Out of Stock! Philippine Stories

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

What's your favorite "out of stock" story? 

We went to a restaurant for lunch yesterday and they had tabletop advertising promoting a new dish, Chicken Congee.  I ordered it and was inform the dish was not available.   

"When will you have it available?" I asked.

The waiter replied, "I don't know."

This is not a situation wherein the restaurant ran out of a new menu item.  It was 11:15 am shortly after the mall opened.  The item was non-existent.  The logical thing to do is remove the advertising from all the tables.  Rather than making the suggestion to the manager, I decided it would be more fun if others experience my frustration.

Nanyang Congee.jpg

• Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have similar stories, as I am sure we all do.  The one that makes me laugh is when I order a meal in a restaurant and ask:  "Do you have stock of that?" and they say Yes.  Then . . . many minutes later . .  they come back and say "Sorry sir, no stock".  So I ask them What the Heck?  And they always tell me a story like: "We had one order left when you ordered it, sir, but before your order was ready, the cook served it to another customer so now we have no stock."

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Several years back I needed a root canal and crown.  The dentist asked me what material I would like for the crown.  I told him gold as it would match the other two crowns.  He called the lab where they actually made the crown from the dentist impression.  He covers the phone and says; "Sir, the lab has no gold in stock.  They want to know if you have any gold jewelry they can use"?  I explained that the only gold jewelry I owned was my wedding band.  If I gave that up my wife would make sure I did not need the root canal or the crown.   :9436:  Went with zirconium instead.  

• Haha 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

A few months back Burger King had a special menu item, some kind of extra spicy burger. It had it's own full "page" space on the menu board.  The item was "available" for about 6 -8 weeks but never available in reality.  This kind of thing frequently happens with BK and KFC (probably McDos too) - why advertise something they clearly will not be selling?  Another one - We went to a local mall and ordered their pizza meal deal which had 4 or 5 elements.  we were told it was not available as they didn't have the 2L coke!  I was furious as we'd done out of our way to go there and explained to the Manager how ridiculous it was to remove a meal deal just because such an inconsequential item was not available.  As if by magic the deal was suddenly available again - who would have though it?  A scam in effect to get folk to come in and then order an alternative - they didn't reckon on me being a d**k and arguing.  

In Chowking they frequently say no small drinks available so upgrade required at extra cost.  Now, in our countries this would not be allowed and they'd be required to provide an alternative at the same price.  I asked the obvious question, how can you provide a large coke but not a small one?  Answer was no small cups available - LOL x much from me.  My solution was simple enough - take the large cup and fill it only half-full!   This was not a one-off, it has happened 3 times in the past 18 months or so.

If only more people here stood up for themselves we'd not have to deal with such nonsense so often.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

The old Rustan's used to have canned Red Salmon, out-of-stock for over a decade now. I'm patient though...

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

There was a fellow who took a sambong capsule every day to help prevent kidney stones.  He went to his normal pharmacy and was told; "We no longer stock sambong, it was so popular that we were always running out of stock and people would complain".   I think the manager may have missed class the day they talked about ordering product based on demand. :whistling:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have similar stories, as I am sure we all do.  The one that makes me laugh is when I order a meal in a restaurant and ask:  "Do you have stock of that?" and they say Yes.  Then . . . many minutes later . .  they come back and say "Sorry sir, no stock".  So I ask them What the Heck?  And they always tell me a story like: "We had one order left when you ordered it, sir, but before your order was ready, the cook served it to another customer so now we have no stock."

Related to this.....

We have 3 Gerry's Grilll in our area.  One is on the beach and at night on busy, nice, nights, they put tables on the sand.  Very nice and we like quite a few dishes.  Never had a major problem at that location.  However, on a hot day it gets very hot inside because it is a high ceiling, large building without aircon.  So we avoid it on hot days.

The other two Gerry's are in malls.  Bad experiences at both and they have lost our business.  The last bad experience was this one, at SM Central Olongapo.

At all the Gerry's here, they give you a list of the menu items and you mark on the list what you want.  On the list, they have crossed out with red pen the items that are not available.  I ordered Chicken Kabob and Pork BBQ.  They said it would be 25-30 minutes and we needed to be someplace, so that was a bit of an issue.  The place had maybe 4 tables occupied at lunchtime.

After 10 minutes, the guy comes back.  "Sorry sir, no Chicken Kabob".  Pisses me off of course  "Why is it available on the list?"  "Sorry sir, not available".

So I say "OK, forget it I will just have my Pork BBQ".

So of course, when he serves us, he brings me two orders of Pork BBQ, my order and the second to replace the kabobs.  :bash:

I was hungry so I ate both.  Sending one back would probably be 2 hours of corporate paperwork.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

After 10 minutes, the guy comes back.  "Sorry sir, no Chicken Kabob".  Pisses me off

Reminds me of a new problem related to no-stock issues, ordering from supermarkets on Grab Mart. After you place an order, after you wait 10 minutes or longer while it gets confirmed, you get a call or text "Sorry sir, no stock" for an item.

Edited by Kingpin
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

A few years ago, I stayed in a hotel near my future partner's home...

She wanted to share a breakfast with me.

First we ordered something - I forgot what - and the waiter came back and said the usual, "Sorry sir, out of stock."

So we ordered something else and received the same reply after several minutes waiting.

We tried one more time for a different item and still had the same response.

Finally, we figured out the correct way to order and asked, "So, what do you have in stock?" The waiter came back with his answer that only a few things (which, again, I have forgotten) were available. We finally had our meal, but even L was pissed about the lack of supply and the silly situation with the waiter just not telling us up front what was available or not... It was like pulling teeth to get the true answers about what they actually had available... so irritating!

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

A few years ago, I stayed in a hotel near my future partner's home...

She wanted to share a breakfast with me.

First we ordered something - I forgot what - and the waiter came back and said the usual, "Sorry sir, out of stock."

So we ordered something else and received the same reply after several minutes waiting.

We tried one more time for a different item and still had the same response.

Finally, we figured out the correct way to order and asked, "So, what do you have in stock?" The waiter came back with his answer that only a few things (which, again, I have forgotten) were available. We finally had our meal, but even L was pissed about the lack of supply and the silly situation with the waiter just not telling us up front what was available or not... It was like pulling teeth to get the true answers about what they actually had available... so irritating!

This reminds me of one of my first trip to the country, 30 years ago.

My father and I was in a small restaurant in Roxas, Mindoro, waiting to take the banka to Boracay the next day.

We thought right away that it was an impressive menu for such a basic restaurant. Probably 50-60 different options to choose from. We ordered our food and soon they were back explanation it was not available. We tried again with the same result. We did this 4 times before dad asked them, what do you have then???

The waiter pointed at ONE dish in the menu and said,  we have this! Our reply, great, we have two of that, hahahaha.

Guess we were lucky because it tasted great 👍