Sour Cream

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

There were a few forums regarding sour cream a few years ago, already. I know I was one of the instigators...

Well, recently, L and I have found real sour cream... It is not cheap, but it is available at select stores. Emborg is the brand name. It is readily available at the local S & R store here in Davao. We have also seen it at some other stores like SM, G-Mall... It is not cheap - costing around P500/liter. However, it is available online for slightly less than that (it is pasteurized and not needing refrigeration)...  I will buy a few from Lazada soon. The main thing is that it is true sour cream - thick, creamy, proper taste and texture of real sour cream - not the watery so-called sour cream that Nestles markets locally. It will also last many weeks in a refrigerator after opening and closing using a clothes pin or other fastener... The killer is the price....

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Baked potatoes with sour cream and bacon bits  Mmmmmmmm:thumbsup:

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Is buttermilk and heavy cream available in your area Tommy?

Make your own sour cream it's so good.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

With shredded cheddar cheese, chives... garlic, salt and pepper, too...

I recently found some huge potatoes at a grocery store - you know, the 1 pound baking size...

2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Is buttermilk and heavy cream available in your area Tommy?

Make your own sour cream it's so good.

I have not seen nor have I looked for buttermilk... but heavy cream is available even at the local convenience store. It is not called "heavy" cream, just cream, so not sure if that is what you are sourcing... It is a Nestle's product.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

have not seen nor have I looked for buttermilk... but heavy cream is available even at the local convenience store. It is not called "heavy" cream, just cream, so not sure if that is what you are sourcing... It is a Nestle's product.

We have 3-4 brands of UHT creams available here.  Very expensive.  I used to buy UHT heavy cream or whipping cream to make keto deserts.

Our dairy delivery has fresh cream and raw milk.  I asked about the raw milk and she told me that they can't deliver it to Subic because because they only get it from the dairy once a week, with a shelf life of 1-2 days, which does not coincide with the Subic delivery days.  I suspect the same for the fresh cream but I will ask.

http://karlensmilk.com/products.php

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Mike J said:

There used to be a place on Capitol Hill in Seattle called the Deluxe Tavern. They were renowned for serving 1 pound baked potatoes as an entire meal. These puppies were loaded with just about everything imaginable and cost, I think $4 way back in the late 70's. Their burgers were also fantastic and the beer was good too. But those potatoes... that is what I strive to imitate always... those huge baked potatoes... I am so happy to now at least have found real sour cream - regardless the cost, but use it sparingly and wisely!

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

ITS SO EASY TO MAKE.....Recently we had a blind taste test, bought sour cream from SM and home made....In every case home made won hands down

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, RBM said:

ITS SO EASY TO MAKE.....Recently we had a blind taste test, bought sour cream from SM and home made....In every case home made won hands down

Good point... We must try that here... You use regular, boxed milk for this, or fresh? And how long will it be good to use?

Edited by Tommy T.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 11/21/2022 at 8:21 AM, Tommy T. said:

it is pasteurized and not needing refrigeration)

Not needing refrigeration so its  UHT and not fresh.  Cebu dairies will make real fresh sour cream if you give them notice but not much good to you if you are not in this area. Emborg sour cream has 24% fat which makes it thicker. 

• Like 2