Resto Service Descrimination Against Fil-Foreigner Couples?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Once you have their attention, make a rectangular box gesture with your fingers signifying what you want.

That's what my wife does and it works. 

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, scott h said:

Having said that, I have noticed that AT TIMES it is harder to get a waiter/waitress's attention, like say if you ready for the check.

I solved that many times by going to cashier directly myself. Its standard practice in China for restuarnt customers to go pay the cashier and its way more efficient.  and to be honest saves all the faffing about with finding service staff, getting them to get the bill/check, them coming to you collecting money ,them going to cashier to get change etc , them returning to you etc......going there yourself truly solves all of this when time limited. Service charges takes care of any tip but will always leave something in the tip jar too.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

By the way, it's called locally, "the bill" rather than the American "check please."  

"Billout" usually works best I find.  Plus the square box. Its funny, in HK theres no square box, only an imaginary signature, waved  in the air.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

That's what my wife does and it works. 

I learned the "box" technique from a Filipino buddy in the U.S. in the 90's.  Maybe he learned it from relatives as he moved to the U.S. when he was very young.

2 hours ago, Freebie said:

only an imaginary signature, waved  in the air.

That is the one I first learned in the U.S.  "sign for it".

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Nine years living here and we have never had a problem like that.  Not uncommon here for resto staff, at smaller establishments, to expect customers to just walk in and pick a table.  Curious, when you waved for their attention. Did you wave with palm up or palm down?  Palm up means "I am the boss and you are in trouble, get your @^& over here", palm down is a "polite request for attention".  In any case the obvious lack of concern or service on the part of the staff was very rude and unprofessional by any measure.  Like you, I would scratch that place off my "go to" list. 

Just put my hand up with a small wave as the Filipino gentlemen at table next to us had done.  Didn't do the motion that of "come to me" palm or fingers up as was always told that's associated with calling a dog?   I'll just chalk it up to a one-and-done since their location and view I'm sure draws in quite a few people long term.  I've friends who've been there and had the opposite experience as me; so, figure depends on who is working that day, etc.  Funny, doesn't bother me nearly as much a week later and we're moving on to Dumaguete this weekend for exploratory, possibly permanent, visit, after checking out the crowded Nuvali area around Sta Rosa this week.  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Like most of us on this forum, I've been to more than a few different countries and never had any issue getting served, menus or bills nor have I had to resort to any complicated hand signals or noises either - all seems so rude and impatient as the default.

Definitely not had any issues here although service can be patchy never been ignored. Except by my wife that is!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Anomalies happen all the time for unexplained reasons in the PI and elsewhere. I wouldn't generalize from it. No way to predict what individual people or small groups will do, these days.... and I am at a point in my life where I no longer try to find a rational explanation for many things that occur, but just focus on finding a simple solution for my personal life.

• Like 2