Latest VPN Reviews 2023

OzeMike
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

As technology changes, so to does the software we use to utilise that technology.  VPN's in particular are very dynamic out of necessity.  Why?  Streaming services, hackers and even government agencies devote thousands of hours to defeating VPNs, so said VPNs need to be able to guard against these attempts to keep providing the service we enjoy.  The best way to keep a VPN current is customer feedback.  For example, a couple of weeks ago I couldn't acess some Australia-only content on Netflix. I fed this back to my VPN customer service people by email; about 8 hours later I received an email stating that the issue should be resolved and could I test it. I did, it was fixed, I let them know, everyone was happy. 

The following table are the top 4 paid services ranked by various criteria:  

image.png

I haven't included free services as in the past I've found them to be wanting with regards to bandwidth and time limitations.  If I'm online in a browser, my VPN is normally active. 

Of the 4 shown, they're all much the same and it comes down to your preference of interface.  ExpressVPN is becoming stupidly expensive compared to the others though, so unless you really love their interface I wouldn't consider them.  

At the moment I'm using Nord.  The main reason being that they now have a browser extension that allows your browser only to be connected to the VPN.  I like it due to the fact I'm an online gamer and I don't want any extra steps through VPN servers to interfere with my ping times with the game and voice servers; it can mean life or virtual death!  :571b119686cf7_1(72):But I can keep my browser connected without my entire computer suffering from ping lag.  

Anyway, the full article is here: 

https://vpnoverview.com/best-vpn/top-5-best-vpn/

Good info Brett.

I haven't used SurfShark but have used the other 3 listed and all worked well.

I agree ExpressVPN is becoming very expensive and I am considering moving to one of the other 3 listed real soon.

I use to use a particular VPN to stream Kayo Sports from Australia but the buffering on my PLDT Fibre 30-40 Mbps drove me crazy and I packed it in. Kayo detects most VPNs and stops streaming...pity as it covered all the sports I love.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Reviews for 2023 lol. Its only the 11 of January so 2023 has a way to go.  Just away to get people to read their site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Reviews for 2023 lol. Its only the 11 of January so 2023 has a way to go.  Just away to get people to read their site.

The point is it's their latest update. So yes, it got me to read their site. 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, OzeMike said:

I use to use a particular VPN to stream Kayo Sports from Australia but the buffering on my PLDT Fibre 30-40 Mbps drove me crazy and I packed it in. Kayo detects most VPNs and stops streaming...pity as it covered all the sports I love.

Same thing happened to me mate, even the boffins at Nord couldn't help me out.  It was a long year without any AFL or NRL :sad: 

Edit: And now no cricket 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Brett, I subscribed to “watch AFL overseas.com” as a keeping me sane method, and of course NordVPN as a delivery method, it worked well for me.

• Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Brett, I subscribed to “watch AFL overseas.com” as a keeping me sane method, and of course NordVPN as a delivery method, it worked well for me.

Thanks mate, I'll check it out.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

The point is it's their latest update. So yes, it got me to read their site. 

I will argue with that as its just a headline. Data could be 2 years old. But anyway whatever will be will be.  Most probably dont know the truth of what is real facts or just another revamp of info.  AI comes to mind. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I will argue with that as its just a headline. Data could be 2 years old. But anyway whatever will be will be.  Most probably dont know the truth of what is real facts or just another revamp of info.  AI comes to mind. 

Could be, but the site has been a trusted source for years and I've not seen any evidence recently to say otherwise.  

They're not the only source I use to make my individual decisions, but they're the most concise and mostly jargon-free compared to some of the more technical reviewers. 

I have no doubt it would have taken weeks to test all the listed products and that likely did start in 2022, but it's like the compliance plate on a car, that's dated the day it's affixed, not the date the car started manufacture. 

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

Why the need for a constant VPN in the Philippines? In my experience banks and other accounts don't have a problem with a foreign IP. Opening a new account may require it but that rarely happens anyway.