SIM Card Registration - Updated Information and The Procedure

hk blues
Posted
Posted

As an individual can register as many SIM cards as they wish, I wonder what is stopping an individual (take my wife for example) registering my SIM in her name as well as her own in her name as well? Nothing I'd bet.  

That said, reading the "rules" it seems that existing subscribers will have to go through the same hoops regardless of being foreigners or not.  So,  maybe no advantage in having the wife register both.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

That said, reading the "rules" it seems that existing subscribers will have to go through the same hoops regardless of being foreigners or not.  So,  maybe no advantage in having the wife register both.

And that's how there'll be a black market for the SIMS, Filipinos registering multiple SIMS to be sold to whoever.  

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

This law is a procrastinators dream :hystery: 6 month dead line, with a 3 month extension possible, the providers are each responsible for implementation (which means they have to pay for web site development and maintenance) nothing can go wrong there. First a test phase, then a soft opening then revamping, repeat as needed. :hystery:

Like others I will wait until the bugs are ironed out (if ever) :whistling:

Here is my prediction though.................within a month someone will run to court and get a TRO on this thing and it will slowly fade away like a lot of these other genius programs they come up with. 

Carnac jonny.jpg

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

And that's how there'll be a black market for the SIMS, Filipinos registering multiple SIMS to be sold to whoever.  

I wasn't even so much thinking of that, though it will undoubtedly happen, but more if they make it harder for foreigners to register then most will give up and get their partners to do it instead.

It's one of those things which is well-intentioned but doesn't stand up to any scrutiny in terms of achieving its objective.  The honest guys will comply despite the hassle and the dishonest ones (who are the targets) will find a way around it.  

No big deal but still a bit of a PITA.

• Like 5

Gator
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Precisely. 

A few years ago when I visited the Dominican Republic I ran into a similar issue. They wouldn’t sell you a SIM without ID and I had left mine at the hotel. The young girl said no problem, we just use mine, but there’s an extra charge (I think it was about 5$). Am sure the same thing will be happening here. 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

To give this a little perspective, here's a map of countries that require SIM registration.  

image.png

This map is from February so PI is still green.  If you read the entire article, there's many countries that require IMEI number registration as well (unique handset identifier, in it's simplest terms).

There's not many countries that have time limited registrations like PI is introducing. 

Here's a link to the entire article, it's a little dense so I'm not going to paste the entire thing here.  

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/sim-card-registration-laws/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

What about esims?  Seems a bit late to worry about SIM cards when the world is headed to esims.  Are these mentioned in the legislation?

Smart eSIM

What is the eSIM? The eSIM does away with the need for a physical SIM card, meaning you never have to swap it out again. The current Smart eSIM allows users to load their SIM profiles onto a phone without having to insert a physical SIM card, providing it supports the eSIM.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What about esims?  Seems a bit late to worry about SIM cards when the world is headed to esims.  Are these mentioned in the legislation?

Flip a coin on this one reckon but my gut says yes.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just did a quick Google and the answer is yes to registration of esims.

Edited by BrettGC