Immigration woes, I dont want to play anymore

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You reminded me of something else I was going to say.  The scrutiny of the GF was probably sniffing around to see if they could find out JGF is working on a tourist visa. Trying to find out how they live, etc.

Likely, and another reason in addition to work. They want to determine if long-term 9as have a legit reason for repeatedly visiting the Philippines, meaning family or in a relationship.  I know two retired 9as who were questioned "why?" all the visa runs at airport entry.. One had to call his fiance and have her to talk to boss maam. The other was a single guy and was refused entry, while being given some notes on SRRV and the 13 quota visa (not 13a) to read on his flight back home.

• Like 3

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

New president trying to make his mark perhaps.

Why Not (Bakit hindi?)... his father certainly made his mark.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I wonder if all these changes to tourist visas I due to the Government being strapped  for cash.

A few examples are:

Once upon a time we could go to the consulates in Australia and get different tourist visas, now that is all done and dusted with only minimal 29  days stay, and as we all know multiple trips to the offices to get 2 month extensions, so why not push the SRRV thing with the steady income stream of $360 u.s. dollars for doing nothing.

The BIR has been hitting a lot of business'  here and hitting them hard with fines for the silliest of things, at one business they were hit for not having the mens and ladies displaying proper signage. Some of the business' are just declaring bankruptcy and opening up a week later under a new name, a trick they learned from building companies in Australia.

It has become so bad that we have set up a dummy office at the factory as a "Reception Office" with only Coffee there, because they were coming  to the security people and demanding to be shown where the accountant is.

Just my thoughts, money is the reason behind everything.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

money is the reason behind everything.

Sounds familiar...

On 12/8/2022 at 3:25 AM, Kingpin said:

All about the money.

Not surprising, in this specific case it all started because of the POGOs. In 2017, Chinese nationals working and immigrating illegally caused so many problems / scandals that the BI changed the rules (BI Operations Order No. JHM-2019-008) two years later. As to be expected in this type of culture, the stigma of 9as, and thus the scrutiny, has only increased since then.

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Did they downgrade to 9a? Or just exit the country

Downgraded to free up cash, 9a now

Colsie
Posted
Posted
On 12/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

As I have mentioned in other topics before, both times on returning from a visa run l was given a hard time at the airport and told to get a permanent visa such as SRRV. 

JGF I'm here on a tourist visa and have been for the last 10yrs, after I terminated my SRRV in 2012. 

The only time I've had hassle coming into the country through immigration is when I was accompanied by my GF and got the, you need to aquire a proper visa. The times I've done the visa run alone, like last September, I got the usual "how many day's you plan on staying". 

I'm thinking a big part of the issue may be the BI office where you're getting your extensions from and would suggest you try a different one. 

As for the SRRV, I found it very expensive compared to visa extentions, once you added up the initial cost, the interest lost on the deposit and the annual fee. Although, that said, if you are ex services (the annual fee is much reduced) and a good option if you can trust that your deposit is safe and you have enough cash to tie up.

• Like 3

Colsie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Sounds familiar...

Not surprising, in this specific case it all started because of the POGOs. In 2017, Chinese nationals working and immigrating illegally caused so many problems / scandals that the BI changed the rules (BI Operations Order No. JHM-2019-008) two years later. As to be expected in this type of culture, the stigma of 9as, and thus the scrutiny, has only increased since then.

Young Chinese nationals can come live and work in the Philippines legally. 

Not saying that there is anything dubious about the SRRV. In 1993 the age requirement was reduced to 35yo and the SRRV allows retirees to get a work permit. 

When I got my SRRV the first thing I was asked by the rep was, did I want him to sort out a work permit. As a retiree, does anybody else think this strange? 

https://www.bworldonline.com/editors-picks/2020/11/24/330549/unintended-consequences-of-the-special-resident-retirees-visa/?amp

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Colsie said:

Young Chinese nationals can come live and work in the Philippines legally. 

Not saying that there is anything dubious about the SRRV. In 1993 the age requirement was reduced to 35yo and the SRRV allows retirees to get a work permit. 

When I got my SRRV the first thing I was asked by the rep was, did I want him to sort out a work permit. As a retiree, does anybody else think this strange? 

https://www.bworldonline.com/editors-picks/2020/11/24/330549/unintended-consequences-of-the-special-resident-retirees-visa/?amp

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Colsie said:

In 1993 the age requirement was reduced to 35yo and the SRRV allows retirees to get a work permit. 

Nope.  They changed the age back to 50 after the Chinese scandal.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Colsie said:

I'm thinking a big part of the issue may be the BI office where you're getting your extensions from and would suggest you try a different one. 

Possibly, but all the offices can see his file.  I will speculate:

1.  When he came back from his first visa run he got a hard nosed agent.  The agent put a flag in his file.

2.  Second visa run, the agent sees the flag and raises questions again.

3.  Same thing happens when he goes to renew recently.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1