Fixing gaps in the ceiling?

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 11/29/2022 at 6:34 AM, Mike J said:

Drywall is seldom used in the Philippines, at least in our area.  I have been to quite a few building supply stores/outlets in Cebu and have never seen it for sale.  I would not use it even if available because of the high humidity and frequency of leaking roofs.  The old ceiling was 1/4 inch plywood and probably not marine as water damage from they typhoon caused a lot of delamination.   So the primary benefit, in my opinion, is the resistant to moisture, both humidity and leaks.   Marine plywood also had anti-termite treatment during manufacture.  When we had a house built for the wife's parents I had them use hardiflex for the ceilings, after a few years all the seams show cracks.  Hardiflex is a good choice but takes a bit of care to install as the holes have to be pre drilled on the edges to prevent cracking.  The advantage of hardiflex termite free and basically fire proof.  A disadvantage to hardiflex is that it does not block sound nearly as much as plywood.   If plywood is used it should definitely be marine.   I also use 3/4 marine plywood plus solid mahogany when building cabinets.   I always treat wood with clear solignum prior to a final finish.  Picture below are the doors for a CR vanity.

20180505_152821.jpg

CR vanity.jpg

Thanks a lot for the information Mike.

As others already have said, it's probably a matter of where you are if drywall is used or not, but in our area it is common now when building new. When it's coming to water resistance I am not sure, but in Europe we have drywall that is made specifically to be used in wet areas, like a shower room. But I am not sure if that is available here.

I love the look of the cabinet you made 👍

• Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, fototek1 said:

I am curious to see what the gypsum looks like when we get back in February. My guess is it is moldy and no one there notices :89: 

That's what surprises me the most!

That no one seems to notice when something needs to be cleaned or fixed.

We have not been able to visit our house for 4 and a half years and the condition of it is anything but good. Nothing critical, but things needs to be freshed up. Some of it just needs a good cleaning, but it is like the people who have been staying in the house don't understand!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

Thanks a lot for the information Mike.

As others already have said, it's probably a matter of where you are if drywall is used or not, but in our area it is common now when building new. When it's coming to water resistance I am not sure, but in Europe we have drywall that is made specifically to be used in wet areas, like a shower room. But I am not sure if that is available here.

I love the look of the cabinet you made 👍

In my place, Hardiflex is used throughout for all internal walls but not in the CRs.  There, they have used the usual block and cement walls.  That maybe more to do with the fact they are tiled and feel a more solid structure is better but could be that there is no suitable drywall available, at least at a reasonable price.  Certainly in the UK drywall was used in wet areas but who knows here.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here is the big hole I am fixing.  When the roof leaked, the drywall ceiling there slowly got soaked, and eventually collapsed.  Luckily, not on any heads.  That was a year ago.  Like others said, that is one of the downsides of drywall / gypsum board.

317514981_452875736925186_8684253769313700604_n.jpg

So yesterday, I bought the 4 X 8 gypsum board to go in that hole.  What we did not realize at the time is that the ceiling on the left side of that hole was not gypsum.  1/2 plywood.  We did not know that until he trimmed away the old broken gypsum on that side.  The small problem is that the 1/2 plywood is a tiny bit thicker than the 1/2 gypsum.  So today he added more gypsum putty to try an level it out.  Tomorrow we will sand and see if any more putty is needed to even it out.  After we get it reasonably flat, we will apply the paint with the "pebbly sand" in it.  I think when it is done it will be ok.  The wire hanging down is for a can light.

316714185_1579512002468351_8785101707288787794_n.jpg

Viking
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Here is the big hole I am fixing.  When the roof leaked, the drywall ceiling there slowly got soaked, and eventually collapsed.  Luckily, not on any heads.  That was a year ago.  Like others said, that is one of the downsides of drywall / gypsum board.

317514981_452875736925186_8684253769313700604_n.jpg

So yesterday, I bought the 4 X 8 gypsum board to go in that hole.  What we did not realize at the time is that the ceiling on the left side of that hole was not gypsum.  1/2 plywood.  We did not know that until he trimmed away the old broken gypsum on that side.  The small problem is that the 1/2 plywood is a tiny bit thicker than the 1/2 gypsum.  So today he added more gypsum putty to try an level it out.  Tomorrow we will sand and see if any more putty is needed to even it out.  After we get it reasonably flat, we will apply the paint with the "pebbly sand" in it.  I think when it is done it will be ok.  The wire hanging down is for a can light.

316714185_1579512002468351_8785101707288787794_n.jpg

Are you saying that you have had that hole in your ceiling for a year???

I am sure it will look good when it is finished.

Did you experience that the textured paint attract a lot of dirt? Maybe I will use it in our bedrooms but not in the kitchen.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Viking said:

Are you saying that you have had that hole in your ceiling for a year???

I am sure it will look good when it is finished.

Did you experience that the textured paint attract a lot of dirt? Maybe I will use it in our bedrooms but not in the kitchen.

The hole has been there more than a year, I think.  I stapled thick plastic over it so it was sealed up.  We struggled to find the leak.  I won't go into it now but our house has a unique roof.

No, the textured paint has not gotten dirty in 6 years.  We do most heavy cooking outdoors.  This shot is in the kitchen right above the indoor stove area.  No discoloring at all

316754205_647835350229888_2573467691486960772_n.jpg

This is in the entryway / my office.  I used a light grey and it came out nice.  Also 6 years ago.

316836873_3398824873688381_4222362252856148291_n.jpg  317511015_1596788250757180_7930857970507622741_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

textured paint

BTW, a quick google tells me it is silica sand that is mixed with the paint.  I just checked my go to hardware store and they did not have it.  Paint stores probably have it.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

BTW, a quick google tells me it is silica sand that is mixed with the paint.  I just checked my go to hardware store and they did not have it.  Paint stores probably have it.

Boyson Permatex Textured Latex paint is the man for the job.

Available online with Lazada but most likely at good hardware stores.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted

This reminds me of the artexing ceilings in UK 70's and 80's, hated it. Then in the 90's stripping the damn stuff off. Glad it went out of fashion. By the way, you need a roller for the textured paint. 

How to Apply Artex: Artexing & Textured Plaster Finishes

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

This reminds me of the artexing ceilings in UK 70's and 80's, hated it. Then in the 90's stripping the damn stuff off. Glad it went out of fashion. By the way, you need a roller for the textured paint. 

How to Apply Artex: Artexing & Textured Plaster Finishes

Edit:  I should have read your link first.  The Artex is different than the popcorn I mention below.  I remember it well.

We called it "popcorn" ceiling.  Developers of housing tracts would spray it on.  Very light and fluffy.  And a mess to remove.  It was much rougher and would collect dirt and grime.

The textured paint is quite a bit different but also a pain to remove when the time comes.  Great for hiding cracks!

Our walls in the living areas all have "knockdown" texture.  I like it.

317595227_543306400944839_9221208503532495687_n.jpg  316801482_821164582272757_107519400668510546_n.jpg  316714177_535318095151770_6454263342441220114_n.jpg

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1