Treating wood before painting

Viking
Posted
Posted

We had to replace some wood in the bottom of our kitchen cabinets, because the water had been leaking and the wood was now rotten.

In Sweden we had a kind of very thin impregnering oil we used at wood, before painting, to make it more durable to moisture.

I have been asking in the hardware store, but as usual, they have no clue what that is. I think I remember someone  on the forum mentioning that wood was treated with something to keep the termites away. Is that something similar to what I am looking for???

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

someone  on the forum mentioning that wood was treated with something to keep the termites away

I have not seen it used for that, but according to its product description:

Colourless Solignum is a wood preservative fluid which penetrates into the wood and remains there as an active barrier against wood-rot, wood borers, termites and fungal decay.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Colourless Solignum is a wood preservative fluid which penetrates into the wood and remains there as an active barrier against wood-rot, wood borers, termites and fungal decay.

Solignum is used a lot where I live and is readily available. I use it on all wood to prevent termites and it seems to work. You can stain or paint the wood after using Solignum.  The stuff has been around for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Solignum comes in clear and dark, the dark will stain the wood.   Recommend you first use clear Solignum, I generally let the first dose soak in then give it a second coat.  Let it dry for a day or so.  Then finish with Hudson Topcoat.  This is a two part acrylic finish that was originally developed to finish floors.  The finish is completely clear, tough, and scratch resistant.   I normally apply two coats with a light sanding between the coats with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper.   Keep the sandpaper wet to prevent it clogging up with grit.  Topcoat has a very strong odor so make sure you have good ventilation.   Both should be available at your local hardware store or Lazada.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Viking said:

We had to replace some wood in the bottom of our kitchen cabinets, because the water had been leaking and the wood was now rotten.

In Sweden we had a kind of very thin impregnering oil we used at wood, before painting, to make it more durable to moisture.

I have been asking in the hardware store, but as usual, they have no clue what that is. I think I remember someone  on the forum mentioning that wood was treated with something to keep the termites away. Is that something similar to what I am looking for???

I have no idea if this exists here in Phils... But I used a two-part penetrating epoxy on damaged wood after is was thoroughly dried. It is as thin as water and penetrates deeply. One brand in USA is called Git Rot. There are other brands available. It worked great for me!

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Thanks, Solignum was the product I had in mind but I couldn't remember it's name! Looks like it will do the job 👍

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I have no idea if this exists here in Phils... But I used a two-part penetrating epoxy on damaged wood after is was thoroughly dried. It is as thin as water and penetrates deeply. One brand in USA is called Git Rot. There are other brands available. It worked great for me!

Epoxy is also good but a bit "harder" to use. In this case I think I will go for an easy solution because this will be a temporary fix until we can replace the kitchen.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

Epoxy is also good but a bit "harder" to use. In this case I think I will go for an easy solution because this will be a temporary fix until we can replace the kitchen.

I think you are making the best choice. My solution is suited to treat truly rotted wood - and I have done so successfully several times. But solignum will keep the bugs away, which is your primary goal, it sounds like. The solignum packaging declares it to a "sealer" - I am not so sure it does that, but it should do what you need, especially for a temporary reprieve. We have applied solignum - on @Mike J's advice on all wood we have used here. After two years, we don't have termites or other invading insects, other than the ubiquitous ants. I am working on getting those under control...

• Like 1