Dual Citizenship Needed for Child's Departure?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Why does Philippines immigration care what you do with US passports? You don't even need to bring them, nevermind hand them over.  I get why you would want them stamped but it doesn't seem any business of the BI.

I'm not sure what your interest is.  Do you have dual citizen kids or are a dual citizen?  Above I explained one possible reason.  This is all based on my experience and sometimes we don't know why they do things like they do.

1.  Filipinos have different requirements to leave the Philippines.  A Filipino/U.S. dual citizen, with the U.S. passport, automatically is not subject to Philippines requirements and they are free to travel as they choose.  For instance, a Filipino child needs a DSWD travel clearance to leave the country.  A dual Filipino / U.S. citizen child does not.  Thus the BI would need to see the U.S. passport or a Filipino passport with DSWD travel clearance.  CFO would also not apply to a dual young lady.

2.  As mentioned in my last post, if you only present a Filipino passport when exiting, for many Western countries, the Filipino will need to have a visa in the Filipino passport.  A dual Filipino / U.S. probably does not need a visa unless going to someplace like Russia.

The next items are based on actual recent experience.

A.  Passport stamps are going away.  Everything is going electronic.  We just got back from Australia.  My dual citizen 6 year old has two brand new passports.  Her passports still have no stamps.  Not from AU and not from PH.

Edit:  Correction.  My wife said they stamped the passports but when I thumbed through them last night I missed them as they are very faint.  AU, no stamps.  PH stamped both US and PH passport, going out and coming in.

B.  In both Australia and PH, immigration scanned both passports.  There are all kinds of things they could be looking for.  In both places, they also physically looked at the passport photo in both passports and compared them to the kids.

C.  For Australia, the kids and I required an ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) before going to AU.  They never asked for it.  Scan the passport and it comes up in their system.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 5

Gas
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Edit:  Correction.  My wife said they stamped the passports but when I thumbed through them last night I missed them as they are very faint.  AU, no stamps.  PH stamped both US and PH passport, going out and coming in.

Must be a new requirement  as my kids British passports do not have stamps in them from the Philippines. The youngest is flying in at the end of January and I will check to see if it is stamped. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gas said:

Must be a new requirement  as my kids British passports do not have stamps in them from the Philippines. The youngest is flying in at the end of January and I will check to see if it is stamped. 

Or an Immigration Officer who wasn't sure what they should do and stamped both just in case.

• Like 2

Gas
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Or an Immigration Officer who wasn't sure what they should do and stamped both just in case.

Could be the case or maybe a new rule. Just got home and checked there expired passports which are still with us and there is no immigration stamps from the Philippines on their British passports.
 The latest passport to expire was in 2018 and we were abroad that year. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Gas said:

Could be the case or maybe a new rule. Just got home and checked there expired passports which are still with us and there is no immigration stamps from the Philippines on their British passports.
 The latest passport to expire was in 2018 and we were abroad that year. 

Could also be that the agents know that Filipinos (like my wife) like the stamps, so they are just stamping even though not required.

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Could also be that the agents know that Filipinos (like my wife) like the stamps, so they are just stamping even though not required.

:smile: that could also be the case. Most of our recent overseas trips have been to Australia and Hong Kong. The wife was disappointed, as neither have stamped our passports for a few years now. 

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

I got an answer to my own question. For the kids to leave the Philippines on a US passport without paying fines they need either a dual citizen document or a Philippine passport. They can come back to Philippines the same way. In our case, we will pick up their Philippine passport in 2 weeks. Oddly enough there is express service for children 7 and under, no need for appointment.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Greglm said:

I got an answer to my own question. For the kids to leave the Philippines on a US passport without paying fines they need either a dual citizen document or a Philippine passport. They can come back to Philippines the same way. In our case, we will pick up their Philippine passport in 2 weeks. Oddly enough there is express service for children 7 and under, no need for appointment.

Yup, old folks and kids go right to the front.  If your wife needs to renew, good time to do it, as she can get hers done with the kid.  My wife did that one time at DFA Angeles Marquee Mall.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Do you have dual citizen kids

I do, although I'm sure others may not yet and still find this information helpful.

a Filipino child needs a DSWD travel clearance to leave the country.

Even with parents? Unreal, so that's the source of everything:

the BI would need to see the U.S. passport or a Filipino passport with DSWD travel clearance.

In light of the previous rule that makes sense, and because of that one rule, which leads to both passports getting scanned on the way out, it's probably a good idea to get them both stamped anywhere else you travel even if it's not a requirement. For example

19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I In both Australia and PH, immigration scanned both passports.

Only because your origin is PH. If you're traveling from the US to AU and back to the US, any other passport is irrelevant.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Only because your origin is PH. If you're traveling from the US to AU and back to the US, any other passport is irrelevant.

Yes, but I suspect immigration in many countries is using these automated systems to quickly flag up travel anomalies that might indicate criminal activities.

• Like 1