DSWD rescues IPs begging in Metro

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Call me curious.  Are "rescues" increasing because the vice president of the US happens to be visiting Manila?  :whistling:

https://www.manilatimes.net/2022/11/21/news/national/dswd-rescues-ips-begging-in-metro/1867077

THE Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has started rescuing Indigenous peoples (IPs) who ended up begging in Metro Manila streets.

DSWD Secretary Erwin Tulfo said the rescue operations for Aetas and Badjaos started on Nov. 18, 2022.

In a statement issued on Sunday, Tulfo said that 100 Badjaos from Mindanao were plucked off the streets. He said these IPs will be sent back to their provinces and the government will provide them with livelihood.

"Dati rati kasi bibigyan lang sila ng pagkain, bibilhan ng tiket ng barko at saka pauwiin (The government used to give them food and buy them tickets to return home). You do not solve their problem. They do not have food in their hometowns because they have no livelihood, thus they keep coming back to beg on the streets," the DSWD chief said.

Each rescued IP family will be given P10,000 which they can use to begin a small business when they get back home.

Food packs, as well as hygiene kits, will also be given to the families.

Tulfo gave assurances that the government will help members of Indigenous tribes not only during the Christmas season but throughout the year so that they will not keep going back to cities to beg.

The department said it will also rescue street children in coordination with local government units.

DSWD Undersecretary Denise Bragas said that children who have been plucked from the streets three times will no longer be returned to their parents.

"Secretary Tulfo gave instructions that after three rescues, a child will no longer be returned to his or her parents. The government will take care of them and will send them to school," she said.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

They did the same thing in Sydney just prior to the 2000 Olympics.  I'm not sure they'd get away with it 22 years later.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Call me curious.  Are "rescues" increasing because the vice president of the US happens to be visiting Manila?  :whistling:

https://www.manilatimes.net/2022/11/21/news/national/dswd-rescues-ips-begging-in-metro/1867077

Maybe. There is a long history of cleansing operations before international visits or events.

The government will sometimes spend for purely humanitarian reasons but usually involves some ulterior motive.

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

No Mike J:  and yes old 55 , since being over here full time ,I’ve been watching, ( Manila clean up) YouTube and you’d be surprised at what their doing for Manila. The last President started the ball rolling this one is keeping it rolling and although there has been a bit of resistance, the city is starting to clean up. I could write a dossier on all the changes but a bit of advice, wear shoes not flip flops and a helmet and get used to all the road rules you were used of back home, the movement is coming to your provenance,if not already there. 

As for the humanity side, this is not a first, they’ve tried this , but the last three years that they have been cleaning up, squatters and people living rough, I believe it has been a plan to give them a taste of how Manila will be in the future, not a free meal area.

As for the children, about bloody time, not that I’m against them that have it rough at home, but they have shown some of the background of these children, spare the rod, spoil the kid. Yes there’s clips on homeless kids too and you’d shake your head in disbelief at the do gooders getting in the authority’s way.

These vlogges have been going since early 2019 until present day and their is a promotional clip of what Luzon island will look like by 2026. Yes the PIs are coming of age, it is the changes we’ve been writing about since I’ve been a member and before.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

From what I've seen parts of the NCR have gotten better due to some of the mayors but it varies from barangay to barangay. I don't see any sign of this spreading to the provinces.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Clermont said:

No Mike J:  and yes old 55 , since being over here full time ,I’ve been watching, ( Manila clean up) YouTube and you’d be surprised at what their doing for Manila. The last President started the ball rolling this one is keeping it rolling and although there has been a bit of resistance, the city is starting to clean up. I could write a dossier on all the changes but a bit of advice, wear shoes not flip flops and a helmet and get used to all the road rules you were used of back home, the movement is coming to your provenance,if not already there. 

As for the humanity side, this is not a first, they’ve tried this , but the last three years that they have been cleaning up, squatters and people living rough, I believe it has been a plan to give them a taste of how Manila will be in the future, not a free meal area.

As for the children, about bloody time, not that I’m against them that have it rough at home, but they have shown some of the background of these children, spare the rod, spoil the kid. Yes there’s clips on homeless kids too and you’d shake your head in disbelief at the do gooders getting in the authority’s way.

These vlogges have been going since early 2019 until present day and their is a promotional clip of what Luzon island will look like by 2026. Yes the PIs are coming of age, it is the changes we’ve been writing about since I’ve been a member and before.

I agree with your comments. I grew up back in the age when a kid acting up would be strapped (happened to me a few times) by parent or school principle. I lived a good life in good neighbourhoods, so maybe that is the reason why my parents and schools were quite strict.

L agrees with me that the newest generation of kids seem to be spoiled generally and feel entitled. She still gives a few coins to beggar kids but I do not and suggest she should not as this encourages them... I am not wise or experienced enough to know which is the best action. I pity the kids, but I think the problem lies with the parents... L agrees with that assessment.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On 11/20/2022 at 2:05 PM, Mike J said:

Are "rescues" increasing

What gets me going is the constant use to the term "rescue". OFW's breaking the law trying to sneak out of the country are "rescued". Poor folks from the province make their way to the city, live on the streets are "rescued". Kids running wild in the streets without parental supervision are "rescued".

I am afraid the Philippines is falling into the American trap in that there is no more personal responsibility 

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, scott h said:

"rescued".

I am afraid the Philippines is falling into the American trap in that there is no more personal responsibility 

Not related to the US which has its own problems.

It's always been part of the Philippines oligarchy that the lower class don't have rights and need to be "protected" (ie controlled) by the government. Single women can't even easily leave the country. 

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I couldn’t see much difference either but ( always a but) until recently they started fixing the overhead wiring and sign’s going up about double parking, even seen the police pull up a motorcycle with three on it. I hope the PI,s have come to age.

• Hmm thinking 1