Resto Service Descrimination Against Fil-Foreigner Couples?

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Guess I could start this topic under several sub-forums, but figured would start here given location this happened.......

Although have lived here before (Philippines lite as USG provided a great home and amenities at no cost to me)  and visited more times than can count, I am a Newbie as living here on own as retiree now; so, had recent bad resto-bar experience in Antipolo area I'm wondering about.  We’re at Padi's there few nights ago for Adult beverages, Incredible metropolis skyline views And planned dinner, but we got  what Seemed to be  “Filipina Married to Foreigner” discrimination, IF such exists(?), and ignored upon entry until we finally asked for seating (was Not at all crowded....maybe 5 of 30 tables occupied), which we were seated by view rail, given menus, then ignored for about 15 minutes, including waving for their attention and they’d obviously look away like “I can’t see you!”, until my Asawa went and asked them why we had not been waited on for 15 minutes, when other Fil only couples after us had been waited on sitting right next to us.   We were then promptly served after her politely calling them out.  Considering prior discussions here on tips, seemed like self-defeating behavior by staff, If intentional.  Someone else told me maybe they were just shy of foreigners, but since this seems a touristy spot And in metro NCR, I don't think so.   My Asawa said it absolutely was intentional, and she's a a native here.  We ultimately  decided take our dinner biz to a much better place (Gerry’s Grille), where we've never had a bad meal or bad service.  SO!...My question is, Is this a thing here?  If so, is it frequent or just depends on the location.    I can tell you we got Excellent treatment just week before at the Padi's in Caloocan-Fairview and This incident/situation was the first time I've experienced the bad side seemgingly directed At Us.   Not bashing anyone or the biz, just wondering while I learn.

Too bad as has great hillside perch view of Massive Manila metropolis.

Manilia skyline sunset.JPG

• Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Freebie said:

And having been a waiter for many years throughout college and beyond, Id like to think I perfected the " I can see you and all those waving arms of yours but Im not actually going to do anything about it " look....

Maybe they knew I'm a Campbell and one of 'em is a McDonald.....ya never know.:shades:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I think this is a one off experience. I have never ever been ignored like you have mentioned.

Having said that, I have noticed that AT TIMES it is harder to get a waiter/waitress's attention, like say if you ready for the check. But I have put that down to not having assigned tables like we are used to in the States.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:89: I  have been here many many years and have never been the subject to this  at all. When we are out at any resto at all, it is always Good (whatever time it is )Sir, come on, they know, we will spend, so I am just not going with the postes here. cash IS king here we KNOW this and they do.what can I sayWho knows (dave.jpg 

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I dont think I have ever experienced this. There are times it might seem like a waiter is ignoring you but usually they can only do one thing at a time unless well experienced so that might explain things. Anyway if there are many tables vacant why wait to be seated, just choose and sit.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I  have been here many many years and have never been the subject to this  at all

Have you ever gone to eat at that Don Atilano restaurant on the boulevard?  I never tried when I lived there as I heard the same kind of stories as the OP posted.  At one time it was said to be a place where you could find the mayor or "high" Filipinos dining and foreigners were not welcome.  All just talk, but believable anecdotes.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Guess I could start this topic under several sub-forums, but figured would start here given location this happened.......

Although have lived here before (Philippines lite as USG provided a great home and amenities at no cost to me)  and visited more times than can count, I am a Newbie as living here on own as retiree now; so, had recent bad resto-bar experience in Antipolo area I'm wondering about.  We’re at Padi's there few nights ago for Adult beverages, Incredible metropolis skyline views And planned dinner, but we got  what Seemed to be  “Filipina Married to Foreigner” discrimination, IF such exists(?), and ignored upon entry until we finally asked for seating (was Not at all crowded....maybe 5 of 30 tables occupied), which we were seated by view rail, given menus, then ignored for about 15 minutes, including waving for their attention and they’d obviously look away like “I can’t see you!”, until my Asawa went and asked them why we had not been waited on for 15 minutes, when other Fil only couples after us had been waited on sitting right next to us.   We were then promptly served after her politely calling them out.  Considering prior discussions here on tips, seemed like self-defeating behavior by staff, If intentional.  Someone else told me maybe they were just shy of foreigners, but since this seems a touristy spot And in metro NCR, I don't think so.   My Asawa said it absolutely was intentional, and she's a a native here.  We ultimately  decided take our dinner biz to a much better place (Gerry’s Grille), where we've never had a bad meal or bad service.  SO!...My question is, Is this a thing here?  If so, is it frequent or just depends on the location.    I can tell you we got Excellent treatment just week before at the Padi's in Caloocan-Fairview and This incident/situation was the first time I've experienced the bad side seemgingly directed At Us.   Not bashing anyone or the biz, just wondering while I learn.

Too bad as has great hillside perch view of Massive Manila metropolis.

Manilia skyline sunset.JPG

I tend to agree with the others.  If a resto is poorly managed, this stuff happens more frequently.  If the employees don't know their roles and/or are short handed and/or don't have a good supervisor overseeing the big picture, things fall apart quickly.

Funny you mentioned Gerry's.  We have three in our area.  We will no longer eat at two of them due to poor management and our resulting bad experiences.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Nine years living here and we have never had a problem like that.  Not uncommon here for resto staff, at smaller establishments, to expect customers to just walk in and pick a table.  Curious, when you waved for their attention. Did you wave with palm up or palm down?  Palm up means "I am the boss and you are in trouble, get your @^& over here", palm down is a "polite request for attention".  In any case the obvious lack of concern or service on the part of the staff was very rude and unprofessional by any measure.  Like you, I would scratch that place off my "go to" list. 

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, scott h said:

Having said that, I have noticed that AT TIMES it is harder to get a waiter/waitress's attention, like say if you ready for the check. But I have put that down to not having assigned tables like we are used to in the States.

To get their attention, a waiter/waitress expects you to raise your hand like a schoolboy.  If this is insufficient, try making the hissing sound similar to, "Pssst."   Extremely rude, but it works.  Once you have their attention, make a rectangular box gesture with your fingers signifying what you want.  By the way, it's called locally, "the bill" rather than the American "check please."  

• Like 3