What are the customs rules for bringing multiple old laptops to give to family?

nanjero
Posted
Posted

We are visiting family in the philippines.

I am thinking of bringing 5-8 old laptops to give to family.

The laptops are from the e-waste equipment at work so I salvaged working parts and managed to get 5 working laptops. Due to this I wouldnt have any receipts or any proof of purchase.

The laptops range from 4-8+ years old. They are no longer being sold in stores.

They are roughly worth $100-300 from online second hand re-sellers like ebay. In their condition it would be worth much less.

They have clearly visible scratches and wear and tear so I dont think they would be mistaken for being re-sold.

We would bring them in our hand-carry luggage I would have 4 other people coming with me and they would also bring their own laptops so each person would most likely have 1-2 laptop in their hand-carry luggage. If we were asked we were thinking of saying they are for separate personal and work use. We would of course be declaring them at customs.

Will we be asked to pay any sort of import fees or duty or taxes when bringing these old laptops?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's kind of you to share with your family in this way. Welcome to the forum.

First you need to get your story right you are all over the place with the numbers of laptops. Is it five or eight?  If your party is five and each person is bringing one used laptop as a gift that is not unusual. 

It's hard to say for sure what the Filipino custom service officers would do. My guess is it would be allowed without any issues but you must be absolutly honest with them in all regards. Don't tell them anything other than the truth that they are gifts for your family. Whatever you do don't make up stories just tell them the truth. 

Good luck and enjoy your visit!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Under the General Agreement on Tariff & Trade (GATT) agreement, most items brought by visitors into the Philippines and United States are duty free.  Don't declare in the customs form since a laptop and electronic devices are considered personal use.  Chances are your luggage won't be inspected unless contraband is suspected.  They use -ray machines and trained dogs to detect contraband plus the body language of the arriving passenger.  The dogs can even smell excessive amounts of currency. 

Youngster
Posted
Posted

If it helps, back in June 2021, I brought back 2 each of MacBook pros, iPads, and iPhones in my backpack as well as a DSLR in my carry on luggage and small appliances in the boxes. Not stopped for inspection and no problem going through NAIA customs.  I’m curious, has anyone seen them stopping and inspecting anyone’s luggage recently? The last time my luggage was inspected by Philippines customs was back in 1986.  But of course, back then they opened everyone’s luggage unless you slipped a $20 in your passport. 

1DAF09A7-2FB2-42A5-9121-2CFAF74EC0C4.jpeg

Joey G
Posted
Posted

We learned a lesson last trip.... old computers like that just doesn't work out as well as they did 10-15 years ago.  In our case... nobody wanted a computer... just a smart phone.... and amazingly darn near everyone walking the street had one it seemed. We brought a few computers... and they sat on the table, then got moved to the corner cabinet. I'll admit both connected poorly.... and were slower than molasses... maybe it's the weather :sad:

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I routinely bring in multiple electronic devices including 2 laptops in my carry on and I can't remember ever being searched.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I routinely bring in multiple electronic devices including 2 laptops in my carry on and I can't remember ever being searched.  

Same. My wife took several old tablet and cell phones home with her on her last trip for family. No problems at all.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Joey G said:

We learned a lesson last trip.... old computers like that just doesn't work out as well as they did 10-15 years ago.  In our case... nobody wanted a computer..

Very true.  The exception to this is college students who may use a laptop to do research and write papers which is much easier to do on a laptop.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Nanjero never returned after posting the question. :no:

• 4 months later...
Newusernoel
Posted
Posted

Ever hear of upgrading with A SOLID STATE DRIVE Kingston brand more ram and a dri e in a drive bay sata adapter