Tipping Culture

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

We don't normally tip for anything here.  Maybe around Christmas for the security guards and delivery boys and very occasionally at a nice restaurant if we've been given excellent service. 

longway
Posted
Posted

Before or After? I've seen both. At one company function in the U. S. when we arrived the boss told the waiter " I will tip you 20% tonight instead of 10% so give us great service.". We got Steller service. This was back when 10% was normal, now they expect 15% to 20%, LOL. However for me personally, I do after. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Would it not be normal behavior to start expecting 20% if the average customer is leaving that amount?  Would it not be fantastic when a customer then left 30% in order to get spectacular service?  Would it not THEN be normal behavior to start expecting 30% as the average tip as more and more people leave that amount?  Blame the people who want to leave bigger and bigger tips in order to feel more and more important, rather than blaming the people who grow to expect it.

Spot on.  That is why the majority of expats who live here try to discourage visiting friends and family from leaving large tips.  

Edited by Mike J
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Blame the people who want to leave bigger and bigger tips in order to feel more and more important,

thats me.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We had dinner tonight with local friends and the restaurant menu states, "No Service Charge."  My interpretation was the message meant the customers should add the tip.  My companions said I was mistaken.  It means the staff is already compensated so gratuities are no longer needed.  Furthermore, only "foreigners" leave extra money that will go to the restaurant owners, not to the employees.

• Hmm thinking 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

We had dinner tonight with local friends and the restaurant menu states, "No Service Charge."  My interpretation was the message meant the customers should add the tip.  My companions said I was mistaken.  It means the staff is already compensated so gratuities are no longer needed.  Furthermore, only "foreigners" leave extra money that will go to the restaurant owners, not to the employees.

I'd say your interpretation is correct, at least based on what I've experienced elsewhere.  I've always taken it to mean service is not added so please feel free to leave a gratuity. If they wanted to say no tipping, they'd say so just like anywhere else I've been.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Furthermore, only "foreigners" leave extra money that will go to the restaurant owners, not to the employees.

I drink in a Bar where all tips go to the Owner BUT to make sure our Ladies serving are given what we think they deserve, we give direct and believe me they hide it But.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I drink in a Bar where all tips go to the Owner BUT to make sure our Ladies serving are given what we think they deserve, we give direct and believe me they hide it But.....

Do they let you watch where they hide it. :hystery:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 4