Repainting the house

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Greglm said:

Curious, if the CR has an exhaust fan why does window stay open? The fan would pull in humid outside air thru the window.

I was thinking about that as I wrote it.  I have a boss who does it that way.

• Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm hoping that it will deter mildew on all the surfaces.  The CR has an exhaust fan and an external window left open all the time, so it stays moist.  Every 3-6 months, I have to clean all the upper 1/4 walls (lower 3/4 are tiles all around) and ceiling with vinegar.  I think I will find some TSP and clean with that before this next painting.

Interestingly, we don't have much of an issue with mould or mildew on any of our CR walls or ceiling - in 7 years I haven't had to address it yet.  We do leave the (small) windows open 24/7 but don't use an exhaust fan. I know there are some products available which seal the walls but It's my belief they are designed to stop rain from outside coming in rather than stopping mould or mildew which is likely going in the opposite direction.

Where we do have a problem is on the upstairs terrace ceiling which, despite being open so well ventilated, has a fair bit of spotting.  We dry the laundry up there so I suspect that is a major contributor.  I've added it to my holiday list of things to do! I suspect it's going to end up being repainted and become an annual chore.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/25/2022 at 9:01 PM, OnMyWay said:

Anybody tried this?  I bought this gallon at Wilcon after checking many other places.  Primarily I bought it to paint the ceiling and three upper walls of our shower.  It gets molds and mildew there very quickly, and this is supposed to combat that.

They say it is for concrete but I am going to try it on wood too.  The 3 walls mentioned are concrete but the ceiling and trim are wood and/or Hardiflex.  If it seems ok on the wood I might paint my front door with it.  The front door also gets mildew.  The oderless aspect is good for in the house.

316141548_6012220902144105_6724289321059214876_n.jpg

Freakin monkeys are out of control at my house this year.  I had this brand new paint sitting on the counter in my back lanai.  Pushed it off for fun.

317195784_1521379478386556_758847248573337102_n.jpg

• Sad 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Freakin monkeys are out of control at my house this year.

I am sure its not funny to you, but . .  well :laugh: . .  Could you perhaps bribe them with bananas?