Repainting the house

Viking
Posted
Posted

Hello!

After a long wait we are finally back in the Philippines. We will be staying for 5 months in our house to see how we like it when not only for a short holiday.

However, the house is now in a bad need of a paintjob!

Talked to several shops specialized in selling paint but none of them thought it was necessary to clean the surface before painting, they said, just wipe it off with a cloth or use water!

I been doing quite a lot of painting before and I know that it's important to have a properly treated and clean surface, if you want a good and lasting result.

The ceiling in the kitchen is worst, makes sense, but what do you recommend to use for cleaning? Something that is easily available.

Is ammonia and water an option? It was often used in the old days but I am not sure if it is available here? 

Do you have any preferences about brand and type of paint?

Ceilings will be white and I am looking for a paint that will not make me do it 5 times to get a good coverage.

Any info and ideas will be appreciated 👍

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Go to the hardware store, or lazada, and buy TSP, Trisodium Phosphate.  Comes as a powder that you mix with water.  It is a very strong detergent and painters use it to clean walls prior to painting or applying wall paper.   I have used it and it really cuts through the dirt and grease.  Should be perfect for that kitchen ceiling.  Make sure to rinse thoroughly after cleaning.

<snip>The ability of trisodium phosphate to break fats and greases into water-soluble glycerin and soap makes it extremely useful in scouring powders. When combined with abrasives and chlorine-generating bleaches, trisodium phosphate removes cooking grease and stains.<end snip>

Kemrad Trisodium Phosphate Technical Grade 1 kilo

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Don is correct TSP is exactly what you need just add some bleach to it. Be sure to wear PPE, gloves and eye protection.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Don is correct TSP is exactly what you need just add some bleach to it. Be sure to wear PPE, gloves and eye protection.

Who is Don? :hystery:

• Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

How 'bout buying some lead powder and mixing it into the paint :hystery: :gottarun_80_anim_gif:

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Or as a safer alternative use sugar soap. Professionals use this.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

Don’t know if it’s sold there, but whenever I had to paint walls or ceilings that had stains, water marks or was painting a lighter color over a much darker one , I always primed it first with a coat of “Kilz” brand primer.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Don's not here man. 

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Viking said:

Hello!

After a long wait we are finally back in the Philippines. We will be staying for 5 months in our house to see how we like it when not only for a short holiday.

However, the house is now in a bad need of a paintjob!

Talked to several shops specialized in selling paint but none of them thought it was necessary to clean the surface before painting, they said, just wipe it off with a cloth or use water!

I been doing quite a lot of painting before and I know that it's important to have a properly treated and clean surface, if you want a good and lasting result.

The ceiling in the kitchen is worst, makes sense, but what do you recommend to use for cleaning? Something that is easily available.

Is ammonia and water an option? It was often used in the old days but I am not sure if it is available here? 

Do you have any preferences about brand and type of paint?

Ceilings will be white and I am looking for a paint that will not make me do it 5 times to get a good coverage.

Any info and ideas will be appreciated 👍

Plenty of good suggestions from fellow posters on cleaning - personally, I don't bother but I've always lived in new places so it isn't really a requirement.  One lesson I have learned (although not actually acted on:smile:) is to use primer on new walls.

As for brands -  I've painted every room in our house here over the past 3 years so have plenty of current experience! My experience has been both Boyson and Davies are fine.  I also used Triton which was great in terms of coverage but I've noticed over the past year that one of the areas I've used it on has started to become patchy and chalky which hasn't happened with the other brand paint in exactly the same area.  Conversely, Triton enamel is way better than Boyson in terms of ease of use (it isn't too thick) and it stays fine in the tin for longer than Boyson.  The most expensive paint I bought was a dark maroon Boysen special mix and It took 6 coats to cover and that was dark over light so should have been easy!

TIP - I do NOT recommend Rain and Shine (not to be confused with Davies Sun and Rain which is fine), poor coverage and messy.  

Coverage - I always give 3 coats regardless of 2 looking acceptable as I don't want to risk getting everything cleaned and back in place to start noticing patchy areas in certain light conditions. I will say that even using Boyson and Davies on new walls I've needed up to 5 coats on a couple of areas done in white to get that sparkling white finish so be prepared!  Goes without saying but I'll say it anyway - the right quality and type of brushes makes a big difference to the time and effort needed.  I tend to buy cheapo ones (contrary to common sense) as I use them one time only as I can't be bothered with cleaning them.  I also like to use a small 4" roller rather than a larger one as I find it much less messy with spray.

I haven't found humidity a big issue here when painting unlike Hong Kong where bubbling was a big issue.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Anybody tried this?  I bought this gallon at Wilcon after checking many other places.  Primarily I bought it to paint the ceiling and three upper walls of our shower.  It gets molds and mildew there very quickly, and this is supposed to combat that.

They say it is for concrete but I am going to try it on wood too.  The 3 walls mentioned are concrete but the ceiling and trim are wood and/or Hardiflex.  If it seems ok on the wood I might paint my front door with it.  The front door also gets mildew.  The oderless aspect is good for in the house.

316141548_6012220902144105_6724289321059214876_n.jpg