Immigration woes, I dont want to play anymore

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

As I have mentioned in other topics before, both times on returning from a visa run l was given a hard time at the airport and told to get a permanent visa such as SRRV. 

Today I went to do my  third extension since my last visa run and my GF was with me as I cant see the small print on the form and usually cant hear what they say so she's my guide. Old age eh!

Anyway handed filled in form and passport to officer and we sat down. Not long later the female officer called my Gf over but not me. Apparently asked her who she was. Asked her if I work then asked GF if she worked. She said that I dont work and yes she does and they asked where? She said a call center and they asked for ID. At about that time they waved me over. GF said she has ID but work ID is at home. They told her to go and get a copy of her ID. I'm thinking why do they want that and what's it got to do with them and its my visa and she is a resident so WTF but I bit my tongue and kept quiet.

I then get asked how long am I here for and I said I dont know. Officer then says that an immigration officer told me to get a permanent visa and you have not done so. ( must be noted on the computer file ) I said I have only been back 4  months or so and besides I have 36 months to do so. She said I should get an SRRV. I said I plan to do so but havent got to it yet.

Why are they so pushing for a SRRV and as far as I know the law is still the same where I can stay for 36 months and as long as I leave the country there is no law to say that I cant come back and do it all again but seems they are cracking down on permanent tourist like myself.

I really think at this point they cant force me to do anything as I pay my fees and will have a new ARC card so Im legal as a tourist although l will be dreading the next extension. 

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's disturbing those little tyrants would make demands of your GF that don't pertain to your visa status. What are they fishing for? 

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted

I understand this is a problem for people staying long time on tourist visa. On the other hand, I don't know any other country that is as generous with their tourist visas as the Philippines. You can practically stay in the country for 6 years, if you get a weekend in Hongkong after 3 years

To be fair, I don't think it was intended to be used instead of a permanent visa.

However, I am not complaining about this and I hope it will not change, but when seeing it from side of the Philippine authorities, I can't say that I am surprised.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

must be noted on the computer file

As you may remember, the BI policy changes over time and political agendas.  Over a couple of decades they have gone from max 2 years to max 3 years, from 21 free days to 30 free days, from max 2 month extensions to max 6 months.  Then there are the BBs who used to have to leave for a year and now can leave for a day and come back.

So it appears that trend may be reversing.  No surprise there.  New president trying to make his mark perhaps.

There is always a way to beat the system.  Use an agent perhaps?  Leave . . get a new passport . . come back with no stamps in it and see if they notice.  Dual passports?  Come in on a Brit passport one time and an Aussie passport after the visa run?  These are all legal ways but grey areas.  Of course you could always get married:hystery::gottarun_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Why are they so pushing for a SRRV 

Why wouldn't they? They know it means up to $50,000 from you, into the Philippines.

5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

as far as I know the law is still the same where I can stay for 36 months and as long as I leave the country there is no law to say that I cant come back and do it all again

There's the written law, and then there's whatever immigration decides to do. They call it "abusing the privilege of tourist visa", because if you're here that long, you're not really a tourist. If you're retired and not working, you should be on a SRRV.  If you don't have an SRRV, they're going to assume you're illegally working with a 9a, treat you like shit at the airport until you get an SRRV or 13a so you never have to deal with them again. All about the money.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

All about the money.

Well if I recall at the airport last time the officer said, besides it will be cheaper which in the long run it is but immigration are making money on extensions which dont apply for SRRV so for the BI making money really means extensions.  

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

36 months is at their discretion, they don't have to give you it. I'd get the SRRV or atleast renew at a different office if you're not going to do that.

Once allowed entry the 36 month is not at their discretion unless one breaks any laws. Tourist are allowed to stay up to 36 months.

How long can I extend my in the Philippines?

Under Immigration Memorandum Circular No. SBM-2013-003, non-visa required national may extend their stay up to thirty six (36) months while visa required national may extend their stay up to twenty four (24) months.

Renewing at a different office could just bring up the same issue if they read the info on ones file. I will see what happens next time.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

It's disturbing those little tyrants would make demands of your GF that don't pertain to your visa status. What are they fishing for? 

I dont know what their fishing for and cant see where she fits in. What if I had a different GF every week, is that any of their business and do they want ID from them all? Why they want to know if and where she works I can only think that perhaps they think she's working for me which would mean I am not a tourist.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Leave . . get a new passport . . come back with no stamps in it and see if they notice.

From memory twice they demanded to see my old passport in the 6 or so years of being here. I am not sure if a new passport has the same number as the old and will have to try to find my old to check it out. I guess my name will always be in their system anyway.  As I said I dont think I will have an issue with this until next visa run so will have to figure something out at the time.

3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Of course you could always get married:hystery::gottarun_80_anim_gif:

If fact I am married so the other option is to ask the wife to apply for a 13a. Wish I had of known during the pandemic that no interviews were required for 13a which would have made it easy but now she would have to come from Zamboanga for the interviews. I dont think she would have an issue in doing it for me as we chat often but if her and the GF start arguing again she has me by the balls as she could report that we have seperated so the 13a would not apply anymore. 

• Like 3