Table manners

Viking
Posted
Posted

After spending the holidays with family and relatives, I have a question for you.

Is it normal for people here to eat from every pot and bowl they find on the table, with the same spoon or fork? People here used a spoon/fork and ate directly from the serving plate/pots. Nobody, but me and my wife, put the food on their plates before starting to eat. It was almost like a feeding frenzy.

That was the case here and I actually found it a bit disgusting, so did my wife. I guess she has been living abroad for too long, hahaha.

Soo, what do you say? Is this normal behavior here or not?

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gas
Posted
Posted

Depends on the closeness of the relatives. If it’s mum, dad and the kids it’s possible they use the same spoon and fork. 
Usually if it’s with relatives there is a serving spoon. 
The only time I’d say the same spoon and fork used is during drinking sessions. One of the reasons I don’t eat.! 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

My experience is similar to Gas's, close family it's a free-for-all with fingers and spoons from their own plates used in all the servings. Larger gatherings, not so much. 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Avalon said:

My big hangup is people talking with food in their mouth and everyone seems to do that here.  I read its actually a psychological disorder but I forgot the name - for me it's like fingernails running down a blackboard - once they start talking amongst themselves with food in their mouth I have to quietly leave and attend to something (anything).  :no:

I know what you mean, it’s disgusting. Same with ppl who chew with their mouths open. When my grandmother seen ppl like that she would say it’s like cows chewing their cuds. 🤣

• Love it 1
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

If you are looking for a Filipina wife/girlfriend, you best be taking them out to dinner first. :hystery:

That would eliminate most of them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Avalon said:

I've not experienced that - we had the extended family over Christmas Day - rolling in as groups from different locations.  Food was in bowls on the table each with a serving spoon and everyone used those to put food on their plate and then use either cutlery or fingers from their plates.  My big hangup is people talking with food in their mouth and everyone seems to do that here.  I read its actually a psychological disorder but I forgot the name - for me it's like fingernails running down a blackboard - once they start talking amongst themselves with food in their mouth I have to quietly leave and attend to something (anything).  :no:

That is when I go out with my dogs, they have better table manners.

• Haha 4

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I have not seen folks eating directly from the serving bowls.  When we are with a group they use the serving utensils, put food on their plate, and then eat either with fingers or spoons.  I have seen a few people use their fingers to take food out of the serving bowls/dishes and put it on their plate, but that is pretty rare.  Agree with the comments about chewing with mouth open and/or talking with food in their mouth.  Damn, that's gross.   If you are looking for a Filipina wife/girlfriend, you best be taking them out to dinner first. :hystery:

It reminds me of my days working on drilling rigs in Malaysia, where the locals would eat with their hands, rice and all, so we put up a security screen to protect us from the sight of it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Avalon said:

My big hangup is people talking with food in their mouth and everyone seems to do that here.  I

Even worse in almost all  restaurants in China.. eat with mouth open AND SMOKE.. double disgust !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2