AVR or surgeprotector for new fridge?

Viking
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys for your replies.

I will probably start with only a surge protector.

Electricity are really confusing and it doesn't help asking in the hardware store either, because you get different answers every time . Some want to sell you every gadget they have and the guy at Abenson said just plug it to the wall. He probably want to sell me a new fridge 😂.

Time will tell how it will go.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, jimeve said:

Not sure I'm reading this proper! how will this 3 pronged gadget fit into a two pronged socket? Unless you use an adapter! will that not compromise the exercise?

My comment was meant to say that a three prong receptacle here in the Philippines may or may not be connected to a ground wire.  A two pronged receptacle would never have a ground.   The tester would tell you if you if the receptacle was truly grounded.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

My comment was meant to say that a three prong receptacle here in the Philippines may or may not be connected to a ground wire.  A two pronged receptacle would never have a ground.   The tester would tell you if you if the receptacle was truly grounded.

I was wondering when I saw all those lights on the tester if it did anything else besides to test if there was a ground? That's why I asked.

Maybe it could tell me next weeks lottery winning numbers.:biggrin:

Edited by jimeve

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Viking said:

Some want to sell you every gadget they have and the guy at Abenson said just plug it to the wall. He probably want to sell me a new fridge 😂.

To be honest, that's all we've done and after 8 years, countless brownouts and no issues at all.  It is invertor type so that maybe helps.  It is plugged into a higher amp circuit which is may be as important as a surge protector although it serves a different purpose.

I'm not recommending it, just saying it isn't that "out there" as a suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

I was wondering when I saw all those lights on the tester if it did anything else besides to test if there was a ground? That's why I asked.

Maybe it could tell me next weeks lottery winning numbers.:biggrin:

In the US whenever I made an offer on a house I always made the offer contingent on a professional house inspection.  This type of circuit detector is used to check every receptacle in the house.  In addition the inspector checks the condition of pipes, each fauchet, water heater, furnace, AC, insulation, attic ventilation, foundation, brickwork, etc, etc.  The US uses a three wire system, hot, neutral (called return in Europe?), and ground.    If memory serves me correct the price was about $150 for an "average" home ten or so  years ago.  I expect it costs $250 or more now.  

No suggestion for lottery numbers but I wish you good luck if you play.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I was given a bit of a shock if you excuse the pun a few days back. A friend of mine had a microwave that she said wasn't working so I asked her to bring it to my apartment and I'd look at it. I plugged it in and touched it simultaneously with both hands. A shock went through my left hand across my chest and out my right hand burning the palm. My whole chest pumped a few times like I was getting fibrillated, it was a horrible feeling but luckily I threw myself backwards and the microwave caught on the worktop. I felt instantly weak and told my partner I better lay down before I collapse.  She said my lips and ears turned purple.  Probably the closest I've been to popping my clogs I think. I'll be fitting RCD'severywhere from now on. 

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Possum
Posted
Posted

Lucky you lived to tell the tale !

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Probably the closest I've been to popping my clogs I think

Good to see you are still with us.  Now if you were in the movies, something like that would have given you super powers.  Have you tried leaping tall buildings, just to be sure?

• Haha 1