Tipping Culture

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Its not as extreme as the US but I'd say tipping is more of a thing here than in most of Europe.
I used to play golf and go shooting now, it's pretty much expected to tip there. Normally notice most Filipinos giving a tip when they get a haircut etc also, wouldn't be the case in the UK.

Strange you say that about haircuts - maybe a Scottish thing but tipping the barber was absolutely normal.   I do agree that most locals tip barbers here too.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It sounds like tips are appreciated in the Philippines.  It is expected in the United States.  

Leaving soon for Los Angeles International Airport for our flight to Manila.  I just need to take our Sprinter RV to a storage facility and call for a Lyft.  The estimated time is 15 hours, 40 minutes on a Philippine Airlines Boeing 777-300.  Older aircraft and older seat configuration, but the direct flight gets us there earlier than through Taipei, Tokyo, Incheon or Tokyo.  I got an email overnight reminding me to be at the terminal 4 hours before departure.  Hah!  This is convenient for the airline since they have to process so many balikbayan boxes.  We travel with one medium and one small suitcase with a combined weight of less than 25 kilos.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Here is an article that says you are on the right track.  I will hide the text of the article because it is long.  The summary is: ". . . wealthy Americans traveling abroad to Europe witnessed tipping and brought the aristocratic custom back with them to “show off,”

http://www.foodwoolf.com/2010/08/history-of-tipping.html

That is a bit old.  Someone mentioned in the comments something I was going to mention here, but the author did not mention at all.

In the U.S., tipping is built into the wage system by business and basically sanctioned by the government.  I'm sure that industry lobbyists have something to do with that.

I just looked up how it works now and it is quite different from how it was when I was familiar with it, in the 70's and 80's.  This will give you and idea:

https://www.minimum-wage.org/tipped

In the old days, employers of tipped employees were allowed to give them a super low wage, and most of their income was from tips.  Wait staff loved it in most cases, because they reported just a token tip amount on their income tax, and the IRS did not care.  Employers love it because their cost of labor was low.  That has changed, and the IRS has implemented methods to try and account for tip income.  In the link above, I think the IRS is why they have some of these structures.

In California and a few other states, wait staff have to be paid the minimum wage, which is $14 now, and they get tips that are really high.  20% standard now?  Not from me, sorry.  At a good resto, that can result in a 6 figure income, and I still think they figure out ways to to cheat on taxes.

My sister was a waitress at a medium to high end resto in Sta Barbara, CA, in the mid to late 70s.  She loved it!  Free meals, big tips with almost no taxes and a fun environment.  Paid her way through school at UCSB.  Back then, the California minimum wage was $1.65 per hour (I worked several jobs for that) and I think she got only $1.00 per hour, plus tips.

A buddy of mine in California married a hair dresser years ago, also 70's / 80's.  She opened her own shop and she made a fortune, with the shop being in a high end area.  Tips were really high and again, most not taxed.  They eventually moved to a more rural area, opened another shop, bought a house on a lake, and lived happily every after, basically from her tips.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 11/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, OnMyWay said:

So no tipping for anything in Australia?

I would be very cautious tipping in a restaurant in Australia.  Here is a quote from one server, I mention it because my brother was a waiter in Australia some years back and said exactly the same thing:

I find tipping to be demeaning and embarrassing . As Australians we do not think we are better than anyone else and the the art of tipping degrades the server to become a servant. https://qr.ae/pvBLsv

Your experience may be different so play it by ear.

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted

It's a rare day when I'm actually the person paying the the bill for anything in the Philippines.  Wife handles all that... and if someone is getting a "tip" I wouldn't know about it.  With that said... I'll admit I've yet to reconcile how fortunate we are to have people in the Philippines who will serve us with a smile, while making 1/10 to 1/100 of what people back in the US make... and they live at a far far lower standard of living. 

Actually never been to Europe or Australia... but both are on the horizon... and no worries... I'll do the best I can to maintain local customs :hystery::cheers:

Colsie
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

Strange you say that about haircuts - maybe a Scottish thing but tipping the barber was absolutely normal.   I do agree that most locals tip barbers here too.

Strangely enough I was in the our local barbers today, the two local guys in front of me just paid the usual 50 pesos, as did I. 

Never seen anyone tip a barber in the UK or Aus either 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Colsie said:

Strangely enough I was in the our local barbers today, the two local guys in front of me just paid the usual 50 pesos, as did I. 

Never seen anyone tip a barber in the UK or Aus either 

Hey Colsie, you didn't tell me you were part-Scottish!

• Haha 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Hey Colsie, you didn't tell me you were part-Scottish!

I don't like to brag about it :hystery:

• Haha 2

Gas
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I would be very cautious tipping in a restaurant in Australia.  Here is a quote from one server, I mention it because my brother was a waiter in Australia some years back and said exactly the same thing:

Your experience may be different so play it by ear.

Seems that people in the restaurant industry in Australia get a decent hourly rate, so it not expected/needed as much to top up their wages. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We have arrived in the Philippines.  PR113 was full and everyone had two or more huge suitcases and two or more hand carry.  It was pandemonium at check-in.  We had requested for two wheelchairs.  My wheelchair attendant was Pilipino and we had a pleasant chat on our way to the gate.  He was very happy with my tip and said, "Thank you.".  The second one took the money without saying anything.  They both bumped fist while walking away, so I guess it was sufficiently generous.

The wheelchair attendants at Terminal 2 were excellent.  The taxi lines were long and no taxis.  They suggested going to the departure area to get one.  My tip was initially not accepted (in case someone was watching).  I was asked to "make it small" and palm it.  Apparently the rule is no tipping allowed.  Both were happy and they waited on the curb until our taxi departure.  No tipping at the hotel.  The night manager accompanied us to our room after special check-in on the 27th floor.  I will purchase a Starbucks gift card for our "Thank you."  He was good, showing my wife how the water filtration system works, the unit washer/dryer, etc.  

• Like 4