YMCA

Joey G
Posted
Posted

I that 25M?  Nice outdoor pool. I put 2 miles a day in, 4 days a week, at our Y... best exercise you can do. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Joey G said:

I that 25M?  Nice outdoor pool. I put 2 miles a day in, 4 days a week, at our Y... best exercise you can do. 

Yes, 25.  If you see it up close it is very old.  In SBFZ they have a nice new 25 m pool, but it costs p150 a visit or p15000 a year.  The Y is free and we just pay the instructor.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Joey G said:

Is your Y free or there is some kind of membership?  We are thinking about moving to the new pool for the next level for the kids.  The new one is called WOW and is in the middle of a complex of retail and offices.  Next to Remy field, for those of you familiar with the area.  Actually, the WOW pool outfit runs the our classes at the Y.  If we move, we will need to pay a daily pool fee of p150 + the same instructor fee.  Or the pool fee can be weekly for a small discount.

I wish I could still swim like I used to.  Now that I have lost weight I might try again.  I have a shoulder problem that prevents me from a proper crawl, and arthritis in my hip / leg that hurts when I kick.  Mostly I stick with breast stroke now.  If my kids go to the new pools and might join while they have their lesson.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It's a good idea to drown proof children at an early age.  Scandinavian countries require all school age children to learning swimming.  Incidents of drowning is nearly zero.

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

It's a good idea to drown proof children at an early age.  Scandinavian countries require all school age children to learning swimming.  Incidents of drowning is nearly zero.

That's because the water is freezing so very few swim in the open. :whistling:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Yes, I had my step-daughter take lessons at age 10 and she became a good swimmer.  With my 6 and 8 year old, I have been teaching them survival techniques for the last few years.  They were already confident in the water and would not panic if they fell in a deep pool, and they could swim to the side, and more.  Now they are learning all the strokes.  The instructor is good, and has the tools to give them a lot more than I could.  They like wave pools too and the next step in that area is to get them in some larger waves in the ocean.  They also love water slides and have done some big ones!  I wish we have a diving board around here; they would love it!  Especially my 6 year old.  She already does "cannonball!" from the side!

The only problem is my wife.  Not a swimmer.  She is ok as long as she can touch the bottom.  Her whole family is like that.  They grew up on Bohol near the ocean, but like many Filipinos, they are afraid of the water.  Her sister is so paranoid.  When we go to a pool with them (sister, her son 17 and daughter 21), the sister makes them all have full length rash guard, swim vest, water wings, rings, etc.  It is hilarious!  One thing Filipinos don't consider is that long rash guards make it very hard to swim!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

That's because the water is freezing so very few swim in the open. :whistling:

Yes.  Except Scandinavian countries are wealthy which means nearly everyone can afford winter vacations in the Mediterranean.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Yes.  Except Scandinavian countries are wealthy which means nearly everyone can afford winter vacations in the Mediterranean.  

" Incidents of drowning" in the Mediterranean do not count as "Incidents of drowning" in Scandinavian countries.  :hystery::hystery::1927_:  Joke lang.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I was only joking. As a kid I'd swim in the North sea where even polar bears wore a coat. Average temperatures were about 11C or 53F in simplified English. :whistling:  

A quick edit, speaking of drowning and Scandanavian countries a couple of days ago at Ilig Ligan beach on Boracay a Finnish tourist drowned due to the currents, the lifeguard seriously needs educating, he refused to go into the water due to the currents which was fair enough as he as also a lot smaller than the Finn but they are meant to have paddle boards and life bhoys. To make maters worse I saw the video of them trying to resucitate the guy. He'd been non responsive for a few minutes by the time a fishing boat brought him ashore and at no time did they attempt mouth to mouth, just straight into chest compressions. The guys blood was devoid of all oxygen so no way was the heart going to fire up and pump oxygenated blood to is organs. The first rule is two good breaths then 30 compressions and repeat until it's obvious there is no chance of survival.  

Edited by Snowy79