Mauling of Michelin star chef in Cebu and who you know

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 12/30/2022 at 10:09 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Years ago a couple of foreigners were accused of kidnapping and killing a child.  There was video proof to show that the foreigners were no where near the area the kid was killed.  The cops said that videos are too easily doctored and would not accept the video as proof.  Eventually it turned out to be a Filipino family member whodunit.

No the real killer was never caught, arguably because the PNP focused instead on an innocent foreigner who likely would still be jail today if not for a single security cam video that exonerated him.  PNP at its worst.

23 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The business has said it will now employ more security staff.

I was there last month, the first thing I noticed was at least half a dozen black-shirted bouncers, maybe they were on vacation during the 'melee'. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Kingpin said:

No the real killer was never caught

For those who wonder what we are talking about, you can read about the history of the case here.
https://www.philstar.com/the-freeman/cebu-news/2014/10/11/1378955/ellah-joy-pique-kidnap-slay-case-dismissed)

I had heard through the bamboo telegraph that it was an uncle who did it but it seems that whoever did it was never caught.  This is the way of things in the Philippines.

• 4 weeks later...
Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 12/30/2022 at 12:13 AM, Kingpin said:

I see bankruptcy in the bar's future, or worse...

Well that didn't take long, lol I love this island

F Cafe and Bar kicked out of bldg for December brawl

F Café and Bar was embroiled in a controversy after Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia accused its personnel of mauling British chef and restaurateur Jason Atherton last December.  Garcia’s nephew, Cebu City Vice Mayor Raymond Alvin Garcia, called on the Cebu City Police Office to investigate the allegations against the establishment.  Later, the governor called on the National Bureau of Investigation

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1951944/cebu/local-news/f-cafe-and-bar-kicked-out-of-bldg-for-december-brawl

• Like 5
  • Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing this. I'm surprised this happened normally there are few repercussions for bad behavior against Foreigners. 

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

Thanks for sharing this. I'm surprised this happened normally there are few repercussions for bad behavior against Foreigners. 

He had the right friends, or it would probably not end this way.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Viking said:

:AddEmoticons04230:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Viking said:

Yep, as often the case here, it's not about being right or wrong but having the right or wrong friends. 

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yep, as often the case here, it's not about being right or wrong but having the right or wrong friends. 

Name the place on earth where it is about being right or wrong, not having the right or wrong friends.

Gas
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

Or a healthy wallet.

Plenty of foreigners buy their way out of trouble when they should be in jail. 

• Like 1