What is the best health insurance to get?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/15/2022 at 5:22 PM, Freebie said:

My friend was with Pacific Cross... from 55 to 65.... he turned 66 and they said they were excluding all dental and otician services they had provided previously... .and because hes 66 they added USD 4,000 a year to his premium. 

Ive been with Cigna for many years and whilst more expensive it doesnt have an age threshold where you are basically thrown to the wolves as in the case of Pacific Cross.

Important to Ask detailed questions with whoever you choose as provider about what happens at certain ages.

There is an expat who sells Pacific Cross.  He lives up North but does a lot of business with expats in Angeles and other areas.  Everyone raves about him, especially when in comes to claims.  If anyone is interested in Pacific Cross, might be worth your while to contact him for a quote.  He seems like a straight shooter.  If you want his FB info, PM me.

gabgab
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

I have no idea but as there is such a price difference between the Philippines and Europe I'd be wary of choosing the cheaper option in the event I make a claim in the Philippines.  I'm sure there will be something in the small print about notifying them if and when you move from your original designated location.  Otherwise, everyone could choose the cheapest location.

I wouldn't want to give them an excuse to get out of paying a claim. 

I agree, switching out of nowhere to a location that you never make claims in but that is significantly cheaper is pretty much cheating your insurance company, which can lead to them terminating the policy. There is a clause that you should put in the area in which you reside for the majority of the time (I've seen it when researching Cigna). If you're constantly on the road country hopping then I don't know how they deal with that, but if you're constantly making claims in the Philippines then it's pretty obvious to them that's your 'area'.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

sometimes.... self insuring is better.... and if you can't afford to do it and/or are not healthy enough to self insure... consider the risks of living there at all.  Just sayin... :2245_safe:

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Joey G said:

sometimes.... self insuring is better.... and if you can't afford to do it and/or are not healthy enough to self insure... consider the risks of living there at all.  Just sayin... :2245_safe:

I agree.  Retired here at 63, now 72 years old.  I estimate that I have somewhere between 70-80K (US dollars) in premiums.   I still have my Part A medicare if I come down with cancer or something similar and decided to get treatment in the US.  That being said, I have told my remaining family in the US that I plan on dying here and have no immediate plans of visiting the US in the future.  Still love the USA but the Philippines feels like home after nine years with no visits back to the US.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This company is the company my GF work use and I used for travel insurance awhile ago. I think they are based in Malaysia. As with most you still need Philhealth for this. system. https://www.etiqa.com.ph/mylifeplus-plan/

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

This company is the company my GF work use and I used for travel insurance awhile ago. I think they are based in Malaysia. As with most you still need Philhealth for this. system. https://www.etiqa.com.ph/mylifeplus-plan/

I am 72 now so would not qualify for this plan.  Out of curiosity I decided to calculate what the premiums would have been if I had taken out the insurance when I arrived and kept it to age 70 (max for the plan).  Premiums would have been a total of 826,000 peso.  I have not been hospitalized since being here and my total medical expenses have been relatively small, maybe 50K peso?  So for me anyway, being self insured was by far the least expensive way to go.  But that being said, you definitely are risking the throw of the dice by being self insured.  

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I am 72 now so would not qualify for this plan.  Out of curiosity I decided to calculate what the premiums would have been if I had taken out the insurance when I arrived and kept it to age 70 (max for the plan).  Premiums would have been a total of 826,000 peso.  I have not been hospitalized since being here and my total medical expenses have been relatively small, maybe 50K peso?  So for me anyway, being self insured was by far the least expensive way to go.  But that being said, you definitely are risking the throw of the dice by being self insured.  

Yes I was just suggesting the company if anyone wanted to check further. Insurance is one of those things that are a waste of money unless needed one day.

Recently GF work changed policy of who can be a dependent on staff insurance which now includes those who have lived with a partner for 5 years and gay relationships. When questioned about cohabitation with a foreigner that threw them out as they never thought of that but apparently the insurance company said OK. We had to get a certificate of cohabitation I think it was called and all was processed. Now waiting on my card as after all that they printed the card in her mothers name which had been removed as a dependant as she has her own insurance.

• Like 4