Senior Citizen Discounts For Non-Filipinos

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I could be mistaken that the senior discount privilege is for all elderly residents sixty (60) years old and above.  No violations on my part as a former Filipino citizen (brought an old passport if questioned by Immigration regarding my request for balikbayan status).  My status is also a tax resident of the Philippines through individual and collective land ownership.  One of my sisters takes care of all the paperwork.  I just send money.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

By the way, the request for the senior discount was declined twice so far.  The first was Aquavit Restaurant serving Swedish food and Las Flores which is Spanish cuisine.  Both managers informed our group that the special set menu is promotional in pricing and therefore the discount does not apply.  The others had the government issued senior discount card.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Has 6 months already elapsed since the last discussion on this? For 10 years, we have a heavy discussion on this every six months.  :hystery:

As he has clarified, JJR is a unique situation.  I think he could legally get the OSCA card if he is here 6 months.

Any business can give a discount to anybody, of any age, if they choose to.  If restos want to offer a discount to seniors, that is great.  However, it is mandatory only if the senior has the OSCA card.  That includes all types of businesses that have to honor the senior discount and I think you have to present the booklet too.  If they give the discount without the card and booklet, I'm not sure how they reconcile with the gov.  I think the BIR wants evidence that the transaction was VAT exempt, but like everything in PH, the business can work that out.

After many discussions here and my own research, backed up by several posts here in this thread, I don't think it is legal for a non-citizen resident to get an OSCA card.  That is always confused by, A.  Websites that say you can and B.  Knucklehead members and friends who get them "under the table" from local officials.

Here is a website that says you can get the card if you have a PRA visa:

https://ofwmoney.org/senior-citizen/

They don't seem to understand that the 2018 law did not pass.

Now then, the expat knuckleheads don't seem to mind the risk of being deported, and it is probably true that nobody has ever been deported for this.  For me, I have to have 0% risk of being deported, because I have a wife and 3 daughters here.  There is one expat that got one, and since he is retired police, he would just flash his old badge if anyone questioned him about it.  :hystery:  He ended up self-deporting! :hystery:

When we went to Cebu in July, my wife's cousin said I should get a card, since her expat neighbor has one.  No thanks.  My wife still thinks I should get one, but I told her, "Who will do the housework if I get deported?".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Like so many other issues we face here, what if some smart arse Filipino with a grudge does know the law (unlikely, I know) and decides to use it against us?

Exactly!  You never know when something can come back to bite you when you least expect it!

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm with both OMW and Brett on this.

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, BrettGC said:

A bill was introduced  in 2018 to allow foreign residents to acquire the card but it didn't make it through the senate.  So no, even as permanent residents foreigners are breaking the law by obtaining or using one.  

Correct! I looked into this a few months back following incorrect information from a Filipino who thought, as a permanent resident, I was qualified. Apparently it made it through the lower house but was not signed off by the senate. I asked my lawyer to clarify the situation and he confirmed foreigners are currently NOT entitled to the benefits of the Senior Discount card. Perhaps things will change in the future, but as of now if you have one of these cards, which many seem to do, then they have been issued either in error, or fraudulently! Either way, you take a risk if you are caught!

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I just find it interesting that some are openly advocating breaking the law when in other threads on other issues they're shut down immediately for doing the same.  

Some people like to travel in the slow lane and advocate capital punishment for those who speed in the fast lane.  Most police (we used to have some here, any retired police still here?) . .  anyway, most police will tell you to follow that law yourself but leave the policing of the speeders to the real police.

I see this situation exactly the same way.  I agree that the law is written in such a way that foreigners probably should not get Senior Citizen cards.  I also know that many foreigners ARE offered them and that NONE who accepted them have been charged with breaking any law.  So that seems to be another law where the policing is best left to the real police.  But feel free to turn 'em in if you are offended.

For the record, I have not had such a card or used it, nor do I advocate breaking the law.  I simply say this is a case best left to Philippine Justice.  As far as I know, they have not asked for our help on this one.

• Like 3

softail
Posted
Posted

I don’t have a card and to be honest have taken advantage of the privilege without one. I am usually offered the discount anyway. I usually return the discount to the server as a tip, come to think of it, perhaps that is why I am being offered the discount so often 😆 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, softail said:

I don’t have a card and to be honest have taken advantage of the privilege without one. I am usually offered the discount anyway. I usually return the discount to the server as a tip, come to think of it, perhaps that is why I am being offered the discount so often 😆 

Restos are a fairly minor part of it and they can give a discount anyone.

The big money savings would be in regular grocery shopping, pharmacy, etc.  I have seen people pay 20k or more for groceries, with the card, and apparently most of it gets the discount.  Sometimes it looks like they are buying for a sari sari store.  Other times, they have a group of younger relatives with them.  I doubt that those things get policed much.

• Like 5