Who is the best knee surgeon in Manila? We need ACL reconstruction for a teenage family member.

mrmichaelrb
Posted
Posted

We have a young teenage soccer player in our family who was recently injured, and the doctors say that ACL reconstruction is necessary. Does anyone have any recommendations for knee surgeons in the Manila area?

Ideally, we'd like to look at the option of an allograft (from a donor) instead of a autograft (harvested from another part of his body), but the doctors seem to think that we'd have to go out of the country to get that. We haven't made a decision, but it would be nice to have the option.

I'm hoping that someone knows of a doctor within the Philippines with good experience and expertise.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Joey G
Posted
Posted

So your talking about salvaging a teenager soccer players career... I can guarantee this is a LOT more common in the USA than the Philippines, so thats where the experience is. Physical therapy will be just as important, and you'll want get it with the end goal in mind. Again.... waaaay more experience in the USA. Which graft you use will be less important than the surgeon you choose.

But if you really want to give it a shot here. Go to the St. Lukes Medical Center in Manila website.... you can search for an orthopedic sports surgeon with pull down menus.

I'd add... unless you have already seen an orthopedic surgeon... I wouldn't bank on another doctors conclusion reconstructive ACL surgery is required.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

You might check with Bumrungrad Hospital in Thailand. Excellent hospital and affordable. They answer the phone and emails.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

http://www.philorthoinst.com/

I cant tell you a surgeon, but Philippines Orthopedic in Makati maybe be able to offer you a good referral.

They are very good for various orthopedic issues, up to and including shoulder replacement etc.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

This is very old information and likely outdated... But here it is:

I have friend who needed knee replacement surgery maybe 10 years ago already. He was located in Palau, which is a USA affiliated independent country. It was suggested to him that he go to Taiwan for his treatment. According to him, they were ready to work on him the very next day after his arrival there. Also, according to him, their prices were quite reasonable - especially when compared with USA prices and even compared to Philippine prices. They did the surgery and he was walking within 48 hours. He was old, even then, at about 70+ years.

So, anyway, I guess I am suggesting that the OP may wish to consider or at least research medical treatment in Taiwan?

• Like 2