Latest VPN Reviews 2023

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Do you know anyone who was hacked or scammed because they didn't hide their IP?

I don't.  I also don't know anyone who's whole family was murdered because they left their doors unlocked with no security.  But does that mean its a good idea to leave your doors unlocked and have no security.  Perhaps you won't see the analogy, but others will.

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Do you know anyone who was hacked or scammed because they didn't hide their IP? I get your other reasons but they don't apply to me, or if they did it's nothing a free VPN for a few minutes couldn't fix.

Not personally, but if they can't see your IP address, they can't attack you.  

image.png

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 1/12/2023 at 3:52 PM, Peaceful John said:

But my main use is to watch sports and movies/tv shows from the US that are blocked here.  When I want to check my credit score or identity theft prevention, those type sites also require me using it.  Being able to watch the entire football/baseball season, Prime Video, Hulu, Philo, Netflix (US), etc., all required it.  

I use one for the same reasons many already have listed. Privacy, security and a couple of my banking sites won’t work here unless I show I’m in the USA. 

@ Peaceful John and any other tech savvy members: are you watching Prime, etc on your laptop or do you have your vpn rigged to work with your tv? Prime on my tv “knows” I’m not in the USA and is in travel mode, hence the programming is very limited and mostly only offers shows for rent or purchase. If you have your vpn linked to your tv as well, may I ask how you did it? 

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Using Amazon 4k firestick connected to tv, loaded with NordVpn, and more apps.

Only need to check that vpn has connected to a Usa location first, before open Netflix or Prime.

Used Express vpn before until Netflix flagged all Expressvpn ip in the US. Changed to Nordvpn and no problem.

@Gator if you use expressvpn, you're out of luck, both prime and netflix has flagged all their old ip.

Change to another VPN, I suggest Nordvpn, and likely no more problem.

Must also change your location in Prime to anywhere in the US. If you adress set to Philippines or anywhere outside US, you need to change that.

If you don't want to change vpn, you can go into Prime settings when you offline and delete cache. Restart internet + vpn location US, and then Prime lastly, and see if that helps. You will still have same problem each time your internet disconnect. 

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 1/11/2023 at 2:28 PM, BrettGC said:

Same thing happened to me mate, even the boffins at Nord couldn't help me out.  It was a long year without any AFL or NRL :sad: 

Edit: And now no cricket 

Same for me watching NFL....can't watch on my NFL Game Pass using either NOrd or Express VPN, as NFL's system still figures out I'm in Philippines.  Then tried to set up NFL Game Pass International app, apparently run for them by a third party and says Philippines is a country where available, but then when get to the site, says not available in your location.  :angry_80_anim_gif:   Still trying to figure it out.  With playoffs now on track, doesn't matter because Can watch games on one streaming TV service via Nord.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, CebuAndy said:

Using Amazon 4k firestick connected to tv, loaded with NordVpn, and more apps.

Only need to check that vpn has connected to a Usa location first, before open Netflix or Prime.

Used Express vpn before until Netflix flagged all Expressvpn ip in the US. Changed to Nordvpn and no problem.

@Gator if you use expressvpn, you're out of luck, both prime and netflix has flagged all their old ip.

Change to another VPN, I suggest Nordvpn, and likely no more problem.

Must also change your location in Prime to anywhere in the US. If you adress set to Philippines or anywhere outside US, you need to change that.

If you don't want to change vpn, you can go into Prime settings when you offline and delete cache. Restart internet + vpn location US, and then Prime lastly, and see if that helps. You will still have same problem each time your internet disconnect. 

I’m using PIA (Private Internet Access) as my vpn. No issues using it in my phone, iPad or laptop with either Netflix or Prime. I have a Samsung smart tv so the apps for Prime, Netflix and a few others are already there. My dilemma is getting my vpn to work on the tv.  Right now my converge (Cisco) router is picked up by the tv as the source.  How do add or get my vpn to work on the tv? 

• Hmm thinking 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Nickleback99 said:

Same for me watching NFL....can't watch on my NFL Game Pass using either NOrd or Express VPN, as NFL's system still figures out I'm in Philippines.  Then tried to set up NFL Game Pass International app, apparently run for them by a third party and says Philippines is a country where available, but then when get to the site, says not available in your location.  :angry_80_anim_gif:   Still trying to figure it out.  With playoffs now on track, doesn't matter because Can watch games on one streaming TV service via Nord.  

Unfortunately some streaming providers have worked out how to detect VPNs on their sites.  Kayo in Australia (a division of Fox) streams most sports (all UK Euro football except EPL and US sports) but I've tried 4 different VPNs and no luck.  You can log in, browse etc but as soon as you hit play, it comes up with an error message.  

• Like 3

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gator said:

I have a Samsung smart tv

How do add or get my vpn to work on the tv? 

From all I've read beeing a 'geek', the problem would be your Samsung tv limitations.

Samsung are not a android tv, unable to download your ip app into your Samsung tv. This is why majority who want all options android tv, avoid Samsung, and buy Sony or other brand android tv. Was a fan and owner of Samsung tv myself before 2018, until I realized Samsungs limitations.

Let's see opinions from other members first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gator said:

I’m using PIA (Private Internet Access) as my vpn. No issues using it in my phone, iPad or laptop with either Netflix or Prime. I have a Samsung smart tv so the apps for Prime, Netflix and a few others are already there. My dilemma is getting my vpn to work on the tv.  Right now my converge (Cisco) router is picked up by the tv as the source.  How do add or get my vpn to work on the tv? 

I've never tried it, but it depends on the OS on the TV.  Samsung uses a proprietary OS called Tizen.  I found an article explaining how to set a VPN up on your router as Tizen doesn't have access to Google Play Store; my next TV will be an Android if I can find one.

https://www.wizcase.com/blog/how-to-use-a-vpn-on-smart-tv/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, CebuAndy said:

From all I've read beeing a 'geek', the problem would be your Samsung tv limitations.

Samsung are not a android tv, unable to download your ip app into your Samsung tv. This is why majority who want all options android tv, avoid Samsung, and buy Sony or other brand android tv. Was a fan and owner of Samsung tv myself before 2018, until I realized Samsungs limitations.

Let's see opinions from other members first.

This is true.  I have a Sony and 2 x TCLs, Android or Google TVs and 1 Samsung.  The range of apps covered by the Samsung is much more limited - I cannot even add Discovery+ to the Samsung so I need to use the web version every time and log in each time and cannot create a watch-list or suchlike.  It does have Netflix and Amazon Prime though.  

• Like 3