Bicycle in the Philippines?

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Viking said:

Just around our neighborhood. Within a few kilometers from our house.

Ok but without a destination it seems more like exercise, not really feasible in city sidestreets but not sure where you're at.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

I realize that it's a risk but so is everything we do.

Very true.  I think you have done well to mitigate the risks.

When I was riding here around 2013-14, I would load the bike in the SUV and join a friend to ride in the Freeport CBD.  Part of that was because I could not make the hill climb back up to my house (~50% of riders walk part of the hill going to/from work) and the other part was for safety reasons.  During non-rush hours, the CBD is a nice place to ride, with bike lanes and quite a bit of shade.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Ok but without a destination it seems more like exercise, not really feasible in city sidestreets but not sure where you're at.

Maybe I wasn't clear of my reason why I want a bicycle. I like to take it to the local market, the laundry service, the gym, to get a few bbq sticks or siomai a couple of blocks away. Things like that.

Just roaming around and look at people and discover new little shops and food places.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Viking said:

Maybe I wasn't clear of my reason why I want a bicycle. I like to take it to the local market, the laundry service, the gym, to get a few bbq sticks or siomai a couple of blocks away. Things like that. Just roaming around and look at people and discover new little shops and food places.

In the city those things are either off a highway, or within the squatter areas, that's why bikes aren't common.

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

In the city those things are either off a highway, or within the squatter areas, that's why bikes aren't common.

With all respect, but you are wrong.

Where we live, there's plenty of the things I want to go to that are far from the highway and bicycles are also very common here 😉

It's not a squatter area either.

Have a great evening.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Best biking ever is the Maui downhill guided bike tour.  A van picks you up at the hotel before dawn with bikes loaded on the roof.  The day starts with watching the sunrise above cloud cover at the Haleakala summit.  Spectacular.  A quick breakfast of pastries and coffee.  The ride is nearly all downhill with the bikes modified with large tires for better road grip and special pads on the brakes.  Cost is about $150 per person plus tips for the professional guide and van driver.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Best biking ever is the Maui downhill guided bike tour.  A van picks you up at the hotel before dawn with bikes loaded on the roof.  The day starts with watching the sunrise above cloud cover at the Haleakala summit.  Spectacular.  A quick breakfast of pastries and coffee.  The ride is nearly all downhill with the bikes modified with large tires for better road grip and special pads on the brakes.  Cost is about $150 per person plus tips for the professional guide and van driver.  

Always wanted to do that ride back in the 80s/90s when I went to Hawaii often.  I think it was only 30-50 back then.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Viking said:

not a squatter area

Because you're not around Cebu or Manila, where they are in squatter areas, which is why bikes aren't common in large cities...hopefully that clears up your confusion. :tiphat:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

@Viking let us know when you get a bike, price, features, etc and why you chose it.  MIght help other forum members who are thinking about getting some cycle exercise. 

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Because you're not around Cebu or Manila, where they are in squatter areas, which is why bikes aren't common in large cities...hopefully that clears up your confusion. :tiphat:

I give up.😂

It's useless trying to explain to someone who doesn't want to understand 😜

But it feels really comforting to know that you are an expert of the area I am living in, hahaha.

• Haha 1