Vacation planning suggestions

fototek1
Posted
Posted

Good day,

We (my wife, my mother [73 years old], and I) will be traveling from Boston to Manila in Feb and meeting MIL then the 4 of us will vacation. We are only in the Philippines for 14 days and trying to come up with an itinerary.  My mother has never been to Asia and none of us have ever been to Coron or Boracay. My wife thinks we can do Bohol, Boracay, Coron, Bataan and a few days visiting Bulacan in the 14 days. I think that is crazy and can't see a way to make it work. Considering the information below, What do you suggest? 

• The main purpose of this trip is to introduce my mom to the beauty of the Philippines while she processes the thought of moving here or going into a nursing home in the US. My mom has mild dementia but still has the ability to make decisions. Most of her family members got dementia and then Alzheimer's. We can afford private care in the Philippines but not in the US. 
  • It is 25 hours travel from Boston to Manila so I am not too keen on jumping on another flight within hours of arrival in Manila or spending the entire 14 days traveling. My mom and I prefer to hike, snorkel, see attractions and eat.
  • My wife is a Filipina and we have visited almost every year for the past 12 years. Normally we stay for a month and see 2 or three places in addition to visiting her family. 
  • We will be including time visiting family in Bulacan and Bataan. 
    • We have a place to stay in Bulacan but we are 2 hours away from anything fun.
    • We have a place to stay right on the water in Bagac Bataan and 3 days here would be nice.
  • My wife and I are open to travel to almost any part of the Philippines but the goal of each trip is to see a place we have not been and also to include time seeing family (but not for to long :shades:). We have been to Bohol multiple times and the only real reason for even considering it this time is our mothers have never been and we know what the attractions are to show them. 
  • And the last big one, is my wife is feeling cheap and doesn't like the idea of spending $300/(P17,000)night plus airfare everywhere. We either need a family room or 2 rooms and my wife still thinks everything is $50. She was never concerned about this in the past when I paid for everything and we were not 2 years away from early retirement (I will be 53).

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, fototek1 said:

My wife thinks we can do Bohol, Boracay, Coron, Bataan and a few days visiting Bulacan in the 14 days.

That would be crazy, especially for a 73 year old.  Moving between each place normally will eat one travel day each move, unless you have a private helicopter.  So that is at least 5 travel days.  Now you are down to 9 days.  I always lay my trips out on a calendar with details.  You may need to consider check-in, check-out times.

We have a place to stay right on the water in Bagac Bataan and 3 days here would be nice.

So does that mean 3 days 2 nights, or 3 days 4 nights?  3 days 2 nights basically means 1 full day there.

And the last big one, is my wife is feeling cheap and doesn't like the idea of spending $300/(P17,000)night

For 4 people, AirBnb usually works out better.  Just make sure you pinpoint the location before booking so that you are close to what you what to see.  If you use your wife's schedule, not have much time to do anything.

• Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, fototek1 said:

My wife thinks we can do Bohol, Boracay, Coron, Bataan and a few days visiting Bulacan in the 14 days.

I'm not sure I get the point of all that if this is the purpose:

5 hours ago, fototek1 said:

The main purpose of this trip is to introduce my mom to the beauty of the Philippines

Relax in a Boracy resort for a few weeks. Or a resort in Mactan, preferably in a villa. Hopping around isn't going to impress anyone more than that, nevermind a 73 year old.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Don is right. 

Think about what's best for your mother.

Choose two locations she would enjoy and stick with that. What your wife suggests is more like a death march not a vacation an older woman with mild dementia could endure. Having your mother in law along may be beneficial to your mom.

You say a modest budget is highly important so perhaps staying at your place in Bagac Bataan for a week would be a good choice?

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

a 73 year old.

2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

especially for a 73 year old

I am puzzled by the reaction to age 73.  Many of the expats I know in the Philippines are about that age.  Is this some form of ageism?  By comparison, my mother is now 87 and its only been 3 years since she quit her gallivanting around the world.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There is a very old film entitled, "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium." about American tourists traveling on a tour bus around Europe.  The pace is one country, one day.  Doable but not recommended.  If you wife insists on a fast pace must see everything plan, I would recommend hiring a Philippine tour company.  Worth the extra fees and the prices won't be discounted.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am puzzled by the reaction to age 73.  Many of the expats I know in the Philippines are about that age.  Is this some form of ageism?  By comparison, my mother is now 87 and its only been 3 years since she quit her gallivanting around the world.

9 hours ago, fototek1 said:

6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

That would be crazy, especially for a 73 year old. 

You left out my context. 

After a 25 hour flight, would I do that schedule of 6 cities in 14 days at age 23?  Maybe, as I was stupid and inexperienced then.

Age 33?  I might have done a business trip with a new city every day or two.  I did not have to pay for it and it is generally not fun.

Age 43?  By now I know that a leisure trip with a schedule like that that is not leisure.  It's torture!  Unpacking, packing.  Checking in, checking out.  Finding transport. Finding food.  No time for anything.  A waste of my leisure dollar.

Age 63?  Hell no!

Age 73 with mild dementia?  Triple hell no!

That being said, it sounds like physically the mom is in good condition and can do walking / hiking.  After the 25 hour flight, everybody benefits from a recovery day after landing.  Or two.  Then go to 2-3 cities where she can take long walks, breath fresh air, and enjoy the scenery.

• Like 5

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Personally I'd limit it to just the two locations with a 24hr pit stop in Manila near to the airport just to get over the travel. 

Once rested head to Boracay for 4 nights as everything is under 5km that you want to see. It has all the bars, restaurants and stunning beaches you'll want with the added bonus of the ability to rent an apartment that sleeps 4 easily and has kitchen facilities. 

Next fly from Boracay to El Nido. There you again have everything within a small area with the added bonus of being 100m from your island hopping trips if you book a room on the beach.  You can literaly jump on a boat at 9am and return home after 4pm having had a great day out and your Mother will only have to walk a few metres and can snorkel and relax until her heart is content. . 

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am puzzled by the reaction to age 73. 

There is 73 and there is 73.... theres the chairs for seniors who sit in malls when they are in 50s and say and look matanda..then theres those who are happily hiking walking running etc etc....73 can be young in outlook and active or 73 can be one foot you know where......

• Like 5

Joey G
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, fototek1 said:

The main purpose of this trip is to introduce my mom to the beauty of the Philippines while she processes the thought of moving here or going into a nursing home in the US. My mom has mild dementia but still has the ability to make decisions. Most of her family members got dementia and then Alzheimer's. We can afford private care in the Philippines but not in the US. 

Have you thought out exactly how your 73 year old Mom is going to legally stay in the Philippines?  Also, she won't be getting Medicare any more if she does live in the Philippines.  Have you ever checked into "A Place For Mom" (Google it)... you get free consultation....it's legit.... very helpful people... lots of options. We used it for my Dad.... it was good.

Tough decisions for sure, I wish you the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1