Three Wheelers

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have any experience with either the Piaggio (makers of Vespa) or Bajaj 3 wheeled covered trikes.  The Piaggio has a larger engine - 225cc Vs 175cc - and has auto rather than manual.  Piaggio also has an electric option which would be fine as well 

We're after something for quick local only trips that also gives shelter from the sun and rain.  

There's a 30-40k PHP price difference from what we can see, but that's not really an issue.  

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, BrettGC said:

3 wheeled covered trikes

Bud Brown has been driving around Dumaguete in a 3 wheeler for more years than I can remember.  Most old time Dumaguete expats know him.  If he likes you he'll tell you all you ever wanted to know and if he gets bad vibes he's been know to just walk away.  Very good fellow, just a bit touchy.  Here is a vid showing his current one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Not a bad idea for those short shopping runs or whatnot. 

Watching the video made my lower back hurt. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Bud Brown has been driving around Dumaguete in a 3 wheeler for more years than I can remember.  Most old time Dumaguete expats know him.  If he likes you he'll tell you all you ever wanted to know and if he gets bad vibes he's been know to just walk away.  Very good fellow, just a bit touchy.  Here is a vid showing his current one.

Thanks Dave, even though Rusco doesn't sell his make any more, I'd be interested to hear his experience with Rusco.  I'll contact him through is Youtube channel. 

1 hour ago, Peaceful John said:

Brett, I bought a Baja RE almost 4 years ago and it's been great for me, the wife, and 2 kids.  The newer model, the Max is much better and improved in accessibility and size.  For driving around town it's great and easy to find parking.  The price is much better than a car, and the maintenance is simple with mainly oil change and lube the chassis.  We even take it to the mountains on dirt roads to visit the in-laws.  As far as comparing them to the other models, such as the Piaggio, I don't have any firsthand experience, but from their looks, all seem to have their strengths and weaknesses.  When I bought mine, it was the only think available and nobody had them.  So, when we drove around town we got a lot of inquisitive stares, but now they're everywhere with many models to choose from.  Mine has a 200 cc motor so it's sufficient, but when we are loaded up it would sure be nice to have more power.  Bottomline, with all the choices today, I'm not sure which one I would choose, but the Piaggo looks nice.  If you have any questions, fire away.  Oh, one last comment, maintenance here is no problem and very accessible.  The only thing I've needed except oil change is a new throttle cable and I had to have the brake fluid reservoir replaced, but that was my son's fault as he accidently used it for a foot pedal and pushed too hard. :bonk:

Good Luck

John

Thanks for sharing that John, the information is appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Not a bad idea for those short shopping runs or whatnot. 

Yep, exactly what we're thinking.  We have a mid-sized SUV and when driving it around town here in Guilhulgnan, it's a bit of a pain.  The main issue is not the general traffic but rather the trikes, and even moreso the pedi-trikes in the tight streets around the centre of town; the latter in particular seem to have a deathwish and are completely oblivious to anything around them.  

And yes, the model in the video Dave linked did look to be a little uncomfortable in the suspension department. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Same issue with my Honda Scoopy motor scooter.   The tires are so small you every little bump in the road runs up your spine.  And in the province there are many many many bumps in the road.   I will be watching this thread closely as I am hoping the Christmas Eve crash on my scooter will be my last.  Three wheels seems safer than two and more convenient, at least for short distance, than four.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Same issue with my Honda Scoopy motor scooter.   The tires are so small you every little bump in the road runs up your spine.  And in the province there are many many many bumps in the road.   I will be watching this thread closely as I am hoping the Christmas Eve crash on my scooter will be my last.  Three wheels seems safer than two and more convenient, at least for short distance, than four.

Hope you're ok mate.

I've seen a couple of the Baja and Piaggio's on the road and they appear to have reasonable suspension.  We're going to Dumaguete in early January for a shopping trip, so I'll visit Rusco and and ask for a test drive and update on here.  The other attractive thing about the 3 wheel option is they at least have room for the weekly groceries without the wife having to do a balancing act on the back of a bike with both hands hanging onto the bags.  

We thought about a Suzuki multi-cab but decided it wouldn't be much better in the traffic than the car we already have. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Hope you're ok mate.

Knee is actually feeling okay, foot still hurts like a b**&$ but I don't think any bones were broken.  Love to ride but maybe time to admit my younger days are behind me. :sad:

IMG_20221226_091409 (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 12/26/2022 at 3:03 PM, Peaceful John said:

Brett, I bought a Baja RE almost 4 years ago and it's been great for me, the wife, and 2 kids.  The newer model, the Max is much better and improved in accessibility and size.  For driving around town it's great and easy to find parking.  The price is much better than a car, and the maintenance is simple with mainly oil change and lube the chassis.  We even take it to the mountains on dirt roads to visit the in-laws.  As far as comparing them to the other models, such as the Piaggio, I don't have any firsthand experience, but from their looks, all seem to have their strengths and weaknesses.  When I bought mine, it was the only think available and nobody had them.  So, when we drove around town we got a lot of inquisitive stares, but now they're everywhere with many models to choose from.  Mine has a 200 cc motor so it's sufficient, but when we are loaded up it would sure be nice to have more power.  Bottomline, with all the choices today, I'm not sure which one I would choose, but the Piaggo looks nice.  If you have any questions, fire away.  Oh, one last comment, maintenance here is no problem and very accessible.  The only thing I've needed except oil change is a new throttle cable and I had to have the brake fluid reservoir replaced, but that was my son's fault as he accidently used it for a foot pedal and pushed too hard. :bonk:

Good Luck

John

What are they like on bumpy roads? I drive an old 4x4 Pajero and on the bumpy dirt road I have todrive very slow. I was thinking of buying the wife one, but the dirt bumpy road put me off.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2