of metropolitan Manila/Cebu.  That is patently not true.

All of the above (and more) are available in Cagayan De Oro (just an example).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1