AVR or surgeprotector for new fridge?

Viking
Posted
Posted

Hello, I just bought a new fridge with a bottom freezer and inverter to our house.

We live in a suburb of Manila and to my knowledge we seldom have any problems with the electricity. However, I am very ignorant about this matter.

Is it necessary with a SP or AVR?

I read somewhere that inverter gadgets are more sensitive for "bad" current.

How have you done with your appliances?

Possum
Posted
Posted

All the major appliances in my house are inverter controlled, AC, fridge, washer etc. I have a surge protector for the house installed inline with the incoming power. Receptacles are 3 prong with a proper ground . Inverter appliances are pretty forgiving with varying voltages but the electronics that control them don't like high voltage surges. If your appliance is properly grounded and has a surge protector you should be fine. There are breakers designed for surge protection but they won't fit standard breaker panels here. I have had only one appliance fail due to high voltage, probably lightening and that was an AC unit that was not properly grounded. Cooked the circuit board and Daiken replaced it under warranty as well as scolded the installer for not following installation instructions. Philippine electrical code also says AC units and other large appliances must be properly grounded but most installers don't even know there is a Philippine Electrical Code.

So my suggestion is a whole house surge protector and proper grounding should let you rest easy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Greglm said:

and proper grounding should let you rest easy.

Almost everything are just two prong so how will grounding help? 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

We just have surge protected powerboards on all our expensive stuff - TV's, computers, fridge etc -  until we have our breakerbox upgraded next year.  They work in a pinch but living in an area prone to thunderstorms I'd recommend an inline surge protector and AVR.  I've lived in tropical areas (Cairns, Darwin and now here) for many years and a long time ago in Darwin before surge protection was mandatory in all homes there, we lost everything due to a lighting strike on a power pole down the road.  As for the AVR we're having one put in.  In the past PI was known for it's variable voltage which is while isn't as bad for modern appliances as it was the old - remember the days when you needed a transformer to run your overseas appliances? This was due to precise voltage requirements, 100 vs110 vs 220 etc, these days most appliances are rated with a range from 100v to 240v.  Modern appliances are more forgiving but the variable voltage here will still "age" your equipment more quickly than where the power is more reliably regulated by the provider.  

We haven't really investigated thoroughly yet but a cursory search will reveal many combined AVR/surge protection solutions.  

Many portable Uninterupted Power Supply (UPS) systems also combine AVR/Surge and battery backup but you have to be careful how many items you plug into them due to load restrictions on the unit.  

As for grounding, as @Jollygoodfellowsaid, the only grounded plugs or powerpoints I've seen here are on AC units.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

As for grounding, as @Jollygoodfellowsaid, the only grounded plugs or powerpoints I've seen here are on AC units.  

This being the Philippines, a grounded receptacle does not guaranty that it is connected to a ground.  You can buy a receptacle checker for reasonable price.   Google "Electrical receptacle tester"  Lazada advertises several.

UEi ERT100 Electrical Receptacle Tester-

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

This being the Philippines, a grounded receptacle does not guaranty that it is connected to a ground.  You can buy a receptacle checker for reasonable price.   Google "Electrical receptacle tester"  Lazada advertises several.

UEi ERT100 Electrical Receptacle Tester-

Not sure I'm reading this proper! how will this 3 pronged gadget fit into a two pronged socket? Unless you use an adapter! will that not compromise the exercise?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Not sure I'm reading this proper! how will this 3 pronged gadget fit into a two pronged socket? Unless you use an adapter! will that not compromise the exercise?

A two prong socket does not have a ground, so why would you be checking it for a ground?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Almost everything are just two prong so how will grounding help? 

This video shows how to work around the "no ground wire" problem using GFCI 3 prong plugs.  Instead sending power leaks to the ground wire, it just trips the circuit.  Note that he mentions another work around where he grounds the 3 prong to the metal junction box.  This would help with mild tingling you get from touching many Philippine appliances.  If I did not have a ground wire or metal plumbing near the electric box I would certainly use his method.

Possum
Posted
Posted

Those GFCI receptacles work great. Although all my receptacles are 3 prong I used the GFCIs in the bathrooms and kitchen counter. They're super sensitive and trip at the hint of stray voltage.  Philippine residential electrical can be confusing as not all companies supply the same power configuration. Two prong 120/120 receptacles with no ground as is found in most houses near me on Meralco is some real third world crap. Some cheap appliances come with a two prong plug and chassis ground attached. I guess you could drive a ground rod thru the floor and use it.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

A two prong socket does not have a ground, so why would you be checking it for a ground?

I don't know. I won't be checking for anything, that's why I stated "Not sure I'm reading this proper!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1