Fixing gaps in the ceiling?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/30/2022 at 2:14 PM, OnMyWay said:

Here is the big hole I am fixing.  When the roof leaked, the drywall ceiling there slowly got soaked, and eventually collapsed.  Luckily, not on any heads.  That was a year ago.  Like others said, that is one of the downsides of drywall / gypsum board.

317514981_452875736925186_8684253769313700604_n.jpg

So yesterday, I bought the 4 X 8 gypsum board to go in that hole.  What we did not realize at the time is that the ceiling on the left side of that hole was not gypsum.  1/2 plywood.  We did not know that until he trimmed away the old broken gypsum on that side.  The small problem is that the 1/2 plywood is a tiny bit thicker than the 1/2 gypsum.  So today he added more gypsum putty to try an level it out.  Tomorrow we will sand and see if any more putty is needed to even it out.  After we get it reasonably flat, we will apply the paint with the "pebbly sand" in it.  I think when it is done it will be ok.  The wire hanging down is for a can light.

316714185_1579512002468351_8785101707288787794_n.jpg

Following up, I ended up only finding some fine white beach sand at an aquarium store.  It was definitely different than the previous texture.  I think that Boysen texture paint would have been better but I could not find it. There is no way we could match the texture perfectly but it looks fine. 

Tomorrow we will paint the entire ceiling with the same paint so the new section will blend in better.

IMG20221208174047.jpg

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Following up, I ended up only finding some fine white beach sand at an aquarium store.  It was definitely different than the previous texture.  I think that Boysen texture paint would have been better but I could not find it. There is no way we could match the texture perfectly but it looks fine. 

Tomorrow we will paint the entire ceiling with the same paint so the new section will blend in better.

IMG20221208174047.jpg

Looks fine already, and who looks at the ceiling anyway!  But yes, a quick run over the whole area will reduce the impact of the heightened patch a fair bit.

• Like 2