2nd trip for 2 months

usa32
Posted
Posted (edited)

I ended up sending my passport and requested information to the Chicago embassy. They received on the 22nd of December. I spoke with them today and they said they received everything, but can't issue a 59 day visa, until late Jan early February, for a March 1st travel date. Does that make sense, based on your knowledge of the Philippine visa system? I figure they would be able to issue a 59 day single entry visa/extension, that say would be good for 6 months. Any feedback is appreciated.   @Gator

Edited by usa32
  • Hmm thinking 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, usa32 said:

I ended up sending my passport and requested information to the Chicago embassy. They received on the 22nd of December. I spoke with them today and they said they received everything, but can't issue a 59 day visa, until late Jan early February, for a March 1st travel date. Does that make sense, based on your knowledge of the Philippine visa system? I figure they would be able to issue a 59 day single entry visa/extension, that say would be good for 6 months. Any feedback is appreciated.   @Gator

Can't see any advantage to what you're doing. 

Just get a renta ticket for the day you arrive $10, get visa on arrival then get as many visa extentions as you want for upto 3yrs...

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, usa32 said:

I think sometimes they make up the rules as they go along, lol.  It makes no sense to me, but I’m sure it does to them. Perhaps they’ve shortened the validity time and didn’t update the info on their website. I presume they held your paperwork or did they send it back and you have to resubmit it? If they held it then just be patient, but follow up later this month. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, usa32 said:

I spoke with them today and they said they received everything, but can't issue a 59 day visa, until late Jan early February, for a March 1st travel date. Does that make sense, based on your knowledge of the Philippine visa system?

Making sense of anything Philippine is a challenge.  I'd say if they plan to send you the visa in late Jan or early Feb you should be fine for a March 1 travel date.  Much better than it was a year ago.  I'm talking about when we had to take a covid test within 48 hours of our March flight and wait for the lab to analyze and send the results and cross fingers it would be good to get on the plane.

If I had the choice of doing it that way or pissin' about with immigration in the Philippines then I would do the same as you.  Then its done.  Others would prefer to deal with it on arrival but its just a personal choice.

• Like 3

usa32
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gator said:

I think sometimes they make up the rules as they go along, lol.  It makes no sense to me, but I’m sure it does to them. Perhaps they’ve shortened the validity time and didn’t update the info on their website. I presume they held your paperwork or did they send it back and you have to resubmit it? If they held it then just be patient, but follow up later this month. 

They just held it, and they said they will issue at end of month. 

• Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Colsie said:

Can't see any advantage to what you're doing. 

Just get a renta ticket for the day you arrive $10, get visa on arrival then get as many visa extentions as you want for upto 3yrs...

I sorta agree and may change on next trip. Since I haven't dealt with immigration in the Philippines, on my last trip as it was 29 days. I thought this might be one less thing to deal with there. But may be more of a hassle than its worth

• Like 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, usa32 said:

I sorta agree and may change on next trip. Since I haven't dealt with immigration in the Philippines, on my last trip as it was 29 days. I thought this might be one less thing to deal with there. But may be more of a hassle than its worth

I've been coming here (Philippines) for 17 years and lived here for over 10yrs as a tourist (apart from 2yrs on SSRV) and simply got visa on arrival. Extending it in a provincial BI like in Tacloban city usually takes less than 30 minutes and I go when it's convenient for me to do so. 

But as @Dave Hounddrivermay have had a different experience, I can understand his point of view. The choice is yours.

The only other thing to consider is that this time you're only planning a short trip, but following trips you might want to stay longer (or shorter) than 59 days, the Philippines does that to you. So you may want to get in the swing of nipping down your local BI

Strangely, the tourist visa can only be extended for 2yrs but the visa on arrival 3yrs. Although strange, this kind of thing is the normal here in PI. 

Edited by Colsie
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, usa32 said:

Well after over a month and half(Filipino time) I received my 59 day visa stamp and my passport back from the consulate in Chicago. They were nice and completed the task, but never again will I mail my passport again and wait while the consulate works their "magic"

All is well that ends well. Leaving March 1

Good news. Let us know how your visit turns out.

grooftrop
Posted
Posted

The Passport Card might be good to carry here for ID purposes, but it’s not recognized for entry / BOI purposes.  I think they’re only good for entering Canada and Mexico via land borders and for cruise ship passengers who’ve departed from the USA and are returning to the USA.