Sharing a car in the Philippines

Viking
Posted
Posted

I am sure it will be easy to find a Philipino who is willing to share a car with you!

They use it and you pick up the bills for all expenses 👍

If I should be serious, I think it will be hard finding someone trustworthy that will also be out of the country when you are here.

Maybe you could find a storage for it in a safe place, while you are not here? I actually don't know but it could be an option, if you are willing to take all the costs by yourself.

• Like 4

Barden
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Viking said:

I am sure it will be easy to find a Philipino who is willing to share a car with you!

They use it and you pick up the bills for all expenses 👍

:hystery::hystery: yea, that would a great deal !!!

Maybe we all should start a new business in the Philippines : "Long term car pooling for expats", after all this  is an unmet need within the expat comunity

Anyway I will postpone my decision to buy a car, something I will also bear in mind is be the location were I will live, in a big city, I would definitely not by a car, if in the provice , I might .

Than you guys for all the valuable input

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

One thing to remember in the Philippines the owner of the car is responsible for whatever trouble the car gets into. There was a recent hit and run incident where the owner wasn't driving but charges was filed against him.

It would be a shame to have your car commit a serious violation while you were gone. Therefore, the car I drive is in my wife's name. :no: She wasn't in the car when I was involved in a minor accident, not my fault and was caught on CCTV. I went home and told her she needed to go to the police station and file a report because HER car was in an accident.

• Like 5

Barden
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Greglm said:

One thing to remember in the Philippines the owner of the car is responsible for whatever trouble the car gets into. There was a recent hit and run incident where the owner wasn't driving but charges was filed against him.

GregLM,

Not sure this is how it works in the Philippines but, if it was a hit and run shouldnt it be  the  owner to present proof that he was not driving , or even better who was actualy driving. if he cannot present that proof , i guess he should be liable.
Is it not how it works in the US and Europe after all ?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Barden said:

"  do you mean that I would liable for any wrong doing the other driver would cause to third parties?

GeoffH,

I thought that a 3 months tourist visa , extended to 6 months still would apply the rull of 6 months or less = tourist, and 6 months + 1 day resident. 

I would be driving with an international drivers license valid for one year

Firstly being a foreigner you will often be held liable for an accident whether or not you’re actually responsible or not (and the rules for who’s responsible when the accident involves motorbikes and trikes are different anyway).

Secondly the Philippines does not use nor recognise international drivers licenses, persons on tourist visas are allowed to drive on their home licenses for a maximum of 90 days (if it’s not in English a translation document is needed).  After that time a conversion to a local license is required (which requires a long term visa and a non tourist ACR card).

There are long term ‘tourists’ with converted licenses but most got them in the past when LTO weren’t as strict about enforcing the regulations.  

You might be lucky and find an LTO office that will ignore the rules but chances are you won’t .

And you might get away with driving past the 3 month time limit on a foreign license, many people do but if you do have an accident after the 90 days then it could cause you a world of hurt because you’d be driving ‘unlicensed’.

I hope that clarifies the situation.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Barden said:

no rull of law ?

Bardon, I'll split this question off onto a new topic for you. Should be great fun it comes up time to time.

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Barden said:

Anyway I will postpone my decision to buy a car, something I will also bear in mind is be the location were I will live, in a big city, I would definitely not by a car, if in the provice , I might .

Another option is buying and selling 6 months later.  I got some great deals from a guy who used to do that.  He would buy a new motorcycle when he arrived, use it for 6 months and sell it to me at a depreciated price, based on a quick and guaranteed sale.  He just figured out what it would cost him to rent for 6 months then bought a new one and sold it to me with 6 months rental deducted from his price.  Good for both, in our case.  It may not be what you want but to go forward on that, you could make a deal to buy it back for an agreed price 6 months later.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Another option is buying and selling 6 months later.  I got some great deals from a guy who used to do that.  He would buy a new motorcycle when he arrived, use it for 6 months and sell it to me at a depreciated price, based on a quick and guaranteed sale.  He just figured out what it would cost him to rent for 6 months then bought a new one and sold it to me with 6 months rental deducted from his price.  Good for both, in our case.  It may not be what you want but to go forward on that, you could make a deal to buy it back for an agreed price 6 months later.

There have been several mentions of scooters and motorcycles as being an option.  Did the OP say if he had experience riding motorcycles?  If not the case, the Philippines is certainly not the best or safest place to learn.  

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

There have been several mentions of scooters and motorcycles as being an option.  Did the OP say if he had experience riding motorcycles?  If not the case, the Philippines is certainly not the best or safest place to learn.  

Sorry, I meant he could do the same with a car but It seems I did not say it. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Barden said:

Maybe we all should start a new business in the Philippines : "Long term car pooling for expats", after all this  is an unmet need within the expat comunity

It would be regulated and taxed to death... my opinion only...

"Not sure this is how it works in the Philippines but, if it was a hit and run shouldnt it be  the  owner to present proof that he was not driving , or even better who was actualy driving. if he cannot present that proof , i guess he should be liable.
Is it not how it works in the US and Europe after all ?"

You are in the Philippines... some things work differently here, and not necessarily to the benefit of foreigners...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4