cars with expired registration

Patryk
Posted
Posted

I will need a car for at least 1 month (but maybe permanently) I've decided to buy a car. I was considering car rental but rental prices are a bit high, also I am a bit afraid to be charged for any scratches which are so easy to make here.  As I am going for cheap at the moment I can see some cars with "expired registration", can you tell me what does it exactly mean? Does it mean that car registration couldn't be renewed due to some technical issues, or even legal issues with this car history like unpaid parking tickets, etc?  I am not expecting the seller to be exactly honest with me, I would like to check car and fix it by myself, I am just worried I can have difficulties with registration as for some reason it is not registered now. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Patryk said:

"expired registration"

In my experience it could mean anything from "you just need to pay this year's registration to make it legal"  to  "I have not paid for many years because they will not renew it until I make the back payments but you can do that for me"  to "this vehicle cannot be registered as it is not legal for whatever reason so you will have to drive it illegally and don't get stopped".

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Patryk said:

I will need a car for at least 1 month (but maybe permanently) I've decided to buy a car. I was considering car rental but rental prices are a bit high, also I am a bit afraid to be charged for any scratches which are so easy to make here.  As I am going for cheap at the moment I can see some cars with "expired registration", can you tell me what does it exactly mean? Does it mean that car registration couldn't be renewed due to some technical issues, or even legal issues with this car history like unpaid parking tickets, etc?  I am not expecting the seller to be exactly honest with me, I would like to check car and fix it by myself, I am just worried I can have difficulties with registration as for some reason it is not registered now. 

There’s a few ways to check the registration for they call an “alarm” here. Text the plate number to 2600 (doesn’t always work), check it online (link below) using the file number found in the upper left side of the registration certificate or take a copy (or photo on your phone) of the registration to a LTO office and ask them to check it. 

https://www.lto.net.ph/LTO/Online

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Three biggest reasons for a car not having it's registration renewed:

1.  Not roadworthy,

2.  Laziness - couldn't be bothered and they rarely check, and hey, it PI so the law is a guide only; and

3.  Lack of financial capacity to pay for the registration.  

I always get a chuckle at the bikes lined up 50-100m down the road from a police check-point. 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Patryk said:

Its really quite simple, just bring rego plate number to local LTO office, ask what are the penalties involved to re register vehicle.

If done be prepared for the drama of and corruption involved in changing the name over.....we recently completed this......No wonder most locals do not bother.

• Like 1