What is the best health insurance to get?

Girl_going_home
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone,

I have just moved back here in PI after 35 years and can't wait to relearn everything. I would like to know your recommendation in regards to health insurance for my husband and I. I only suffer from asthma for now but age is creeping up fast. I live in Tagaytay and have dual US citizenship but about to end my insurance back in the US since it will cost me an arm and a leg to keep it. Any recommendations?

Patricia

Freebie
Posted
Posted

My friend was with Pacific Cross... from 55 to 65.... he turned 66 and they said they were excluding all dental and otician services they had provided previously... .and because hes 66 they added USD 4,000 a year to his premium. 

Ive been with Cigna for many years and whilst more expensive it doesnt have an age threshold where you are basically thrown to the wolves as in the case of Pacific Cross.

Important to Ask detailed questions with whoever you choose as provider about what happens at certain ages.

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Girl_going_home said:

Hello everyone,

I have just moved back here in PI after 35 years and can't wait to relearn everything. I would like to know your recommendation in regards to health insurance for my husband and I. I only suffer from asthma for now but age is creeping up fast. I live in Tagaytay and have dual US citizenship but about to end my insurance back in the US since it will cost me an arm and a leg to keep it. Any recommendations?

Patricia

I remember you asking questions some time ago about moving back to the Philippines. I am happy to see that you actually did it and I hope all will turn out great for you and your husband.

Me and my wife just did the same thing, one month ago, but we will split our time 50/50 between Ph and Sweden. We actually have a travel insurance that will cover our basic needs for a very reasonable amount. I am always shocked when I hear the premiums you guys have to pay for insurances!!!

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

As a former expat, I now enjoy the benefits of better health insurance in my home country (the USA). I was recently approached by a United HealthCare Medicare Advantage Plan, which claimed that it was good everywhere in the World. The problem is that you first need to have Medicare in order to qualify for the plan.  

gabgab
Posted
Posted (edited)

@Freebie what's your opinion on Cigna? Are they trustable or did they ever give you trouble when filing claims etc?

Edited by jimdones

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Even if you purchase commercial insurance it would be a good idea to also apply for Philhealth.  It does not pay a whole lot but is very inexpensive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jimdones said:

@Freebie what's your opinion on Cigna? Are they trustable or did they ever give you trouble when filing claims etc?

Hi Jim, I was with them under a company scheme in China for 5 years, and have been with them under a personal scheme for past 6 years. Never a problem. They are slower to respond to claims since covid ( more claims and working from home nonsense ? ) however they are fine. No claims ever refused Once they stated a claim was illegible ( mercury drug store printer ink running low ) but it was paid. Once its set up properly all claims made easily online and all all claims reimbursed to whichever bank you state in whichever currency you choose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gabgab
Posted
Posted

Thanks @Freebie, I am wondering about their 'place of residence' question (them asking where will I spend most of my year).

I know their insurance is valid globally (except US), but if I am spending roughly half the year in Philippines and half the year in Europe, it apparently makes a huge difference in the premium paid when I select either of these places as my place of residence (it's the Philippines premium that is much more expensive).

I'm just afraid they'll ask me "why am I filing most of my claims in the Philippines when I wrote I live in Europe" or vice versa. Or do I just switch premiums every time I move, which is a hassle.

• Hmm thinking 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimdones said:

Thanks @Freebie, I am wondering about their 'place of residence' question (them asking where will I spend most of my year).

I know their insurance is valid globally (except US), but if I am spending roughly half the year in Philippines and half the year in Europe, it apparently makes a huge difference in the premium paid when I select either of these places as my place of residence (it's the Philippines premium that is much more expensive).

I'm just afraid they'll ask me "why am I filing most of my claims in the Philippines when I wrote I live in Europe" or vice versa. Or do I just switch premiums every time I move, which is a hassle.

Its a good question and I cant really answer. I think its perfectly ok to put down one place and if questioned , reply you changed your location ,shouldnt be an issue. Obviously you should put the cheaper option and let them figure it out.

Whats the difference in premium if I might ask... I might have to change my location too , if Philippines is now more expensive than Europe  !  :)

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Freebie said:

Its a good question and I cant really answer. I think its perfectly ok to put down one place and if questioned , reply you changed your location ,shouldnt be an issue. Obviously you should put the cheaper option and let them figure it out.

Whats the difference in premium if I might ask... I might have to change my location too , if Philippines is now more expensive than Europe  !  :)

I have no idea but as there is such a price difference between the Philippines and Europe I'd be wary of choosing the cheaper option in the event I make a claim in the Philippines.  I'm sure there will be something in the small print about notifying them if and when you move from your original designated location.  Otherwise, everyone could choose the cheapest location.

I wouldn't want to give them an excuse to get out of paying a claim.