Any walkable places with good air quality and decent Internet speeds?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

All of the above (and more) are available in Cagayan De Oro (just an example).

Geoff, I know that and that's the point I'm making (or trying to) with Kingpin!

I'm pretty sure If we did a poll of all members here, we'd find that each and every one of those was available to 90% of us - maybe more.  And not just those of us living in either Manila or Cebu.  

• Like 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Huh - I live in the biggest city in my province! 

You and Kingpin are very similar, in that both of you live in the biggest city in your province...not sure he realises he lives in a province though :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Colsie said:

You and Kingpin are very similar, in that both of you live in the biggest city in your province...not sure he realises he lives in a province though :hystery:

I'll admit I was being a little naughty with that part of my reply, Colsie.  Just for fun though!  

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm pretty sure If we did a poll of all members here, we'd find that each and every one of those was available to 90% of us - maybe more.

You mean I am a minority now!!!!  :Caught:  Moalboal has no fibre, no Grab, no Foodpanda, no hospital.  Hell, we don't even have a Starbucks. :tongue:  What we do have is clean air off an ocean you swim in, friendly neighbors, low crime rate, little traffic, etc.  Basically a peaceful and quiet (well mostly quiet) easy going, laid back lifestyle.   Loving it here and hoping I never have to move to a "big city" like Cebu or Manila. 

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

You mean I am a minority now!!!!  :Caught:  Moalboal has no fibre, no Grab, no Foodpanda, no hospital.  Hell, we don't even have a Starbucks. :tongue:  What we do have is clean air off an ocean you swim in, friendly neighbors, low crime rate, little traffic, etc.  Basically a peaceful and quiet (well mostly quiet) easy going, laid back lifestyle.   Loving it here and hoping I never have to move to a "big city" like Cebu or Manila. 

Very nice to read this post. Surprised no Food panda or grab. 

Can remember diving there around 10 years ago, was pretty crowded and full of rip off trike drivers, some good restos though. Guess the town has been hit by typhoons and the pandemic plus the ever changing rules and entry to Philippines. many like myself whom are keen to travel just wait until everything settles down.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

Very nice to read this post. Surprised no Food panda or grab. 

Can remember diving there around 10 years ago, was pretty crowded and full of rip off trike drivers, some good restos though. Guess the town has been hit by typhoons and the pandemic plus the ever changing rules and entry to Philippines. many like myself whom are keen to travel just wait until everything settles down.

We live in Moalboal town, sounds like you were in Panagsama, about 5 km from us.  Moalboal town is, in my opinion, a place to live.  Panagsama is a place to visit or go have dinner.  You are correct that covid and the typhoon almost destroyed the Panagsama economy.  It is slowly coming back as the tourists arrive but still nothing like what is used to be.  You are also correct about it being crowded and trike drivers ripping off tourists, at least it was.  Several years back one wanted 100 peso to take me home from the bus stop to my house, about a 15 minute walk.  Told him no thanks and the price dropped to 60 peso.  No thanks and the price dropped to 50 peso.  No thanks and walked home.  If the price started at 50 peso, I may have said yes.  Just because I have a white face doesn't mean I am a tourist. :tongue:

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

Your post stated that fiber internet, Lazada, Shopee, Grab and FoodPanda were not available outside of metropolitan Manila/Cebu.

Not true.

I said in Manila and Cebu you're getting services up to Western standards. I also explained why, which you didn't agree with.

15 hours ago, hk blues said:

"wealth" doesn't in any way support any measure of quality of life

And that (mistaken imo) belief is why you chose to live where you live, no need to get defensive about it.

Everyone has different standards of living, OP or anyone deciding where to live in the Philippines needs to experience both the city (preferably around Cebu) and the province. See what's available in the malls, the supermarkets, see what restaurants can be found of Grab and FoodPanda. How long delivery from Shopee or Lazada takes, how many options for Fibr internet there are, how many blackouts there are, how noisy  it is, how secure it is, how much the rent is, etc.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Moalboal has no fibre, no Grab, no Foodpanda, no hospital.  Hell, we don't even have a Starbucks. :tongue:  What we do have is clean air off an ocean you swim in

Exactly, everyone has to decide what's best for them, what their priorities are and what they're willing to sacrifice.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

You are in the minority, Mike.

And that's not always a bad thing - and in this case, almost certainly a good thing! 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Not true.

I said in Manila and Cebu you're getting services up to Western standards. I also explained why, which you didn't agree with.

And that (mistaken imo) belief is why you chose to live where you live, no need to get defensive about it.

Everyone has different standards of living, OP or anyone deciding where to live in the Philippines needs to experience both the city (preferably around Cebu) and the province. See what's available in the malls, the supermarkets, see what restaurants can be found of Grab and FoodPanda. How long delivery from Shopee or Lazada takes, how many options for Fibr internet there are, how many blackouts there are, how noisy  it is, how secure it is, how much the rent is, etc.

I Give Up Shrug GIF - I Give Up Shrug Whatever - Discover & Share GIFs