Abandoned US citizen found dead in Ioilo.

baronapart
Posted
Posted

Too many guys who come to the Philippines suffer from this disease:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, baronapart said:

Too many guys who come to the Philippines suffer from this disease:

I'd go further and say this is another factor that leads to some people putting a target on their own back -

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

The scam is common. Sadly usually happens to the naive or lonely. I worked in SE Asia for many years in the shipping business, primarily in engineering and shipyards. The companies having the ships built would want to bring in western workers early to familiarize them with the ships before they left the yards in China, Korea or Singapore. I always advised them to bring in their people in the last month and no earlier. When asked why I explained they may lose some good senior employees to AIDS if they brought them in too early and let them hang around. One COO said he didn't think his crew would contract AIDS as they were all married and had families. I told him AIDS means Asian Induced Divorce Syndrome, it is very common among the naive and gullible. I even saw a vice president  of a large company succumb. Over 500,000 USD spent for a house in the Philippines which he never got to spend a night in and then his US wife took him for over a million in divorce proceedings. IMHO he got what he deserved.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

They still had their other boyfriend on the side

Also part of the culture, they even make movies and have expressions about it. Worse if the relationship is long distance, and it applies to OFW Filipinos as much as foreigners.

Marriage is actually a solution to keep a wife loyal here, preferably due to the love and commitment part...but lacking that then fear of getting locked up for adultery works too.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

there is good reason that most of us are happily married to Filipinas and that is because Filipinas as a group are to be admired as wives, partners, caregivers, mothers, etc. 

They are indeed, and if they put those admirable traits over the one you didn't mention - daughters, expected to financially support their parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc - then you've won. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

We are beating up some Filipina here and rightfully so but let us not forget about the men who make promises, get a young Filipina pregnant, and then disappears to move on the next victim.   Very few of us have not heard about the boorish behavior and deeds of other expats  Our feelings then is typically one of outrage, again rightfully so.  Bad behaviour comes in all colors, creed, sex, social class, economic class, etc.  It is not uncommon for the old, out of shape, perhaps ugly expat to suddenly find himself being treated as Adonis here.  We should continue to advise caution to prevent someone falling into a honey trap, but there is good reason that most of us are happily married to Filipinas and that is because Filipinas as a group are to be admired as wives, partners, caregivers, mothers, etc.  And it is a bonus that the Philippines also has some of the most beautiful women in the world.  :thumbsup:

I was going to write a war and peace reply but in short most expats are their own worst enemy and leave themselves wide open to being taken advantage of, only the real smart Filipinos can trick a Westerner who takes his time in a relationship and thinks things over before acting. 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

We don't know all the facts in this case but it seems the victim was his own worse enemy. For those who saw the interview he was featured in did he seem mentally competent?

Old age sometimes brings on dementia or diminished capacity. I wonder how many Foreigners have been taken advantage of in those cases? We all should have financial plans for this occurrence to protect how our assets should be correctly distributed once we pass on.

Thankfully most of us are blessed with an honest loving spouse.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

170210202642-anna-nicole-smith-and-husba

:whistling:

• Love it 1