Venomous Snake Bite Death at my house

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:

Sure, but if you look at Snowy's post -

2. DO NOT CUT OR SUCK THE BITE SITE, AND DO NOT APPLY A TOURNIQUET.

It seems pretty emphatic and even capitalised for emphasis.

The reason for not applying a tourniquet is some venom attacks the flesh others attack the nervous system.  An incorrectly applied torniquet can mean amputation at the site of bite where as if the venom is allowed to move around the system it can dilute it and allow for more chance of recovery with minimum damage.  

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Never ever" cut or suck the wound site" (that's definite) and the "do not apply a tourniquet" is also definite however the reason isn't what most people assume.

It is (these days) regarded as something that should ONLY be used by suitably qualified medical professionals (and yes there are tournequet kits available) so the advice to the general public is simple... DON'T use them for snake bite.

Nurses and paramedics however regularly use tournequets for taking blood (since covid they are mostly single use disposable ones) but they don't apply them for extended periods of time hence the risks that are there when using them as first aid for snake bite are absent.  They were included in my first responders bag but I never used them.

I don't doubt you're correct Geoff, but the guidance should reflect that with a disclaimer - imagine a scenario where a medical professional has to spend valuable time convincing a patient that a tourniquet is the correct "treatment" when the patient is adamant that it isn't because they'd read something.  And the subsequent issues when the patient dies anyway and the treatment provided is criticised unfairly.

I just believe that if you're going to give instructions then make them accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I don't doubt you're correct Geoff, but the guidance should reflect that with a disclaimer - imagine a scenario where a medical professional has to spend valuable time convincing a patient that a tourniquet is the correct "treatment" when the patient is adamant that it isn't because they'd read something.  And the subsequent issues when the patient dies anyway and the treatment provided is criticised unfairly.

I just believe that if you're going to give instructions then make them accurate. 

From the Mayo Clinic web site

<snip>

If possible, take these steps while waiting for medical help:

• Move beyond the snake's striking distance.
  • Remain still and calm to help slow the spread of venom.
  • Remove jewelry and tight clothing before you start to swell.
  • Position yourself, if possible, so that the bite is at or below the level of your heart.
  • Clean the wound with soap and water. Cover it with a clean, dry dressing.

Caution

• Don't use a tourniquet or apply ice.
  • Don't cut the wound or attempt to remove the venom.
  • Don't drink caffeine or alcohol, which could speed your body's absorption of venom.
  • Don't try to capture the snake. Try to remember its color and shape so that you can describe it, which will help in your treatment. If you have a smartphone with you and it won't delay your getting help, take a picture of the snake from a safe distance to help with identification.
<end snip>
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
Possum
Posted
Posted

For a frustrating exercise try to find which hospital near where you live stocks the cobra anti-venom. Go to a hospital that doesn't stock it may result in them observing you until dead. I asked and there is no central source of information regarding which hospitals stock anti-venom. Most do not in Quezon Province.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Possum said:

For a frustrating exercise try to find which hospital near where you live stocks the cobra anti-venom. Go to a hospital that doesn't stock it may result in them observing you until dead. I asked and there is no central source of information regarding which hospitals stock anti-venom. Most do not in Quezon Province.

You could try contacting some of these places.

Maybe they can help.Screenshot_20220518-142437.png

• Like 2