Senior Citizen Discounts For Non-Filipinos

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Whenever we dine out with friends and relatives, they ask for our US driver's licenses for the senior citizen discount.  The restaurants extend the privilege to us even if we are foreign nationals on balikbayan visas.  I tried it while on our own and yes, the restaurants gave it.  We were informed by one manager that some establishments won't because they are uncertain with the law.  In their case, a photograph is taken of our driver's licenses with a smart phone as proof we are seniors.

Republic Act 9994, commonly known as the Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2010, defines the privilege entitlement as all senior citizens in the Philippines. This includes non-Filipino elderly who have resided in the Philippines for at least six months. 

We now have a local address, The Residences at Greenbelt, if someone were to ask.  I also don't request for the privilege if the bill is less than P1,000.  It could also be just the Makati or Metro Manila area.  Haven't had a chance to get out of the city.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Republic Act 9994, commonly known as the Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2010, defines the privilege entitlement as all senior citizens in the Philippines. This includes non-Filipino elderly who have resided in the Philippines for at least six months. 

I can understand the act refers to current and former citizens of the Philippines who are residing in the Philippines, but nowhere have I ever seen an official statement to say that the act refers to non-Filipino elderly.  No one would ever give me the discount if I told them "JJ said so" and thus I wonder where you have seen this in an official statement, with link.   The act specifically states the definition is "“(a) Senior citizen or elderly refers to any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old;"  "resident citizen of the Philippines" sounds very specific.  Most of us do not qualify as a "citizen of the Philippines"

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can understand the act refers to current and former citizens of the Philippines who are residing in the Philippines, but nowhere have I ever seen an official statement to say that the act refers to non-Filipino elderly.  No one would ever give me the discount if I told them "JJ said so" and thus I wonder where you have seen this in an official statement, with link.   The act specifically states the definition is "“(a) Senior citizen or elderly refers to any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old;"  "resident citizen of the Philippines" sounds very specific.  Most of us do not qualify as a "citizen of the Philippines"

I would argue that it also doesn’t specifically exclude non-Filipino’s.

The word “citizen” seems to be the sticking point. One of the definitions of the word citizen is: “an inhabitant of a city or a town.”  (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/citizen). 

Therefore any person who is a resident of the Philippines and who is at least 60 years of age would qualify for the discount. 

• Like 1

longway
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I just give them my U.S. drivers license and I get the discount. No problem. Just takes them a few minutes longer to get the bill worked out. If you don't want the discount just do what you want, its up to you.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I simply ask, "Do you offer the senior discount if we show you our driver's licenses?"  So far, the response is, "Yes."  If the response is negative, I won't contest it.  My starting amount is P1,000 and higher.  Then the discount is significant at 20% of the restaurant bill and 12% VAT.  

My sister, who is a retired hotel sales director, told us that there are groups of elderly socialites who like to meet at hotels, nurse a cup of coffee, request for free refills, ask for parking validation, and flash their senior discount card.  They are now told senior coffee service is from 2:00 to 5:00, the hours when the hotel is less busy.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Gator said:

I would argue that it also doesn’t specifically exclude non-Filipino’s.

My argument is that the act would be redundant to specify the definition as a "resident citizen of the Philippines" if they simply meant a resident who is a citizen of any country.  If they were NOT specifically excluding non-Filipinos then they could have / would have said "“(a) Senior citizen or elderly refers to any resident of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old;"

I have not said that non-Filipinos cannot get the discount, just that I do not see where it says they are entitled to it.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Whenever we dine out with friends and relatives, they ask for our US driver's licenses for the senior citizen discount.  The restaurants extend the privilege to us even if we are foreign nationals on balikbayan visas.  I tried it while on our own and yes, the restaurants gave it.  We were informed by one manager that some establishments won't because they are uncertain with the law.  In their case, a photograph is taken of our driver's licenses with a smart phone as proof we are seniors.

We now have a local address, The Residences at Greenbelt, if someone were to ask.  I also don't request for the privilege if the bill is less than P1,000.  It could also be just the Makati or Metro Manila area.  Haven't had a chance to get out of the city.

You are not correct in saying "all senior citizens" include non-Filipino elderly.   Why do you think expats carry an ACR (Alien Certificate of Registration) card?  Below is the definition of a Philippine citizen as defined by the Philippine constitution.  What you desire an/or consider to be the law is not correct.   You personally (I assume) fall under category number two and are entitled but we as expats ARE NOT ENTITLED BY LAW!  I am shouting because this false statement comes up every so often and creates nothing but grief. 

The following are citizens of the Philippines:
(1) Those who are citizens of the Philippines at the time of the adoption of this Constitution;
(2) Those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines;
(3) Those born before January 17, 1973, of Filipino mothers, who elect Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority; and
(4) Those who are naturalized in accordance with law. (Art. IV, Sec. 1)

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Interesting topic.  As I approached to senior age many of our local friends were telling me that soon I would be getting discounts on my medications, food, and the like.  I had my doubts but they all told me it was true that even as a US citizen I could get not only get the discounts but could also obtain a senior citizen card.  As I knew some older expacts in the area they also assured me.  So shortly after my birthday we went to city hall, showed my drivers license,(Philippine license) and within a few minutes was given my card along with the books to use at the supermarket.  Never had an issue.  Much better benefits than the US offers.   Enjoy,..it's more fun in the Philippines.  :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Interesting topic.  As I approached to senior age many of our local friends were telling me that soon I would be getting discounts on my medications, food, and the like.  I had my doubts but they all told me it was true that even as a US citizen I could get not only get the discounts but could also obtain a senior citizen card.  As I knew some older expacts in the area they also assured me.  So shortly after my birthday we went to city hall, showed my drivers license,(Philippine license) and within a few minutes was given my card along with the books to use at the supermarket.  Never had an issue.  Much better benefits than the US offers.   Enjoy,..it's more fun in the Philippines.  :tiphat:

If you are not a citizen of the Philippines, both you and the official are breaking the law.  Use the card at your own risk.

<snip>

I know a person who was given a senior citizen card even though the person is not yet a senior citizen. Are there any penalties for a person illegally using the card? What are the penalties?
Yes, R.A. No. 9994 provides that any person violating the provisions of the law shall be penalized by a fine of not less than Fifty Thousand Pesos (Php 50,000) but not exceeding One Hundred Thousand Pesos (Php 100,000) and imprisonment for not less than two (2) years but not more than six (6) years for the first violation.
For the succeeding violation, a fine of not less than One Hundred Thousand Pesos (Php 100,000) but not exceeding Two Hundred Thousand Pesos (Php 200,000) and imprisonment for not less than two (2) years but not more than six (6) years for the said violation.

Any person who abuses the privileges granted under the law shall be punished by a fine of not less than Fifty Thousand Pesos (Php 50,000) but not exceeding One Hundred Thousand Pesos (Php 100,000) and imprisonment of not less than six (6) months.

If you are a foreigner violating any of the provisions of the law, you shall be deported immediately after service of sentence without further deportation proceedings.

<end snip>

https://lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2010/ra_9994_2010.html

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

A bill was introduced  in 2018 to allow foreign residents to acquire the card but it didn't make it through the senate.  So no, even as permanent residents foreigners are breaking the law by obtaining or using one.  

• Like 3