Any walkable places with good air quality and decent Internet speeds?

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

A hospital, Mall, cinema, over 500 restaurants and a couple of markets. There's also an airport and ferry port on your doorstep.

Boracay is part of a province that isn't completely dull and monotonous, but how do most expats live there, renting a house / owning or renting condo? I think I read land ownership is limited.

Edited by Kingpin

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Boracay is part of a province that isn't completely dull and monotonous, but how do most expats live there, renting a house / owning or renting condo?

Foreigners are not allowed to own land.  Renting or buying a condo for expats is the rule throughout the Philippines.   I have read that much of land on Boracay is owned and/or controlled by the government.

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I second Subic Freeport for walking and clean air, I lived there for 2 years and was also stationed there in the Navy. You can find areas where the streets are wide and there’s almost no traffic, also the jungle is quite stunning and there’s bay views as well. My experience here in the province north of Subic as far as walkability and air quality has not been good, and it may be a problem in a lot of rural areas I think. The burning of vegetation and garbage is constant and comes from all directions. I have a sensitive schnoz and have to neti pot daily or I will get sinus infections. 

Also the roads here are very narrow and winding with blind corners, I had an accident on my bicycle because someone ran me off the road coming towards me in my lane, my wrist is still tweaked after 6 months. I don’t like walking here because of that and the smoke. Also mangey dogs are everywhere.

Colsie
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Kingpin said:

I'm not going to accuse you of being a woman, yet

And I'm not going say that you're a stereotypical "ugly American" even if you are:hystery:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, RBM said:

Snowy you forgot to mention a few very noisy Korean tourists........

Trust me the Filipinos are way more noisy. The resort I live in used to be full of Koreans and even Chinese, you wouldn't know they were there unless you shared a van with them. There's 507 apartments and usually about 400 were full, now with less than 20 rooms let out mainly to Filipinos it's a lot noisier. As soon as they are out of their apartments they talk at full volume even if only 5ft apart. 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Boracay is part of a province that isn't completely dull and monotonous, but how do most expats live there, renting a house / owning or renting condo? I think I read land ownership is limited.

A mix of rented, condo ownership and some have married and bought lsand.  A large percentage of the land here is only tax declared, something like 12% of the island is titled. My condo is titled. 

There's going to be some scary price increases here as my condo when bought has doubled in resell price in the last 5yrs but I bought at a bargain.  Similar sized (64 sqm) are currently going for about 12m but a new resort being built 500m away has just advertised presale prices of 12.2m for a condo one third the size of mine with a final cost of 24m by 2026.  The LGU  are relocating many locals and pretty much making my area exclusive for high end resorts like Shangri La, Crinson, Movenpick and soon to be Vista Land.  A new wide road is currently going in. 

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

My condo is titled.

Freehold or leasehold?

10 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

The LGU  are relocating many locals and pretty much making my area exclusive for high end resorts like Shangri La, Crinson, Movenpick and soon to be Vista Land.  A new wide road is currently going in. 

If it's anything like Lapu-Lapu, that area will develop into another Koreatown.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Freehold or leasehold?

If it's anything like Lapu-Lapu, that area will develop into another Koreatown.

Freehold in perpetuety. So far as I am aware there are no Korean owners yet. A few Americans, Filipinos, Scottish and Eastern European. The main shopping area will be a mix of boutique stores and restaurants.  Many of the condos just going up are going to be condotels for now which seams to be the way Megaworld and Invistsa land are heading

• Like 1

Tobsi
Posted
Posted

Just wanted to say I arrived in Iloilo city yesterday. So far it's pretty great. The esplanade is very nice, the air is better than expected, the Internet is fine, and I found an AirBnB in a good location. Will be staying here for a month, and then we'll see.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2022 at 12:38 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dunning-Kruger Effect

Debbie had a HUGE effect on me, but Freddie, not so much!

136458126.jpg  1581715584Freddy_Krueger.jpg

• Haha 1