Abandoned US citizen found dead in Ioilo.

Gustav
Posted
Posted

I feel lucky. I met my Filipina online but we talked for 8 years before we met. It has worked out very well. :)

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Gustav said:

I feel lucky. I met my Filipina online but we talked for 8 years before we met. It has worked out very well. :)

Kinda the same for me.  Only it was 8 minutes texting online.  I told her that I don't get off on chatting online so if she was not willing to meet me in person then this was not going anywhere.  Once she took a bus to Cebu and met me, it worked out well.  Before her it did not always work out well, but I always gave them bus fare home :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

For one I am never surprised, my English  friend here worked in the space  department for NASA, very very bright guy. IQ of almost 130

Met a common working girl in Cebu about 5 years ago, been scammed out of,,,so far P36 million and on going. Bought farm, condos land...... all to live happy ever after.  Her boy friend has also benefited with a new Ducati and nice wardrobe. Plus they just had baby.

Just few minutes ago he texted me again, changing attorneys, has spent P3 million on fees and first case thrown out. He refused to give up and his successful business in Hong Kong has now disintegrated along with his bank accounts,  Has been in a  special ward in hospital and received treatment to no avail. Although he is close to breaking point, refuses to give up,  for sure will end up suicidal.

How does such a bright (ex cheerful) guy around 48 fall so deeply for a low class scammer as to invest everything he has just makes me shake my head in wonderment. Does anyone have any answers???

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

For one I am never surprised, my English  friend here worked in the space  department for NASA, very very bright guy. IQ of almost 130

Met a common working girl in Cebu about 5 years ago, been scammed out of,,,so far P36 million and on going. Bought farm, condos land...... all to live happy ever after.  Her boy friend has also benefited with a new Ducati and nice wardrobe. Plus they just had baby.

Just few minutes ago he texted me again, changing attorneys, has spent P3 million on fees and first case thrown out. He refused to give up and his successful business in Hong Kong has now disintegrated along with his bank accounts,  Has been in a  special ward in hospital and received treatment to no avail. Although he is close to breaking point, refuses to give up,  for sure will end up suicidal.

How does such a bright (ex cheerful) guy around 48 fall so deeply for a low class scammer as to invest everything he has just makes me shake my head in wonderment. Does anyone have any answers???

Intelligent but not smart maybe?  Also, it sounds like she was pretty good at her job so he was dealing with a master at her craft.

As for being in a hole and deciding the best course of action is to keep digging, maybe pride played a part in that.  Or believing that once you've lost almost everything you may was well go the whole hogg - in for a penny, in for a pound if you like.

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

He wasn’t thinking with his big brain 🧠, but rather let the little one 🥖 take over 🤣🤣🤣

Freebie
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, RBM said:

How does such a bright (ex cheerful) guy around 48 fall so deeply for a low class scammer as to invest everything he has just makes me shake my head in wonderment.

Perhaps because he displayed the classic western trait of believing what he was told. This is a country literally of " make believe" and the street smart fellows learn to question things .. the intelligent ones take everything at face value. Sometimes better to be smart !

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Freebie said:

This is a country literally of " make believe" 

Because I'm into annoying ear worms :cheersty:

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Freebie said:

Perhaps because he displayed the classic western trait of believing what he was told. This is a country literally of " make believe" and the street smart fellows learn to question things .. the intelligent ones take everything at face value. Sometimes better to be smart !

There's certainly a clash in cultures here and for the Westerner it could end up pretty bad. Westerners tend to give the benefit of doubt and Filipinos are expecting to get ripped off so some do the ripping off before it's their turn.

It seams that every other month I'm being surprised by my friends relationships, some I wouldn't expect to last 5 minutes going strong others that I had quiet respect for going belly up and there doesn't seam to be a pattern except for the house and land being bought. It doesn't matter if it's one year 5yrs or in my friend's case 15yrs. He had a relationship that I thought was fantastic, he had been with his partner 15yrs and both lived 6 months in the UK, 6 months in the Philippines for years, on the surface they had everything in common including her holding down a well paid job in the UK.

Just last year he pumped his nest egg into building a nice house and also a smaller house and business for his partner's family in the Philippines as they were both going to finally retire. No sooner had he spent his nest egg and his partner moved out, refused to contact him and two months later he finds out she's getting married. He opened up that he had spent his life savings on their future and once his savings were gone so was she, the land and buildings are in her name as he was convinced after 15yrs they'd be together forever, no one saw it coming as they were still doing everything together and on the surface having a great time.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, RBM said:

The answer's been known for a thousand years; love is blind.

Two types of intelligence, and if you don't have experience with the second one - meaning emotional - it can destroy you.  Especially since even 'low class' Filipinas may have PhDs in emotional manipulation. The good ones invest their time and energy into making you happy. The bad ones use you, to make themselves and their family happy.  Experience is the only  teacher. Online dating sites should have a warning for these newcomers.

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

he pumped his nest egg into building a nice house and also a smaller house and business for his partner's family in the Philippines as they were both going to finally retire. No sooner had he spent his nest egg and his partner moved out, refused to contact him and two months later he finds out she's getting married.

Some may say his biggest mistake was buying the big house, I say it was hooking up with a girl who had a big family. They will choose the family first, it's part of their culture. Knowing the ways around this are the keys to expat happiness.

• Like 2