Mauling of Michelin star chef in Cebu and who you know

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Gator said:

Wonder if it’ll now suddenly disappear.

Rumor is that it has been edited to show their side and submitted.

Off topic but I'll tell you something annoying.  Years ago a couple of foreigners were accused of kidnapping and killing a child.  There was video proof to show that the foreigners were no where near the area the kid was killed.  The cops said that videos are too easily doctored and would not accept the video as proof.  Eventually it turned out to be a Filipino family member whodunit.  This was about 10 years back.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

To be fair it would of probably gone worse for him if he started kicking up at a group of young drunk guys at a nightclub in the UK.
Searched his daughter on facebook and she probably looks the same age as a 25 year old Filipina, would obviously assume she's over 18 if she's at a nightclub at 1:30am.

KC813
Posted
Posted

The wrinkle in his story that I found odd is that he kept demanding an apology.  A good tongue-lashing and a report to their boss are reasonable responses.  Of course we don’t know all the facts, but being late at night in a bar as a foreigner – and with a daughter to protect, making unnecessary demands for apologies from multiple wrongdoers does not sound like a good idea. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Best not ever "make" a Filipino loose face especially if they've been drinking. Guessing this may have taken place?

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Best not ever "make" a Filipino loose face especially if they've been drinking. Guessing this may have taken place?

And not just loss of face, but in happened front of his barkada.  Sadly, there was almost no way this would end without violence.   I am not excusing the behavior of the Filipinos involved, but rather offering an explanation of the difference in cultures that led to the beat down.  There is a lesson in this for all of us.

For those not familiar with the concept of "hiya" it may be helpful to read the following description that I snipped from another web site.   

<snip>

Filipino etiquette

One of the major controlling elements in Filipino society – undetected by most visitors – is hiya, a difficult word to define, though essentially it means a sense of shame. Hiya is a factor in almost all social situations. It is a sense of hiya that prevents someone asking a question, for fear he may look foolish. It is hiya that sees many Filipinos refuse to disagree openly, for fear they may cause offence. To not have hiya is a grave social sin. To be accused of being walang-hiya (to be shameless) is the ultimate insult. Hiya goes hand in hand with the preservation of amor-propio (the term literally means “love of self”), ie to avoid losing face. If you ever wonder why a Filipino fails to broach awkward subjects with you, or to point out that your flies are undone, it is because hiya and amor-propio are at work.

If you are ever in doubt about how to behave in the Philippines, bring to mind the value of pakikisama, which in rough translation means “to get along”. Don’t flaunt your gauche liberal values and don’t confront the waiter or bark insults if he gets your order wrong. This offends his sense of amor-propio and marks you out as being an obnoxious walang-hiya foreigner. Talk to him quietly and ask that the order be changed. The same rules apply with government officials, police, ticket agents, hotel receptionists and cashiers. If there’s a problem, sort it out quietly and patiently. A sense of delicadeza is also important to Filipinos. This might be translated as “propriety”, a simple sense of good behaviour, particularly in the presence of elders or ladies.

<end snip>

• Like 4

Joey G
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Sadly, there was almost no way this would end without violence.   I am not excusing the behavior of the Filipinos involved, but rather offering an explanation of the difference in cultures that led to the beat down.  There is a lesson in this for all of us.

I think we're on the same page... but honestly... sh*t like this happens every night, 1,000+ times throughout the world... a couple black eyes isn't as big a deal as it looks... the fact they all ended up at the police station talking about it after is waaaay more civil than most bar fights I've seen...  I put this in the category of... 

Play stupid games... win stupid prizes :7500:  in this case it's a booby prize :7481:

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

And not just loss of face, but in happened front of his barkada.  Sadly, there was almost no way this would end without violence.   I am not excusing the behavior of the Filipinos involved, but rather offering an explanation of the difference in cultures that led to the beat down.  There is a lesson in this for all of us.

For those not familiar with the concept of "hiya" it may be helpful to read the following description that I snipped from another web site.   

<snip>

Filipino etiquette

One of the major controlling elements in Filipino society – undetected by most visitors – is hiya, a difficult word to define, though essentially it means a sense of shame. Hiya is a factor in almost all social situations. It is a sense of hiya that prevents someone asking a question, for fear he may look foolish. It is hiya that sees many Filipinos refuse to disagree openly, for fear they may cause offence. To not have hiya is a grave social sin. To be accused of being walang-hiya (to be shameless) is the ultimate insult. Hiya goes hand in hand with the preservation of amor-propio (the term literally means “love of self”), ie to avoid losing face. If you ever wonder why a Filipino fails to broach awkward subjects with you, or to point out that your flies are undone, it is because hiya and amor-propio are at work.

If you are ever in doubt about how to behave in the Philippines, bring to mind the value of pakikisama, which in rough translation means “to get along”. Don’t flaunt your gauche liberal values and don’t confront the waiter or bark insults if he gets your order wrong. This offends his sense of amor-propio and marks you out as being an obnoxious walang-hiya foreigner. Talk to him quietly and ask that the order be changed. The same rules apply with government officials, police, ticket agents, hotel receptionists and cashiers. If there’s a problem, sort it out quietly and patiently. A sense of delicadeza is also important to Filipinos. This might be translated as “propriety”, a simple sense of good behaviour, particularly in the presence of elders or ladies.

<end snip>

It's not just a Filipino thing as much as an Asian concept albeit to different extents. And, much of it is as we'd like to think we behave in the West. 

I'm short, it's not a particularly alien concept for us Westerners and as such not that hard for us to adapt to.

In theory!

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think we are missing the issue here. Its really about what happened after the fight broke out. The bouncers and staff holding him down while others beat him is what I read. The business has said it will now employ more security staff. I guess so you cant win. 

Yep/ Out came the petty jealousises, and if we cant be as rich as the dick head foreigner we can feel good because we gave him a good kicking.

Filipino "bouncers " on a par with motorbike taxis in Thailand. They all love to kick a foreigner, especially when theirs 10 of them and one foreigner.

Presumably the bar in question can now put up a " foreigners not welcome " sign because Im sure very few would be venturing there after this nonsense.

Hopefully the Chef can also put a sign outside his restaurant stating " Brave Warriors of F Bar...Bawal sa Pumasok ".

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think we are missing the issue here. It’s really about what happened after the fight broke out. The bouncers and staff holding him down while others beat him is what I read.

19 hours ago, Freebie said:

Yep/ Out came the petty jealousies, and if we cant be as rich as the dick head foreigner we can feel good because we gave him a good kicking.

My thoughts exactly.  Out came the racism, deep seated resentment and so called “pride” (you all know what pride I refer to!). A stark reminder of the targets we foreigners wear on our backs. 

• Like 4