SIM Card Registration - Updated Information and The Procedure

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, CebuAndy said:

Used to be sim card machine inside the airport. Did any recently arrived observe if these machines was still there?

The sales booth outside airport still there?

As other said, much easier to get a local to buy a sim for us.

To be honest, the registration process for foreigners is not that much different for locals so maybe most will just bite the bullet and do it for themselves like I did despite previously planning to register in my wife's name.  The honest ones at least! 

As for the SIM machines - I cannot see how they can still be used as anyone buying a SIM now has to register the SIM and I doubt the machines are set up to process this.  It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has bought a new SIM post-Dec 27 to see how it's working on the ground.  There must be a fair few old SIMS lying around though so maybe the new process isn't really needed as yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

usa32
Posted
Posted

Reading this thread. I plan to visit in March and April for 59 days. And should have a 59 day visa on arrival. When I go to globe to get and register my sim, will they still insist on my sim being deactivated at 30 days and me having to go get another sim. It seems the law was written that all "tourists" will have sims deactivated at 30 days. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

• Hmm thinking 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Sales booths still there, at least they were in Terminal 3  this am. Non Filipinos having to show and passport recorded to get their sim cards.

• Thanks 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Freebie said:

Sales booths still there, at least they were in Terminal 3  this am. Non Filipinos having to show and passport recorded to get their sim cards.

Good to hear they have already got the technology in place for this.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Against all predictions, this appears to be going relatively smoothly. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, usa32 said:

Reading this thread. I plan to visit in March and April for 59 days. And should have a 59 day visa on arrival. When I go to globe to get and register my sim, will they still insist on my sim being deactivated at 30 days and me having to go get another sim. It seems the law was written that all "tourists" will have sims deactivated at 30 days. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

You won't have to keep replacing the SIM.  It will automatically deactivate after 30 days but you can have it extended as per your Visa but I'm not sure when in the process this can be done, hopefully when you obtain it 1st time and show the visa for 59 days.  I cannot find the exact reference to this to post but it's somewhere.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Against all predictions, this appears to be going relatively smoothly. 

Agreed.  My advice would be to get it done now before the rush and whilst it's working.  It's a 10-minute process at most, less if you have the following on your phone/pc -

1) photo of passport biodata page; 2)selfie (I took with passport page but it's not actually specified if this is required; 3) photo of ACR card - I took the front which shows Permanent Resident and photo; 4) photo of proof of address.

If you partner was to do then only 1) and 2) are required - theirs of course, not yours!  

ETA - make sure you have signal though as a verification code is sent to you phone to start the process.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

ETA - make sure you have signal though as a verification code is sent to you phone to start the process.

Oh Joy, we have zero reception for both Smart and Globe here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

4) photo of proof of address.

What did you use for this?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Oh Joy, we have zero reception for both Smart and Globe here. 

That's why I added the final comment - I know it can be an issue for many here.  

I guess a trip into the big city will be required in that case as even if your partner was to get the code she'd have no way to get it to you within the 5-minute time limit.  I know the 3 providers are setting up physical sites for others in your situation.  OR, internet cafe although security might be iffy but I'm not sure the info is that confidential.