Boganvilleas

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Any members interested in these plants that is willing to share their knowledge?

We have just started gathering some plants and find the information on you tube confusing as not much in English, I realise they have good intentions but no good to me .

TIA

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

As Greg stated Onemore, they are very simple to care for and they flourish as long as they have ample soil for their roots to grow and a moderate water supply.  My wife and I have planted numerous ones/colors around our property and the things we have learned are to 1. Keep them pruned and shaped. 2. They require moderate sunlight to flourish. 3. Moderate water, but do not over water.  Keep the soil moist, but not muddy during the first few weeks of planting or transplanting.  After that, just supplement the normal rainfall to keep the soil from becoming dry. 4.  Give them some space between other plants, fences, or obstacles.  Once they start their growth spurt, only pruning and trimming will keep them from taking over.  But you can prune them to most any shape and size.  They're sturdy, long lasting, beautiful, and bloom often.  Because of their simplicity, we love them.  This is how we have handled them; others might take a different approach.  Good luck to you.

john

• Like 5

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info appreciate it.

Question please. When repotting a bogie do we cut back the plant immediately or wait for a few days, which method causes less stress on the plant?

thanks

Possum
Posted
Posted

I cut back immediately as the roots remaining aren't enough to support the original plant. They are hardy plants and once they get started you'll spend a lot of time keeping them under control. 

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

thanks Greg.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife had me pull out the bouganvilleas in front of my house when she moved in 5 years ago. She said they are thorny and bring bad luck. Anyway, very easy to grow, easy to propagate from cuttings, very beautiful, and they should probably require little help in the Philippines, other than pruning them.

Edited by Reboot

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Reboot said:

My wife had me pull out the bouganvilleas in front of my house when she moved in 5 years ago. She said they are thorny and bring bad luck. Anyway, very easy to grow, easy to propagate from cuttings, very beautiful, and they should probably require little help in the Philippines, other than pruning them.

Ours all died! :hystery:

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Ours all died! :hystery:

What from you think?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Onemore52 said:

What from you think?

Probably the cat's piss didn't help!:hystery:

Joking apart, they were in hanging baskets and I think they didn't get enough drainage so the roots became waterlogged.